4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need help with coilovers which one is good

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 03:09 PM

need help with coilovers which one is good

im looking to get coilover for my maxima im thinking either ksports or tein coilover does anybody know which one is better

this are the teins

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEIN-...96885216QQrdZ1
Old 09-04-2005, 03:43 PM

bump any info will be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 09-04-2005, 03:48 PM

I've heard great things about the tien basics from a couple of org members
I've heard great things about the Ksport from many org members.

If you'll probably just adjust height and thats all, then you could go with the Tien Basics which you can adjust the height only, or if you would want to adjust more go with Ksports.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:57 PM

i just want an inch and a half drop that its
Old 09-04-2005, 08:37 PM

i think i've personally replied a good 10 threads just between the k-sport n teins...do a search through google.....

coilover site:forums.maxima.org

copy that exactly....
Old 09-04-2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by MaxObesset

if thats all then I dont think coil overs are for you. Some struts and springs would be much cheaper. Go for a set of illuminas or AGX adjustable struts, and a set of H&R springs. Of course do some additonal research to make sure you're happy with your decision.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:17 PM
sunten1

K-Sports Hands down!!!

Old 09-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Black Maxima

Ksports Duuuuuuhhhhhh

Old 09-05-2005, 06:25 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Why get coilovers if you only want an inch and a half? Why not just get some springs and good struts?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:48 AM

i have tokico illuminas with bng springs i want a better tighter drop aslmost feel like stock and ride perfect
Old 09-07-2005, 04:32 PM

i think Ksport are better....I personally have ground controls and i luv it
Old 09-07-2005, 07:58 PM

ive heard good things about both like everyone else said .... the Ksports are much easier to install ... but I L O V E my Tein Basics ... ride is so comfy with the correct air pressure and im dropped about 2.8 inches !...handles so nicely too ... everything you want the car do, it does with the Teins .... but remember, your suspension is only as good as your tires

.....if your gonna buy Tein basics, get them from Y2K2Steve...he will hook you up with a great price ...

Tein basics are great coilovers...the dampening is pre set and in my opinion its perfect...I just adjust them up or down ... fooling around with BOTH the dampening and correct height is just too much for me ... besides after all the work you go through to get it adjusted properly, your not gonna wanna change anything ... the teins are simple and great ... quality is excellent, Ive hit so many potholes and bumps and the teins still feel brand new
Old 09-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i say boss chens. they pwn both tein and k sports..
Old 09-07-2005, 11:11 PM
VIP Maxima

ksports own teins.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
i say boss chens. they pwn both tein and k sports..
As far as Google is concerned, Boss Chen coilovers do not exist outside of your clamoring and Larrio's sig. You'd think, if they were a real, good company, Google would have mentioned them even once. Every time I've seen them mentioned and someone has asked for pics or details, there's been no response. Perhaps they're extremely limited production, and no one can get them but you and Larrio? Either way, it's irrelevant for people to hear about them. Stop preaching about them unless you can prove they exist.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:20 AM

i have tokico illuminas with bng springs i want a better tighter drop aslmost feel like stock and ride perfect
Not going to happen. Period. You will NEVER have a ride that feels like stock with ANY kind of drop, unless you spend a lot more money on chassis stiffening and super-lightweight wheels and tires.

But if you don't need a lot of adjustability, the Tein Basics will be just fine for you. Just make sure you keep track of the thread about subframe connectors here and order yourself a set as soon as they're available. If you're looking for a near-stock ride, you'll need as much chassis stiffening as you can get.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Not going to happen. Period. You will NEVER have a ride that feels like stock with ANY kind of drop, unless you spend a lot more money on chassis stiffening and super-lightweight wheels and tires.

But if you don't need a lot of adjustability, the Tein Basics will be just fine for you. Just make sure you keep track of the thread about subframe connectors here and order yourself a set as soon as they're available. If you're looking for a near-stock ride, you'll need as much chassis stiffening as you can get.
wtf does super light weight tires and rims have to do with ride comfort?

also the boss chens are almost on par as far as smoothness goes with stock SE suspension. The 7/8kg springs really smooth out the ride.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:47 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Most springs setups are progressive so they are stock like or close for normal rode imperfections, but get much harder as they compress. This is why no spring setup will handle like a coilover setup and why no coilover setup will ride like a spring setup.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:53 AM

wtf does super light weight tires and rims have to do with ride comfort?

also the boss chens are almost on par as far as smoothness goes with stock SE suspension. The 7/8kg springs really smooth out the ride.
Lightweight wheels and tires = reduced unsprung weight. That means there will be less inertia, so the suspension will be more willing to move in response to bumps/dips in the road. That in turn will allow the suspension to soak up the bumps instead of communicating them to the chassis. If you have heavy rims, the opposite will happen; they will have more inertia and thus be less willing to move in response to uneven road conditions, so more of the bumps will be communicated to the chassis.

7/8 spring rates are more than twice as stiff in front and 3.5 times as stiff in the rear as stock SE springs. In terms of handling, making it that much stiffer in the rear is really not the right thing to do for most drivers in a car that is so front-heavy... it's gonna get pretty skittish in the rear if you're not careful. 8kg is really stiff for the rear... Ksports are among the most comfortable coilovers you can get, they have 6kg rates in the rear, and the rear end is still pretty bumpy, just because it has more unsprung weight than the front (because of the beam suspension) and it's so much lighter. I can't imagine what it'd be like with 8kg rates.

But even ignoring all that, the point is that whatever you get to lower your car is going to be a lot stiffer than stock SE suspension -- which it HAS to be to keep you from bottoming out.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:09 PM

Lightweight wheels and tires = reduced unsprung weight. That means there will be less inertia, so the suspension will be more willing to move in response to bumps/dips in the road. That in turn will allow the suspension to soak up the bumps instead of communicating them to the chassis. If you have heavy rims, the opposite will happen; they will have more inertia and thus be less willing to move in response to uneven road conditions, so more of the bumps will be communicated to the chassis.

7/8 spring rates are more than twice as stiff in front and 3.5 times as stiff in the rear as stock SE springs. In terms of handling, making it that much stiffer in the rear is really not the right thing to do for most drivers in a car that is so front-heavy... it's gonna get pretty skittish in the rear if you're not careful. 8kg is really stiff for the rear... Ksports are among the most comfortable coilovers you can get, they have 6kg rates in the rear, and the rear end is still pretty bumpy, just because it has more unsprung weight than the front (because of the beam suspension) and it's so much lighter. I can't imagine what it'd be like with 8kg rates.

But even ignoring all that, the point is that whatever you get to lower your car is going to be a lot stiffer than stock SE suspension -- which it HAS to be to keep you from bottoming out.

my springs are 7kgf/mm front and 8kgf/mm rear..
Old 09-08-2005, 02:38 PM

Yes, I know. That's what I was talking about.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:17 PM

my springs are 7kgf/mm front and 8kgf/mm rear..

whats up with these boss chens are they close to production or anything?
Old 09-08-2005, 06:48 PM

1FSTMAX stop telling everyone to get boss chens because they are not even in full production yet, you are the one person who has them, and you are the only one who has ever done a review on them. Ksports and the Tein Basics are tested and approved by MANY .org members. Once the Boss Chens get into production and have a few more reviews than just your own, than go ahead and recommend them, other than that, i really dont see the point of you advertising them.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:55 PM

As far as Google is concerned, Boss Chen coilovers do not exist outside of your clamoring and Larrio's sig. You'd think, if they were a real, good company, Google would have mentioned them even once. Every time I've seen them mentioned and someone has asked for pics or details, there's been no response. Perhaps they're extremely limited production, and no one can get them but you and Larrio? Either way, it's irrelevant for people to hear about them. Stop preaching about them unless you can prove they exist.
dude thats awesome!!! ... yea we have to meet up soon and compare teins vs ksports ! .. oh hey theres a maxima meet in south philly on the 25th! .. if you wanna role to my place in willow grove then we can role to philly in my ride if you want .. let me know bro !