4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How do you race and how do you burn out in an auto???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 08:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

CAn anyone explaing the steps or how to????
Old 05-24-2001, 09:30 PM
Klamath

Racing (quite simple):
1. Press brake pedal multiple times.
2. Hold brakes very hard.
3. Press gas until desired rate of RPMS (stay low)
4. Let go of brakes and mash gas.
5. Hold gas until the other guy knows how badly he's been whupped.

Burnout:
No clue. Unless the tires are pretty bad, it doesn't sound like an easy thing to do with the auto. Most wheelspin I've gotten from just mashing the gas was about 2 seconds off the stock tires. Not much of a burnout!

Old 05-24-2001, 09:34 PM

Is it really bad for the brakes if you hold them down while u step on the gas?
Old 05-24-2001, 09:55 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

1)Turn off Overdrive
2)DO NOT STEP ON THE GAS AND BRAKE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME...Unless you want to be replaceing some expensive tranny components.
3)You can step on the brakes and bring the rpms up to about 12-1800 rpms and then immediatly release them and mash the gas. This will give you quite a bit of wheelspin with stock tires, but produces the best launch of found so far. If anyone knows a better way, please let me know.
4)Keep your foot to the floor, don't forget to wave goodbye.
Burnouts: Just mash the gas. I could spin my stock tires all day. 225's are a bit harder though. Don't neutral drop unless you want to purchase a new tranny real soon! That will produce the best burnout though....BOOM.... You can also pull the parking brake to help hold you still and let er rip. Just my $.02
Old 05-24-2001, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by mtrai760
3)You can step on the brakes and bring the rpms up to about 12-18k and then immediatly release them and mash the gas. This will give you quite a bit of wheelspin with stock tires, but produces the best launch of found so far. If anyone knows a better way, please let me know.
Feel free to let us know what you've done to your Maxima to let it rev to 12k.
Old 05-24-2001, 10:36 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by guido_sst

Feel free to let us know what you've done to your Maxima to let it rev to 12k.

typo
Old 05-24-2001, 10:42 PM

1)Turn off Overdrive
2)DO NOT STEP ON THE GAS AND BRAKE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME...Unless you want to be replaceing some expensive tranny components.
3)You can step on the brakes and bring the rpms up to about 12-1800 rpms and then immediatly release them and mash the gas. This will give you quite a bit of wheelspin with stock tires, but produces the best launch of found so far. If anyone knows a better way, please let me know.
4)Keep your foot to the floor, don't forget to wave goodbye.
Burnouts: Just mash the gas. I could spin my stock tires all day. 225's are a bit harder though. Don't neutral drop unless you want to purchase a new tranny real soon! That will produce the best burnout though....BOOM.... You can also pull the parking brake to help hold you still and let er rip. Just my $.02
That's basically the best way for me to get a good launch. I don't really hold the brake that long, it more like mixing the gas and brake together. I hold the brake and right when I slam on the gas, I'm just letting off the brake so that the brake pads give it a little slingshot reaction. I do get more whelspin that way, but not much on my daily wheels (17"s).
Old 05-25-2001, 04:33 AM
Master Will

I do real good burnouts....

on good dry fresh pavement(they are paving in my area)and going up hill from a redlight or just nailing it from a dead stop or rolling back in reverse then to drive from there...and also when it is wet obviously....but then again my wheels ADR(ADVANTI DESIGN RACING)GT-Sport Silver-15x6.5" only weigh 15 lbs. each and all I have is a an intake and exhaust on the stock size tires...205/65R15 Tires

quotes people have said

"I have never seen a FWD do THAT Before"

"A MAXIMA can spinn wheels no.....do it.....damn....man..."

"You will need new tires soon.....as easy as they spin like that...."

"A MAXIMA is NOT supposed to be able to that....."
Old 05-25-2001, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by 97MaxGLE
Is it really bad for the brakes if you hold them down while u step on the gas?
It doesn't hurt the brakes at all. On the other hand, it generates a lot of heat in the torque converter, and heat is the big killer of automatic transmissions. The factory service manual cautions against doing this for more than five seconds.
Old 05-25-2001, 07:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

1)Turn off Overdrive
Turning OD off won't help you launch faster.
Old 05-25-2001, 07:42 AM
JimW

You really shouldn't do this, not with a stock automatic transmission-->

Originally posted by NISMOPower
I think I can be crowned "King of the blown auto trannies" I personally went through 2 automatics. One lasted 83k with some pretty rough street miles. I was a regular street racer, engaging in just about any stoplight match that I encountered.
For the last 15k of those 83, I was on the track pretty regularly. I called myself being good to the tranny, letting the engine idle for about 10 minutes after each run, to let the fluid cool off, and so on.
I did subject the car to several burnouts, as this was a regular part of my racing routine, a small 2-3 second burnout to clean the tires, and then to the launch pad.
I then had the tranny rebuilt with some extra goodies, high-stall convertor, shift kit, add on cooler.
I then treated that tranny a little harsher, as it was supposed to be able to handle some more abuse. It did pretty well, but I proceeded to roast that one also.
A burnout is very easy in an automatic. I would routinely do the following.
1. apply the parking brake. Shift transmission into 1st gear
2. hold the foot brake slightly (just enough pressure to hold the car from rolling)
3. in one motion, release the service brake (brake pedal) and quickly stomp the accelerator to the floor.
4. front tires will spin, quite easily (at least in my case they did) and will continue to spin. I would hold the rpms to about 2500 in first gear.
5. release the parking brake, and gradually release the accelerator to allow the tires to hook up with the car rolling slowly.

This was my standard while at the drag strip. Keep in mind, the shock from the front tires engaging will damage the transmission in a hurry. If you burnout and just take your foot off the throttle and the tires hook up abruptly, then you WILL damage your transmission, posthastse.

Now, an old time Max enthusiast (Jose) one time showed me how to do a standing start burnout (meaning, roasting the tires Mustang GT style) from a stoplight without powerbraking or anything like that. In a modded Max like mine was (Y-pipe, intake and exhaust) I could obliterate the tires until 2nd gear. It was unreal the way this could be done. Jose also took some heat at the Giants stadium meet in '99 with his burnout that was on videotape. All types of rumors were flying about how he had NOS or a Blower or other stuff, when all he had was a GReddy and Y-pipe.
From a dead stop, release the brake. You would then apply the throttle like squeezing a shotgun trigger. You would lightly depress the throttle, and once the tach was reading 1100 rpm, got WOT all at once. The car would smoothly roll off the line, and at about 2-3 mph, the front tires would go up in smoke. Literally, like a 5.0 Mustang could light 'em up. In my car, you would smoke them for about 25-30 ft, even longer if you tried hard enough. While this was good for nothing other than wearing out your tires in short order, I'll admit, it was fun in a childish way.
Keep in mind, you will do this at your own risk, and I will assume no responsibility for what happens to you or your car.

Old 05-25-2001, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by AndyXXL
Turning OD off won't help you launch faster.
That's right. O/D OFF locks out 4th gear. That's what it does, and that's all it does.
Old 05-25-2001, 07:58 AM
JimW

I think I can be crowned "King of the blown auto trannies" I personally went through 2 automatics. One lasted 83k with some pretty rough street miles. I was a regular street racer, engaging in just about any stoplight match that I encountered.
For the last 15k of those 83, I was on the track pretty regularly. I called myself being good to the tranny, letting the engine idle for about 10 minutes after each run, to let the fluid cool off, and so on.
I did subject the car to several burnouts, as this was a regular part of my racing routine, a small 2-3 second burnout to clean the tires, and then to the launch pad.
I then had the tranny rebuilt with some extra goodies, high-stall convertor, shift kit, add on cooler.
I then treated that tranny a little harsher, as it was supposed to be able to handle some more abuse. It did pretty well, but I proceeded to roast that one also.
2. hold the foot brake slightly (just enough pressure to hold the car from rolling)
3. in one motion, release the service brake (brake pedal) and quickly stomp the accelerator to the floor.
4. front tires will spin, quite easily (at least in my case they did) and will continue to spin. I would hold the rpms to about 2500 in first gear.
5. release the parking brake, and gradually release the accelerator to allow the tires to hook up with the car rolling slowly.

This was my standard while at the drag strip. Keep in mind, the shock from the front tires engaging will damage the transmission in a hurry. If you burnout and just take your foot off the throttle and the tires hook up abruptly, then you WILL damage your transmission, posthastse.

Now, an old time Max enthusiast (Jose) one time showed me how to do a standing start burnout (meaning, roasting the tires Mustang GT style) from a stoplight without powerbraking or anything like that. In a modded Max like mine was (Y-pipe, intake and exhaust) I could obliterate the tires until 2nd gear. It was unreal the way this could be done. Jose also took some heat at the Giants stadium meet in '99 with his burnout that was on videotape. All types of rumors were flying about how he had NOS or a Blower or other stuff, when all he had was a GReddy and Y-pipe.
From a dead stop, release the brake. You would then apply the throttle like squeezing a shotgun trigger. You would lightly depress the throttle, and once the tach was reading 1100 rpm, got WOT all at once. The car would smoothly roll off the line, and at about 2-3 mph, the front tires would go up in smoke. Literally, like a 5.0 Mustang could light 'em up. In my car, you would smoke them for about 25-30 ft, even longer if you tried hard enough. While this was good for nothing other than wearing out your tires in short order, I'll admit, it was fun in a childish way.
Keep in mind, you will do this at your own risk, and I will assume no responsibility for what happens to you or your car.

Old 05-25-2001, 08:14 AM
JimW

Old 05-25-2001, 11:15 AM

Re: You really shouldn't do this, not with a stock automatic transmission-->

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JimW
[B]

I think I can be crowned "King of the blown auto trannies" I personally went through 2 automatics.

I don't know man...My friend went through 5 automatic tranny rebuilds in his 91 SE in the matter of months. I think he could be the king of blown trannies.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:31 AM

heh. what about shifting from lower drives or anything? just wondering.
probably takes too much time.
not that I'm big into street racing, but I was leaving the movies the other night, and a PURPLE Mitsu galant pulls up next to me...he had like 4 chicks in the car, and wanted to impress them I guess?? Anyway...he was revving, so all I did was hold the brake andthen when the light changed, slam on the gas. I peeled (mmm noise), and of course my Cattman high-flow is roaring...yeah...he was gone...then he did the riceboy driveby after I slowed down to turn at the next light hehe. Loooser. As long as you are applying good brake pressure and the pavement is dry, you're good to make noise o nstock tires (16/215 on the '98 SE). However, if you are careful, you could apply a *little* gas if you hae you e-brake on too.

What about neutral shifting? I think that's been covered here too.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:52 AM

Re: Re: You really shouldn't do this, not with a stock automatic transmission-->

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BlkStnValyMaxima
[B]
Originally posted by JimW

I think I can be crowned "King of the blown auto trannies" I personally went through 2 automatics.

I don't know man...My friend went through 5 automatic tranny rebuilds in his 91 SE in the matter of months. I think he could be the king of blown trannies.
Unless you think any less of me since i have dropped my tranny 3 times in under 6 months. BTW< this was in my DSM. Of course that stands for Designed Shi*ty Motors (T/E/L).
Old 05-25-2001, 11:56 AM

You don't

thats just it .. don't do a burnout
Burnout = bad
bad = tranny goes plop
tranny goes plop = Big money to fix

Ok

Ant
Old 05-25-2001, 12:07 PM

Re: You don't

Originally posted by Ant95se
thats just it .. don't do a burnout
Burnout = bad
bad = tranny goes plop
tranny goes plop = Big money to fix

Ok

Ant
That's a nice explanation
Old 05-25-2001, 01:15 PM

i like it that way

Simple and to the point
The more you BS .. the more peoples start askin ques..

Ant
Old 05-25-2001, 06:37 PM

I like to put the trans in "neutral", floor it and slam it into "drive"

Old 05-25-2001, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Terminator X
I like to put the trans in "neutral", floor it and slam it into "drive"

are you that dumb, or are you joking. LMAO

Thats Newbie talk for you.
Old 05-25-2001, 07:25 PM

great burnout:
1) put car in neutral
2) rev all the way up
3) while reving pull the e-brake
4) immediately slam it in drive
5) burn out
6) release e-brake to go

just be prepared to kill your tires and engine. by shifting from netural to drive in an auto you might strip your transmition. if you really want to race and burn out you better trade in your auto for a stick!!!
Old 05-26-2001, 03:15 AM

here ya go simplified directions....

standing burnout

1. set hand brake (e brake)
2. Punch gas
3. inhale smoke

Moving burnout

1. press brake hard
2. Go WOT
3. at the same time (or *slightly* after release brake.

*hint*
a little water on the tires and ground will make the burnout last longer AND smoke thicker and darker.

DO NOT TO A NUETRAL DROP IT WILL KILL YOUR TRANNY FAST

OR you can look at the url on my sig.