4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tranny? Clutch? Not sure...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 05:27 PM

Tranny? Clutch? Not sure...

Hey all--

For a while now, and this is intermittent-- when I take off from a stopped position my 97 Max SE seems to slip a bit. Like, the RPMs go up, but I'm not moving much ;-)

I have learned to drive with it and kind of just got used to it, I usually sense it immediately and let off the petal and then accelerate again and it kicks in and seems ok.

I'm thinking this is a clutch. Will it do further damage to anything else if I don't repair it now? Or is the biggest risk it might just totally stop working all together and leave me stranded? I don't really have the loot for this repair at the moment, but if it's going to jack up other stuff I'll have to pop it on the plastic and deal with it...

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That would be the clutch, how miles are on it btw? It will eventually keep slipping more and more until its almost undriveable and slips constantly But it won't instantly leave you stranded it will get worse over time.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:29 PM

Has about 160K miles on it.

Is the clutch typically an 'all or nothing' replacement? or are there usually components within the clutch that are replaced to correct it (depending on the issue)?

Jut wondering what kind of bill I should be expecting, sounds like Nissan directly would be the best place to have this completed.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by leojs
Has about 160K miles on it.

Is the clutch typically an 'all or nothing' replacement? or are there usually components within the clutch that are replaced to correct it (depending on the issue)?

Jut wondering what kind of bill I should be expecting, sounds like Nissan directly would be the best place to have this completed.

It makes sense to replace the entire assembly as the labor is so tedious. On the same note, the labor is the bulk of your potential bill. Expect to pay about 300 for the clutch itself, and another 400-500 in labor. It sucks, but that's a front drive japanese manual for ya. Best of luck
Old 09-05-2005, 10:24 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Get yourself a new clutch. Go on jerry rome nissan (cant remember URL, look on google), get the prices for a 5th gen clutch kit, then go to your local nissan dealer and they will sell you the parts at those prices.

the kit will run you $200 give or take a few bucks, only clutch that should cost you $300 is a stage one or two. as for installation, go into your local regional section here on the board. there is a member named vasamoylov, he just moved out to philly from CA and he will most likely be able to do it for oyu for a good price, and if he cant, im sure there are other local maxima ppl that can do it for you.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:59 PM

Awesome guys, this car is an automatic-- and I'm in Pittsburgh which is about 5-6hrs from Philly so I'll take your advice and see if I can locate someone more local for the install by checking the regional section of the forums. Thanks again everyone.

PS - 5th gen clutch kit on a 4th gen? Cool, didn't know that would work. Any downside? (special modification, etc.?)
Old 09-05-2005, 11:04 PM

Awesome guys, this car is an automatic-- and I'm in Pittsburgh which is about 5-6hrs from Philly so I'll take your advice and see if I can locate someone more local for the install by checking the regional section of the forums. Thanks again everyone.

PS - 5th gen clutch kit on a 4th gen? Cool, didn't know that would work. Any downside? (special modification, etc.?)

If its an automatic, then its a different story - clutch kits are for manuals.

If its an automatic then your clutch packs in the auto might be burnt out
Old 09-05-2005, 11:11 PM

So can a clutch pack be bought like a clutch kit and replaced to correct the problem? I should have specified initially it was auto-- sorry all. Just trying to find out what I need and get some advice so I don't get ripped off, etc. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:30 PM

So can a clutch pack be bought like a clutch kit and replaced to correct the problem? I should have specified initially it was auto-- sorry all. Just trying to find out what I need and get some advice so I don't get ripped off, etc. Thanks.
You could replace the trans oil too but I think its too late and the clutch pack or bands, or similar have died on you.

In my opnion, replacing clutch packs in an auto will be a real mission for DIY person. My old Maxima did that when the clutch packs were burning out.

Its probably going to be cheaper to buy a rebuilt automatic than to rebuild your own.. but some people prefer to get their own rebuilt instead. I got my rebuilt and it cost more and took longer than just buying a pre-reco'd model