4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

random stalling, hesitation, sputtering...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 AM

I started to have this problem as well. However, I noticed I was able to accelerate just fine at or near WOT. That means it's not a problem with fuel, and likely not a problem with the MAF (especially since I've cleaned it 3 times in the past month with the correct cleaner) So I pulled up the code via the screwdriver method and came up with TPS. And it make sense too, because if the ECU doesn't know where the throttle is it won't know the amount of fuel to put in as accurately. So ASAP I'll replace it and see how that goes.

Check to see if you're ECU throws a code for the throttle position sensor. To double check I cleared the codes, restarted the car, and while playing with the throttle saw the CEL come on. Viola, it popped out a TPS code.

here's a link to how it's donehttp://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Automob...a_screw_driver
Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by dtortor1
When I cleaned it I took off four screws, the stickie for dummies didn't have any pics of the actual cleaning of the MAF.

Once I took them off, I was afraid I'd broken something connection wise. i just went ahead and sprayed in there and any other hole I could find.

Was I supposed to take those screws off?

I can't believe all the problems from some dirt on a little tiny wire hidden in my air intake! Crazy...
Takin off the MAF easy. But can be unsettling if it the first time.

Basically yes, remove the four screws on one side of the MAF. Then loosen clamp on the other side of the MAF. Take it out, spray with MAF cleaner. Let it air dry like 20 min. Reinstall. Congrats, u done.

That lil wire u referring too can CAUSE all types of problems. We veterans alreay know about the MAF. PITA, but its integral to the Maxi.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by shadetreemech77
I started to have this problem as well. However, I noticed I was able to accelerate just fine at or near WOT. That means it's not a problem with fuel, and likely not a problem with the MAF (especially since I've cleaned it 3 times in the past month with the correct cleaner) So I pulled up the code via the screwdriver method and came up with TPS. And it make sense too, because if the ECU doesn't know where the throttle is it won't know the amount of fuel to put in as accurately. So ASAP I'll replace it and see how that goes.

Check to see if you're ECU throws a code for the throttle position sensor. To double check I cleared the codes, restarted the car, and while playing with the throttle saw the CEL come on. Viola, it popped out a TPS code.

here's a link to how it's donehttp://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Automobile_Repair/Nissan/Maxima_(4th_Generation)/With_only_a_screw_driver

Definitely replace TPS.

Do a SEARCH, there is thread for replacing TPS and calibrating it. There is a tricky method u have to follow.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM

On the MAF I just took loose the whole top of the air box from the rubber tube heading to the throttle. The MAF is thus exposed to being sprayed without having to risk damaging the thing. The MAF spray I got had a good fine stream sprayer that made removing it from the body of the airbox unecessary.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Dear God, I am sick of all these stalling and electrical problems our cars have. I am on the brink of just pushing it down a hill and getting some old beater Civic.

So if you guys have seen my thread from a while ago, I had a stalling and sputtering problem, because of my car running excessively lean, and so I spent weeks checking O2 sensors, TPS sensors, and ended up changing the MAF and I thought that was the end of my problems.

Now its running WAY too rich, and stalling and sputtering AGAIN! I can smell the excess gas from my exhaust as well and sometimes I see black smoke which is a definite indicator of too much gas. And so, after reading a bit I think it might be the ECTS but I for one would like to say technology SUCKS. I mean my engine and everything mechanical works like a dream, its just these damn sensors that are tearing my hair out and ripping holes in my wallet.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Dear God, I am sick of all these stalling and electrical problems our cars have. I am on the brink of just pushing it down a hill and getting some old beater Civic.

So if you guys have seen my thread from a while ago, I had a stalling and sputtering problem, because of my car running excessively lean, and so I spent weeks checking O2 sensors, TPS sensors, and ended up changing the MAF and I thought that was the end of my problems.

Now its running WAY too rich, and stalling and sputtering AGAIN! I can smell the excess gas from my exhaust as well and sometimes I see black smoke which is a definite indicator of too much gas. And so, after reading a bit I think it might be the ECTS but I for one would like to say technology SUCKS. I mean my engine and everything mechanical works like a dream, its just these damn sensors that are tearing my hair out and ripping holes in my wallet.

Do you have any cel codes on?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:40 AM

might jus be o2 sensors on their way out. But o2 sensors wouldnt cause sputtering. Seems like u have a pinched air line or somethin

might have to bite the bullet and jus let nissan diagnose. Thats gonna run 100 bucks jus for them to check it. Jus make sure they do the 100 points test too. At least u will get that extra value.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:54 AM

now that i have the sputtering fixed I too am noticing that I am running extremely rich. I did have an o2 code on but after cleaning the MAF, IACV, and TB and resettign the codes, the only two that have came back on are knock sensor P0325 and P1441 vacuum cut bypass valve.

i'm wondering what my next move should be? I can watch the needle move when I drive, I need to make some change!

Dom
Old 06-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

still having problem.

I am new here and really need some help. My 00 SE has 111k and I have taken very good care of it. I live in an inspection area and noticed a check engine light about 2 months before the inspection and registration renewal was due. I took it to some random shop recommended by a friend for oil change, fix what the sensor was doing and to check out an occasional shudder at stoplights.

I travel a lot and these clowns kept my car for about 2 weeks total. replaced the MAF, a coil, "flushed" the entire engine, cleaned TB, yada, yada.

$1,100+

still have check engine WARNING
shudders like crazy all the time now the check light flashes
so no inspection and therefore no registration renewal.

I have another car so not a huge deal but I want this fixed. The crap meineke auto care place says they cannot give a refund and have no clue what else to do. They claimed to have replaced every coil and still got misfires on random coils throughout the time it was there. My options are to take it to dealer or pay $250 for an outside diagnostic tech to come in who has special equipment.

Im getting hosed here...please advise.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:47 PM

All of you with this stalling, no power, black smoke problem need to check you CATALYTIC CONVERTER ... My car developed the same exact issues - only one code showing (knock sensor - which I've order but has yet to arrive) - however, after 'fixing' my Catalytic Converter - my car runs awesome again... it's actually better than when I bought 4 months ago.

(edit: - I all capped cat converter and then only capped the 1st letters in order that future searches will find it.)
Old 06-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
All of you with this stalling, no power, black smoke problem need to check you CATALYTIC CONVERTER ... My car developed the same exact issues - only one code showing (knock sensor - which I've order but has yet to arrive) - however, after 'fixing' my Catalytic Converter - my car runs awesome again... it's actually better than when I bought 4 months ago.

(edit: - I all capped cat converter and then only capped the 1st letters in order that future searches will find it.)

I was curious of that. My research shows three cats. Did you change all three?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by hargate
I was curious of that. My research shows three cats. Did you change all three?
Do more research - pre-cat/cat/pre-muffler/muffler .. only the cat itself was clogged/changed.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:26 PM

I am able to narrow down my issue to MAF, today I drove keeping MAF disconnected...I ordered MAF off E-bay but I guess it might take a while..

Would driving without MAF would do any harm to engine ? I am managing to go up to speed of 60-65 MPH on highway without MAF can this do any serious damage to my car ?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:39 AM

Haha I found a solution!!

As it turned out my sputtering and stalling problem was because of a bad MAF then I replaced that MAF with a aftermarket one that had a short, causing the sensor to read that I was basically FLOORING it the entire time the car is on. And so I took the MAF back and got yet another MAF and up until this day my car is still running smooth.

As for driving without the MAF, I think you CAN do it, but when I tried the car would die after moving like 2 feet... it would idle fine without the MAF but when it came to driving it wouldn't go without it connected.