4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Window Tinting Help????

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 08:52 AM

Window Tinting Help????

Ok fellas im looking to self tint my windows i brought some professional tint off of Ebay, I have the basic concept of tinting and have done some pretty decent tint jobs but i always seem to get one window with bubbles, so my question is are there any tips or tricks or tools i can use that may be helpful to making it look a little more professional?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:20 AM

bump bump bump
Old 09-05-2005, 11:27 AM

I think that if you use a heat gun on low, or preferably a hair dryer, to warm the tint, it makes it conform a little easier. Last time I avoided bubbles was when I did the back window of my truck.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:14 PM

Get a hat because you'll be pulling out hairs before you're done. I hate tinting windows. I tried it once and never again.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:17 PM

I've done some decent tint jobs plus this will be the first time not using Store brought tint, but i feel like with the right tools i can get over the edge and do a better job !!!

I know it has to be more self tinters on the forum
Old 09-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Old Maxima Legend

man i have no idea ? i tried to tint my other car, paid 40 dollars for the tint, and ended up trashing all the tint and rolling around out in the yard in some sort of frenzy ! hats off to tinters, its an art/skill !
Old 09-05-2005, 03:53 PM

use an old credit card as a squeegie...when u apply the tint, spray the window with a very low concentrated-soapy water mix...and squeegie up until u get most of the water and soap out..use a hair dryer on low and then squeegie again while running over the parts with the squeegie. use a razor blade or an exacto knife (be careful, u might scratch the glass if u press really hard), and press it against something straight, and your tint will come out fine.
I've been tinting windows like that for years, but it was a little harder on my maxima.,,on the baack window u can just lay the tint over the defroster lines, it wont affect them..just make sure to be extra careful when cutting the paper on the back.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by BossMoney
use an old credit card as a squeegie...when u apply the tint, spray the window with a very low concentrated-soapy water mix...and squeegie up until u get most of the water and soap out..use a hair dryer on low and then squeegie again while running over the parts with the squeegie. use a razor blade or an exacto knife (be careful, u might scratch the glass if u press really hard), and press it against something straight, and your tint will come out fine.
I've been tinting windows like that for years, but it was a little harder on my maxima.,,on the baack window u can just lay the tint over the defroster lines, it wont affect them..just make sure to be extra careful when cutting the paper on the back.
Thanks i was told to use Baby shampoo because it worked better, im determined to get this tint thing down pack i have about 4 rolls each roll being enough to tint a whole car. Is a Heat gun ok because thats what i have to use in place of the dryer?
Old 09-05-2005, 06:08 PM

any other tips tricks or tools?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:31 PM

post pics wen ur done..
Old 09-05-2005, 08:40 PM

Yes , first off, you can buy precut window tint for our cars for a good price too. Just seach on google for precut tint and i belive there is a company out of florida and a company that sells threw ebay. that will save u a ****load of trouble. Also the key to self tinting is the prep work. with my expeirce aslong as u start from a cornor and spread the tint across the bend of the window u will not get air bubbles, but u will be small clusters of bubbles that form around dirt/debris on ur window. the key is to use windex and a razor blade to clean every inch of ur window. u can scrape the window with the bade at an angle and it will not scrach ur glass. from my expeirice u can get near perfect results if u use a razor to deep clean ur windows.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:41 PM

I will post pics if it turns out nice, and i will try the razor blade cleaning also
Old 09-06-2005, 05:54 AM
tastey wheat

you need to take the windows off of the car, this is really the only way to do it, other wise you will fail many times and it will become frustrating..do that and get just the back windsheild professionally done, it will look good, talk to 'immasquashyou'... he did his tint himself and it looks great.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mendon99
you need to take the windows off of the car, this is really the only way to do it, other wise you will fail many times and it will become frustrating..do that and get just the back windsheild professionally done, it will look good, talk to 'immasquashyou'... he did his tint himself and it looks great.

how easy is that to do
Old 09-06-2005, 03:41 PM

good luck!...
Old 09-06-2005, 03:58 PM

You can try, but I would leave it to somebody who does it everyday for a living. Window tinting process has more to do with the experience rather when correct steps in the procedure. Also it doesn’t cost that much considering the price of the materials.
Believe me, any professional WT man spent a long time and a lots of film rolls to learn and perfect his job.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:09 PM
JSMEXUSA

I try to tint my bedroom window which is flat and square and came up disgusting, missing corners, lots of bubbles, etc...my car was next but change my mind right away and paid $200 for quality film Llumar and proffesional guy. Only advise I can give you leave at least half an inch of film on the bottom of windows. inside door panel; that way when rolling windows it won't come off.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by JSMEXUSA
I try to tint my bedroom window which is flat and square and came up disgusting, missing corners, lots of bubbles, etc...my car was next but change my mind right away and paid $200 for quality film Llumar and proffesional guy. Only advise I can give you leave at least half an inch of film on the bottom of windows. inside door panel; that way when rolling windows it won't come off.
you don't have to do that. just don't roll your windows down for about 4-6 days to let the tint dry. my friend's sister forgot this and she called him up crying cuz her tint was only 2 days old and the bottom had peeled up after she rolled her window down.