4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 04:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I tried to change my fuel filter and I have failed. Can someone tell me how you are supposed to unscrew the hose on the bottom of the filter? I mean there is no slack in the hose whatsoever. Do have to get in there from underneath the car? or do you need special tools? Please help. Thanks in advance
Old 05-21-2001, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by gmytra
I tried to change my fuel filter and I have failed. Can someone tell me how you are supposed to unscrew the hose on the bottom of the filter? I mean there is no slack in the hose whatsoever. Do have to get in there from underneath the car? or do you need special tools? Please help. Thanks in advance
Most owners get at the filter from above. It is somewhat more difficult to reach if your Maxima is equipped with ABS. It does not require any special tools. It does require manual dexterity and patience. Some fellows say it is a terrible ordeal; others say "piece of cake".

See http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/mega...0k_service.html
and scroll down to Step 3, Fuel Filter.

Go to Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQ page:
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/
Click on SUBTOPICS below Maintenance.
Click on Changing the Fuel Filter
Old 05-21-2001, 05:44 PM
RKS

clamp...

Originally posted by gmytra
I found it easier to get to the bottom screws after I pulled the filter out of the c-shaped clamp but changing the filter wasn't the easiest task.
Old 05-21-2001, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Use a short Philips to unscrew the top and bottom screws. Use pliers just to break the hoses free from the filter by holding the hose and twisting the filter back and forth. USE CARE!! Don't use so much pressure that you destroy the hoses with the pliers.

Keep the new filter close so when you disconnect the first hose, you can just pop in the new filter immediately.

Do the top hose first and when you get the top hose off, fold the hose so gas will not leak all over the place.

Insert the new filter to the hose and position the filter with the bottom in the upright position so that gas doesn't spill all over the place.

Now disconnect the old filter from the bottom hose. When you get it off, lay in on its side. Again, you don't want the fuel to spill all over the place.

Now all you'll need to do is connect the bottom hose to the new filter and put everything back in its proper order.

It can take some time but you have to have patients.