4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starter replacement part 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Starter replacement part 1

I read just about every starter thread and found them all helpful to a certain degree, however I think I can add a bit. The overall procedure is simple. Take out the battery and all the air intake tubing, boxes, filter,snorkles etc. Disconnect the battery to the starter lead (one nut) and disconnect the thin lead from the connector.

This will allow you to see the starter and with the removal or pushing out of the way (various wiring harnesses) you will be able to see the two bolts that hold the starter to the engine.

The short bolt is a 14 mm bolt. Mine came out very easily and I figured I was set. The next bolt is a 17 mm. I started with a 3/8 " drive it would not budge. I moved up to a 1/2" drive with a 17 mm impact socket. It would not budge. I tried spraying PB on the bolt, I tried banging on the bolt and more PB (liquid wrench stuff). Finally with an additional 12" pipe as a breaker bar on the 1/2" rachet it broke free. That bolt is really in there. I would guess at better than 50 ft/lb (?) of torque. Anyhow it is a lot, and it will take a lot of puling even with an extension.

Don't bother with PB or any other such product, the threads that you would like to reach are 4-5" from where you can spray.

Just get a 1/2 rachet and a 1/2 drive 17mm and a breaker bar and it will come loose.

I for some reason have a problem getting electrical push together connectors apart. It took ten minutes to get the thin wire connector apart. I have no real understanding of what I did to get it apart but I think it just needs to get wiggled apart. I could find no catch.

This is part 1 as my starter has not arrived.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by wahoohead
I read just about every starter thread and found them all helpful to a certain degree, however I think I can add a bit. The overall procedure is simple. Take out the battery and all the air intake tubing, boxes, filter,snorkles etc. Disconnect the battery to the starter lead (one nut) and disconnect the thin lead from the connector.

This will allow you to see the starter and with the removal or pushing out of the way (various wiring harnesses) you will be able to see the two bolts that hold the starter to the engine.

The short bolt is a 14 mm bolt. Mine cam out very easily and I figured I was set. The next bolt is a 17 mm. I started with a 3/8 " drive it would not budge. I moved up to a 1/2" drive with a 17 mm impact socket. It would not budge. I tried spraying PB on the bolt, I tried banging on the bolt and more PB (liquid wrench stuff). Finally with an additional 12" pipe as a breaker bar on the 1/2" rachet it broke free.

Don't bother with PB or any other such product, the thread that you would like to reach are 4-5" from where you can spray.

Just get a 1/2 rachet and a 1/2 drive 17mm and a breaker bar and it will come loose.

I for some reason have a problem getting electrical push together connectors apart. It took ten minutes to get the thin wire connector apart. I have no real understanding of what I did to get it apart but I think it just needs to get wiggled apart. I could find no catch.

I agree with your procedure...but you can still get to the starter without taking out your battery. Just disconnect the ground and you still have more than enough room.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:57 AM

Battery was shot

I had to replace the battery anyways so it was already out. I agree you will problably have enough room with the battery in but more room is more better.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:05 AM

add it to the stickies
Old 08-11-2005, 11:10 AM

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/516

And yes that one bolt is REALLY ON THERE!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by wahoohead

The short bolt is a 14 mm bolt. Mine came out very easily and I figured I was set. The next bolt is a 17 mm. I started with a 3/8 " drive it would not budge. I moved up to a 1/2" drive with a 17 mm impact socket. It would not budge. I tried spraying PB on the bolt, I tried banging on the bolt and more PB (liquid wrench stuff). Finally with an additional 12" pipe as a breaker bar on the 1/2" rachet it broke free. That bolt is really in there. I would guess at better than 50 ft/lb (?) of torque. Anyhow it is a lot, and it will take a lot of puling even with an extension.

Don't bother with PB or any other such product, the threads that you would like to reach are 4-5" from where you can spray.

This is where I'm stuck too. The 17mm bolt, I'm getting a break bar tomorrow so I can put on my new starter. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 AM

The breaker bar ought to get you home on that bolt.