4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Upgrading crappy BOSE deck, couple Q's...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 07:41 PM

I'm upgrading my 99 BOSE unit to a Sony deck, new component speakers, amps, and a sub, so I will be replacing everything...

2 questions:

1. what's the best way to mount 2 amps in the trunk, I'll be using a JL stealth subwoofer that cozies right into the left rear corner of the trunk

2. what size are the tweeters in the door w/ 99 BOSE unit, I want to get Pioneer premier or MB Quart, so I need to know if I need 3/4" or 1"??

Thanks guys

Justin
Old 10-10-2000, 07:43 PM

about the amps...

Does anyone have a good picture of amp(s) installed in their trunk?

thanks again

Justin
Old 10-11-2000, 07:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Your Bose is less than a year old and you think it is crappy? Can I ask why? I was thinking about upgrading my stock non-Bose to a stock Bose system and would like your input!

Jim
Old 10-11-2000, 07:51 AM

input

sorry for straying but .....

since your workin on chagin your speakers i got a ques ?

how do u take the covers off for the speakers in the front doors ???

i tried yesterday and it didn't budge just bent..
i'm afraid to apply tooo much pressure and crack the cover ..
are there clips or is it glued ?

thanx a lot

Ant
Old 10-11-2000, 09:18 AM

Re: input

dude, you have to take off the door panels in the front in order to get the front door speakers out! There are 2 screws at the bottom of the door and one in the small cup near the window up/down button. The door panels should come out easily with those 3 screws out.

cheers,

five
Originally posted by Ant95se

thanx a lot

Ant
Old 10-11-2000, 12:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: input

Originally posted by Ant95se

thanx a lot

Ant
Here are the crutchfield instructions for fourth gen max's
http://www.geocities.com/artourb/max...hoto_album.htm
Old 10-11-2000, 01:32 PM
Disco Biscuit

Here's a pic of mine. Amps are a little big.

So I built a removable panel that ends up covering the access hole.
Old 10-11-2000, 01:57 PM

Crappy Bose?

Crappy Bose deck...hardly, u need to check your ears if u think Bose sounds crappy...Don't insult the Max by puttin Sony crap in there.
Old 10-11-2000, 05:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dude, Bose is considered top of the line car and home stereo manufacturer. You r not upgrading but downgrading your stereo system. Believe me, u will regret this later.
Old 10-11-2000, 05:32 PM
Banned

mount to the rear side of the back seats...

like in the pic above...get a piece of wood and attach to the metal bars then attach the amp to the wood
Old 10-11-2000, 05:48 PM
Disco Biscuit

BOSE are great, but not the best.

They give good performance, but are pricey, and there are other manufacturers that make much better equipment.
Bose is by far the best as far as factory installations go.
Old 10-11-2000, 06:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bose is OK for a stock system, but for about the same amount of money, you can get aftermarket gear that sounds WAY better. Plus, Bose stuff is terribly unreliable. Everybody's Bose components break within a few years of being new, it seems.
Old 10-11-2000, 06:21 PM

WHOA

I will say it again:

1. BOSE only makes the speakers/amps, NOT the decks(Clarion) Oh by the way, they SUCK.

2. I couldn't agree more, you can get a decent system for not much more than it would cost you to go with the Clarion/BOSE.
Old 10-11-2000, 06:45 PM

OK dudes, replies inside...

Breaux, awesome, thanx for posting *Illustrated Instructions* !! However, that's not a BOSE system (at least it's nothing like mine), but a great help.

Ryan and Whitemax, that's where I was heading with the amps, just wanted to see if anyone else had any different ideas, thanks guys. Hey Whitemax, any more pictures of that board? Like what does it look like out of the trunk, how about the wiring?

Andy and Maxrod, hey guys, no disrespect here, but..
AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! Did I insult the Maxima by putting Eibach springs on it? No, I made it lower, more aggressive, and better-handling.
Does a Sony ES CD player insult the Max? No, it just makes it sound better. I don't think the BOSE necessarily sounds crappy, just cheap. Go search for posts about the factory BOSE systems in these forums. You'll find that the speakers blow out, the CD player skips, and the whole system is just poor quality.
Just so you get a sense of where I'm coming from, here are my justifications for the upgrade:

1. Deck: no disk naming, *VERY* basic display, no remote, umm, this is just a basic CD player, mediocre tuner, and tape (?) deck... who the hell has tapes these days?.

2. speakers: decent, but I'd rather have upgraded speakers that can handle some real power from a real amp, not the ****-ant little BOSE amps.

3. CD changer: I could buy 3!!!! aftermarket 10-disk cd changers for the price of 1 Bose changer from Nissan, and I will.

4. I want to replace this stuff *before* it breaks and I'm stuck with no radio.

Anyways, thanks everyone for your input, and I hope I've at least begun to change some of your minds.

OK time to get some dinner.

Justin
Old 10-11-2000, 07:45 PM
Disco Biscuit

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the board.

I might redo it just because.(no reason) It is basiclly a 1\2 in thick mdf board that is cut to match the back seat in the trunk, including the access hole. Because of the size of the amps and the fact that the power and speaker connections are on the bottom, they are routed down in under the back seat. Then there is a board covered in black vinyl that trims it off. If your planning on using a stealthbox, the back seat is the easiest and best place, cause they're up and out of the way, and you keep almost all of your trunk space.Depending on the amps your going to use, just build a box that matches the back of the back seat put one amp on each side of the hole, and put a cover over them. Works for me....
Old 10-11-2000, 08:11 PM

Yeah, I was considering a board with a portion cut outta the middle so the rear seat pass-thru still works... never had to use it, but...
Oh and how about gray carpet to cover the board? What influenced your decision to go with black vinyl (maybe that's part of the re-design)?
thanks for the further explanation, Whitemax.

Justin
Old 10-12-2000, 05:45 AM
Disco Biscuit

Grey carpet is fine.

I am in the process of trying to redo the trunk in Black, since all Maxima trunks come grey. If you check out my web site you can also see how I flush mounted the crossover on the bottom of the trunk lid. I want to redo the amp panel just so I can get the hole back. with the way the cover panel is, if I had cut the out the hole, I wouldn't have had enough material to attatch the vinyl.
Old 10-12-2000, 01:21 PM

Nice install on the X-over

I like how you mounted it under the trunk. And yeah, I can see with those huge amps, there wouldn't be much room for a hole or anything else in that board if you cut it up. Also have u ever had an RSTB in there, I bet there's no room for it with the amps, just a thought (esp. since I do have an RSTB).