4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Seriously considering racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Back from the dead

Seriously considering racing

Alright guys, im 16 and not a total dumbass, and i want to start racing my car. Obviously i mean legal racing at the dragstrip near me, buuuut... i already hit up the N2O forum and they said no-go for noobs, so now im looking for a few cheap mods that will have a positive effect at the track.
Im running a stock max w/ hacked intake. thats it. basically its an easel. First thing i am thinking is do a little weight loss, because 100 lbs = something like -.1 second... but yeah very long post, looking for help. thx!
Old 07-11-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by RockfordMax
Alright guys, im 16 and not a total dumbass, and i want to start racing my car.

That just made my day
Old 07-11-2005, 05:10 PM

well. of course everyone is going to say ypipe. catback.ecu...

unless you clean your tb and seafoam you car, thats most of the responses your going to get

for th 100lbs, remove your ac, Jack, spare, rear seats, and under the carpet theres a sound deadner that weighs 34lbs

age has nothing to do with it, i started spraying at 17
Old 07-11-2005, 05:22 PM

just dont get too crazy about it, it seems everytime i leave the track i want something else for my car, sooner or later its gonna catch up to ya, unless ur loaded wit cash. oh yeh, dont skip school to install that nitrous or turbo urself!!
Old 07-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Back from the dead

haha thanks for the honest no flamer. i think im gonna start with a ypipe and see how the butt dyno feels after that. then ill probably move to lightening a bit. thanks again tho. its really appreciated.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:33 PM

wieght loss = take off your alarm, stock seats, system, ac, rear seats, the deadener of course, the heal liner, the rear deck...pretty much gut the entire car except for things that you dont need..and also if you are fat lose about 100 lbs it will also give you gains i promise.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:41 PM

i say go nitrous, thats wut imma do next. try a 75 shot, just learn about it first, and if u get it only use it at the track, and respect it i guess. should be good, people always say noob this and noob that, trying to convince u and crap, but wut they fail to realize is that everyone starts somewhere, the nitrous group didnt have nitrous at one time, u feel me
Old 07-11-2005, 05:59 PM
MaximaPWR

...wait

since when does "16 years old" + "wanting to start racing" does not equal "total dumbass"?

Old 07-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Conecarver

This fall let's all get a date set for Byron when the temps drop a bit. Meanwhile practice your launches...
Old 07-11-2005, 06:04 PM

Are you gonna be racing at sycamore speedway?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Back from the dead

i dont really know atm. im making progress convincing my 'rents im a good and smart enough driver to race it, so once that gets cleared and they see that im not a complete fool we can go from there. im definately down for any area max get togethers tho. ill bring mine or my dads 05. and ive got an auto so i cant truly work the art of launching, but i can try lol.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 PM

make sure u got a good knock sensor first tho, it'll really pi$$ u off! i wrote a freakin thread couple days ago bout my problem!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by RockfordMax
i dont really know atm. im making progress convincing my 'rents im a good and smart enough driver to race it, so once that gets cleared and they see that im not a complete fool we can go from there. im definately down for any area max get togethers tho. ill bring mine or my dads 05. and ive got an auto so i cant truly work the art of launching, but i can try lol.
auto!? ouch. Major ouch. NOT good if you wanna race. I suggest buying a manuel trans car/maxima if you're even thinking about racing.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:26 PM

ya get rid of the auto dude ah who needs a track when they live there life a quarter mile at a time
Old 07-11-2005, 06:26 PM

well, u gotta torque brake, but ive heard its bad, mostly anything that deals with speed is bad for ur auto. dont worry man, i got auto too.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:30 PM

where is the deadner?? what is it for?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:57 PM

wtf? did you say take out your alarm? why the fawk would you want to do that.

Rockfordmax, i hear you about wanting to race. if i were u i would take timeslips of your car NOW the way it is stock. so when you do mods on the car, you could see how much of a difference it made or what not.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxiquin
where is the deadner?? what is it for?
Seriously? It's a sound deadener just like he said, guess what it does.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:10 PM

well i respect all racers out there street racers, track racers all of em i am one myself an unlicensed one but one nonetheless. i say this go out and have fun. weight out your consequences and when you take all into consideration death, loss of license, and negatives and weigh them next to being known as a maxima racer, making your teen years fun and having a great time and you come up with your verdict if it is to still race or not have fun either way i love my max and i love taking people out in thier 2 doors with full leather and all i am working on installing just a couple more mods and smashing some previous records once i get back on the road in a few months be safe drive fast have fun.
as for your mods:y-pipe, straight pipe, catback, intake, to start then suspension is a must maybe a 00VI a ECU and then youll be eating them alive...
Old 07-11-2005, 07:20 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Originally Posted by SiCkBLaCKMaX99
well i respect all racers out there street racers, track racers all of em i am one myself an unlicensed one but one nonetheless. i say this go out and have fun. weight out your consequences and when you take all into consideration death, loss of license, and negatives and weigh them next to being known as a maxima racer, making your teen years fun and having a great time and you come up with your verdict if it is to still race or not have fun either way i love my max and i love taking people out in thier 2 doors with full leather and all i am working on installing just a couple more mods and smashing some previous records once i get back on the road in a few months be safe drive fast have fun.
as for your mods:y-pipe, straight pipe, catback, intake, to start then suspension is a must maybe a 00VI a ECU and then youll be eating them alive...
He's not talking about street racing. :rolleyes

If you're serious about racing, be ready to dump some serious cash into your car. The Maxima is NOT the ideal platform for any type of racing because it's FWD. Your car specifically has a serious transmission issue as a 5spd (or some of your competitors will have a 6spd) will destroy you on a road course. Not to mention our suspensions aren't exactly setup for autocross. Sure, there's the aftermarket but the people you're running will have cars that were built for or around this type of activity. They will come at you with AWD, 50/50 weight balance, and 10x the aftermarket selection that we have.

If you want to build a 1/4 mile queen, take the auto out, cryo treat and otherwise bulletproof the transmission. Then, 3.5L swap with boost. You still are confronted with the issue of effectively transferring the power to the ground. Look at Nealoc187 and his 500hp behemoth. He can't shift fast at the track or he breaks loose.

Word to the wise, go to college and get a job because it ain't gonna happen.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Bacon Lover

Honestly, what's so wrong with a 16-year-old racing at the track and attempting to be responsible and safe about it?

Atleast he's not talking about street racing like SOME idiots on this board
Old 07-11-2005, 07:43 PM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by THT
He's not talking about street racing. :rolleyes

If you're serious about racing, be ready to dump some serious cash into your car. The Maxima is NOT the ideal platform for any type of racing because it's FWD. Your car specifically has a serious transmission issue as a 5spd (or some of your competitors will have a 6spd) will destroy you on a road course. Not to mention our suspensions aren't exactly setup for autocross. Sure, there's the aftermarket but the people you're running will have cars that were built for or around this type of activity. They will come at you with AWD, 50/50 weight balance, and 10x the aftermarket selection that we have.

If you want to build a 1/4 mile queen, take the auto out, cryo treat and otherwise bulletproof the transmission. Then, 3.5L swap with boost. You still are confronted with the issue of effectively transferring the power to the ground. Look at Nealoc187 and his 500hp behemoth. He can't shift fast at the track or he breaks loose.

Word to the wise, go to college and get a job because it ain't gonna happen.

ahhh, someone finally came along with a slap of reality right in the face.

i'm sure the max is your first car, right? so you probably want to start racing right away. well, either face the facts and realize that whatever you do, you're still driving what was meant to be a 4-door family sedan, while others have rally-bred sports cars. so good advice is to tinker around with what you have, nothin too serious, but enough so that when you do have a good opportunity, you will know what to do.

just somethin to think about...
Old 07-11-2005, 07:51 PM

put alot of though to it
Old 07-11-2005, 08:28 PM

I'm new here on the org, but i've been driving sice i was 14 (i didn't start early enough if you ask me)the first car i learned how to drive was a 5spd. I'm 17 now and my first car is a 96 auto. All i have done right now is a Weapon-R dragon intake, but i still took it to the track just to see what it could do. It was my first time racing my car, and i plan on going again after i order and get my y-pipe, to see what effect the y-pipe will have on my time. I'll also have proof to show my parents that i'm not just blowing my hard earned money on stupid stuff and that the parts actually give me a gain. I'm just looking for a way to get the most out of my car, so i can enjoy it. So i don't care what any one says this should qualify me for a little bit of clean legal fun.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/806787/3
Old 07-11-2005, 09:51 PM

my best suggestion right now is if you want to race. You can't have a parent issue. I mean it should be just you and the car. Not you parents and car.

First step IMO is not to just hop on the track and race. Its just to chill out in the pits and crowds, I mean i learned a good amount of knowledge in about 3 weekends at the track then i ever did at automotive tech school for a year. You learn what mistakes they made and why. Only thing is you gotta transfer the ideas from their cars into yours.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:57 AM
Wild for Width

I think the stock setup is more than enough car for you. Improve your driving skill. You don't have to run 10s to have a great time at the track.

The reason why I say this was the remark about hitting the N20 forums first. To me that just says you want to be fast NOW which is cool, but I think you will get way more out of it if you learn your car and the basics of (legally) racing it.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:09 AM

Being that you are 16 y/o, you lack plenty of experience. You need to gain experience thru supervised practices. You said you are not a total dummy, what exactly did you mean by that? Do you know how to do basic maneuvers to regain control of your car just in case you loose traction? You can put all the bolt on mods in your car but if you don't have the basic knowledge in race maneuvers, launches, etc.... you'll be waisting a lot of your time and money. So the most logical suggestion for you is to learn the basics first, know the limitations of your car. Then start with the rest.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:58 AM

16? First off you got the wrong car to race. Second wrong forums for you. I think the toddlers forums is down the hall.

Do something wise man make ur car look good, make it sound good thats it.

Proph
Old 07-12-2005, 05:42 AM

I feel you bro. I am 18 and everytime I watch the Fast and the Furious, street racing videos, or talk to the boys and they are talking about cars I just want to jump in the bucket. We definately don't have the car to do it unless you are planning on putting some serious cash in (BTW I am auto too). The basic exhaust will cost at least 700 if you do it all. Drop ECU for at least 350. 00VI/MEVI is going to cost you at least 350. UDP and Flywheel ... over 400. Forced Induction ... I am not even going to go there. I don't see the logic for me to dump all this cash in and STILL get spanked by those who have the free flowing cash in their Supras, 3000GTs, Cobras, or hell ... sleeper Civics.

Get yourself a Cattman Y-pipe and stay there. LOL ... So far I have spanked a Taurus and lost to a Mustang-GT by one car length with my Budget-Y. It is nothing to brag about.

To sum up everything ... our car is a family sedan ... it isn't worth it.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:20 AM

good luck....

http://members.max-world.org/modules...q=getit&lid=28
Old 07-12-2005, 07:27 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by MaximaPWR
...wait

since when does "16 years old" + "wanting to start racing" does not equal "total dumbass"?
In every instance a 8-16 year old races Karts.

Most Fast and Furious wannabe's are dumbasses, especially when they're young. But if this kid wants to race, why flame him?
A Max isn't the ideal platform for any type of racing, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. But hey, those hillbillies running moonshine cars through the back roads of the south weren't ideal platforms either. But they still race those "taxi cabs"-based cars, how do you think they're doing now?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:47 AM
blah

Originally Posted by MaximaPWR
...wait

no, it's owing an auto maxima + "wanting to start racing" = "total dumbass"
Old 07-12-2005, 07:50 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Prophecy1
16? First off you got the wrong car to race. Second wrong forums for you. I think the toddlers forums is down the hall.

Proph
You're an @$$hole. Please leave these forums and never come back. We don't need people like you here.

The rest of you, I think he gets the idea. I've talked to the kid online and he seems to be atleast DECENTLY knowledgeable about what he's doing, he just needs the actual experience. Why discourage him? We own Maxima's, so what? So they may not be the ideal platform for like ANYTHING, so what? Why do the rest of you mod your cars? Stop wasting money on them if they're such a "bad platform."

Personally, I'm going to the track this weekend. I'm 16 years old. I have 0 drag racing experience. Ask me if I care. How am I going to learn if I don't try it? I'll suck the first time, guaranteed. But I'm going with a bunch of guys who know what they're doing (a group of supercharged GM W-body guys) and they'll help me out. It's also known for being a very learner-friendly track.

Cut the kid some slack, and offer some good advice...don't just flame him.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Kevlo for President

I started modding the car before I could even drive
Old 07-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
I started modding the car before I could even drive
Kevlo, putting spiderman stickers on your car window when you were 5 yrs old doesn't count as modding
Old 07-12-2005, 08:23 AM

if you want to race then go race, but start out stock. i have never raced my car because now its to the point where i dont have the skills to do it... the 3.5 swap and cams with slicks obliterated my chances of driving my car and now i dont have the guts to take it. race it stock first so you can get the feel of how it is, then mod it.... slowly.... there is nothing wrong with racing a maxima. look at mardigras. i would rather race a maxima than a civic any day cause at least you stand out. its nice to watch my car smoke mustangs and keep camaro's (some, not all).... but i wish it was me behind the wheel and not tilley. and keep the auto for now. it will be better to learn on and honestly, it makes drag racing easier if your trans is tough enough to take it because less time between shifts and less work for you! do whatever you want, but be sensible, and its good to hear that you want to race at the track and not on the street
Old 07-12-2005, 09:06 AM

best thing to do for an auto is VB modd exhaust and then get some nitrious autos handle nitrious quit nicely ask jimme about his times at the tracks with his autos with nitrious.Maximas are surprizing cars with the right stuff in them
Old 07-12-2005, 09:09 AM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by Fr33way
I think the stock setup is more than enough car for you. Improve your driving skill. You don't have to run 10s to have a great time at the track.

The reason why I say this was the remark about hitting the N20 forums first. To me that just says you want to be fast NOW which is cool, but I think you will get way more out of it if you learn your car and the basics of (legally) racing it.

THIS man has the best point...........

Hell I go to a crappy 1//8mile strip near me just to practice my launches.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:13 AM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by Prophecy1

Proph

why do you say this? i think that was way out of line, even if it was just in good fun. age shouldn't have anything to do with it. there are 18 year olds on here that act more mature than some 20 year olds. and if he really wants to work on the car and improve it's performance, let him. you gotta start somewhere, and the younger, the better, asuming the maturity is there also.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Maxima Owner

I SAY GO FOR IT......i love my maxima i have had one since i was 19 and raced them all...i know i am not always gonna win at drags or auto-x but its a whole lot of fun....aint nothing like seeing a 4dr family sedan doing the slaloms.....and i ahve beat alot of capable cars as well.....somtimes its not always the car its the driver....so i say get ur azz a y-pipe and a cat-back....get some experience then go for more of the bigger mods.......just remember you are doing this for the love of the sport and yourself.......ps.....i have beaten Miatas in auto-x and mustangs at the track....its fun to see the look on their face when they lose to a Maxima with full interior and A/C running as cold as can be

Quick Reply: Seriously considering racing