4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Another exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Another exhaust question

Ive tried to search but cant find anything so heres my question.

Ive seen alot of different suggestions on which way to go with your exhaust. Im looking to change everything from my y-pipe back.

Does the aftermarket make all the pipes from the headers back?
And Does anyone have clips of their exhaust setups?
I currently have a Borla turbo muffler on my '89 V6 Beretta and love the sound, so im really interested in the sound of the Borla on the Max.

Thanks for all the help!!
Old 08-21-2005, 02:41 PM

Hi, I noticed you are in Gaithersburg.

Avoid the Victory Nissan on 355 at all costs. They tried to screw me every which way they could on a brake job. I didn't let them do any work, but it cost me a $100 in shop charges just to get my car back! There have been several complaints to the better business Bureau about them as well.

Just thought you should know...
Old 08-21-2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by robsst
Hi, I noticed you are in Gaithersburg.

Avoid the Victory Nissan on 355 at all costs. They tried to screw me every which way they could on a brake job. I didn't let them do any work, but it cost me a $100 in shop charges just to get my car back! There have been several complaints to the better business Bureau about them as well.

Just thought you should know...
lol I work at that Mazda dealer in the same lot. I use them for parts all the time cause Id rather use the Nissan oil filter and such cause I can get them for a decent price. But thats good to know though.

I live right next to the MVA where in Mt. Airy are ya?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:56 PM

I just finished my exhaust set up. I hear nothing but compliments about the sound. Im running stone racing headers and Y, High flow cat, custom 2 1/4 catback tubing, and a Borla part# 40057 muffler. Unfortunatly I have no sound clips.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Isn't that tubing pretty small? 2 1/4? that probably evens out the sound though. I might be mistaken but more restriction= smoother/better sound. And you have no resonator on that? Probably pretty loud then huh? Maybe even a little obnoxious?
Old 08-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Maximoneypit

2 and 1/4 is stock. an upgrade would be 2 and a half or 3 for turbo. either way definitely get a resonator. the max sounds great w/ a good setup. i have full 2 and a half from the headers back from Warpspeed with a Stillen muffler. Quiet and very deep - ive gotten lots of compliments on it.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:14 PM

Do you have any clips of your setup NCSU?
Old 08-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Maximoneypit

i dont - sorry. im workin on getting some soon hopefully
Old 08-22-2005, 04:11 PM

Got a Borla proxs muffler with a 2.5" ss resonated pressure bent b pipe, sounds great. Deep sporty sound, yet VERY quiet. When at idle, you can hardly hear it when standing behind the car. City driving, it drones a little bit, but its very quiet and i like it. On the highway, it doesnt drone at all at 70mph. When listening to it going WOT from the outside, its kind of an exotic sound.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by YoKramer
lol I work at that Mazda dealer in the same lot. I use them for parts all the time cause Id rather use the Nissan oil filter and such cause I can get them for a decent price. But thats good to know though.

I live right next to the MVA where in Mt. Airy are ya?
I posted a private message to you. I don't want to put too much info out on the net for public consumption.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:01 PM

Sill Noone with sound clips? I know someones gotta have some.

Wouldnt It be a good idea to put up a sticky of exhuast setups and clips since there seems to be a rash of exhaust questions?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by YoKramer
Ive tried to search but cant find anything so heres my question.

Ive seen alot of different suggestions on which way to go with your exhaust. Im looking to change everything from my y-pipe back.

Does the aftermarket make all the pipes from the headers back?
And Does anyone have clips of their exhaust setups?
I currently have a Borla turbo muffler on my '89 V6 Beretta and love the sound, so im really interested in the sound of the Borla on the Max.

Thanks for all the help!!
here is a post with alot of links
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=418778

but this is the page your probably going to want to read up on.
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaPerformance
it will tell ya a buncha stuff.

What i would do if i were you would be get the budget Y-pipe because its cheap if you live in rainy snowy places get the stainless steel one. then you have to get a b-pipe... dont worry about the cat, no cat is going to increase the performance better or something that you will notice.
the bpipe is up to you, i recomend one that will fit with the mufler i recomend the greedy SP2 because its sound is really really good and not loud. i would say stay away from the stillen muffler because its really really loud, and thats bad in my opinion, just annoyingly loud.

the stillen Y-pipe is an exact fit from what i hear but most all y-pipes give the same performance, its just that bee's in the can sound that differs them all, budget is the cheapest and some have it and some dont, i bought my y-pipe from custommaxima.com and at a great price - said to be no bee's, i have a slight noise but im not sure you would call it bee's in a can. catman is way to expensive but good products, some say they rust to fast, i find that hard to belive myself, but hey its common to hear people say that so what do i know.

keep the stock muffler if you want it to sound quite when you put on a y-pipe... remember the muffler has almost no performance aspect to it, mabe 2 or 3 hp mabe less. it affects the SOUND comming out, thats pritty much it.

as for headers, its a waste of money to get headers because they have to be custom made two or 3 compaines do this, but it has no performance improvement unless you have BOOST of some kind, it just makes it sound louder. definatly not worth the money (if you were to do this go with catman because its eaiser to put in, obx would have to cut the motor mounts (or re mount them)).

i dont have any clips but the links shown above MIGHT have some or links to some other sites with links to sounds.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:33 PM

Ok I did some looking around and have decided to go with Budget Y and B pipes and the stock muffler. I was looking on the site and they said that the B-pipe is 2.5" in diameter. Will that be a problem with the stock 2.25" stock muffler. Also what kind of shipping prices will I run into with Budget, Im shipping to Maryland.

When I was under my car today looking at the pipes I noticed a little pipe after the main cat. Does any one make an aftermarket one? My whole system is rusted all to hell and I was planning on replacing everything including the cat.

Also where can I get a cheap Stock muffler. Nissan wants 200 for the muffler. Will a factory replacment from NAPA or Olympic work just fine.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 09-03-2005, 08:59 AM

When I was under my car today looking at the pipes I noticed a little pipe after the main cat. Does any one make an aftermarket one? My whole system is rusted all to hell and I was planning on replacing everything including the cat.

Also where can I get a cheap Stock muffler. Nissan wants 200 for the muffler. Will a factory replacment from NAPA or Olympic work just fine.
Anyone????
Old 09-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Maximoneypit

when you say replacing do you mean w/ stock diameter piping or upgraded aftermarket (ie. 2.5")? if aftermarket, when you buy a B-pipe (the pipe that runs fromt the cat to the muffler) it will just replace that little pipe you are talking about. in other words the new B-pipe will bolt right up to the cat eliminating the need for that little pipe.