4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 09:50 PM

Changing spark plugs

I don't usually do anything myself on my car because
a) I'm lazy
b) I don't want to mess things up

But lately I realized how much money can be saved and how I can gain some experience through doing things myself.

So here's my question...

I just bought a new toolset and realized that spark plug sockets are included. Just wondering what size would I need. I have a 13/16" and a 5/8" one. I've read up the instructions on how to change spark plugs on vqpower.com but just not sure which one I need. Or do I need to buy a new socket. And my set doesn't look like a cheapie...It has a nice chrome finish and is made by Crescent. Got it at Costco for like $69.99CDN and I see eBay selling it for $90CDN up to $120CDN.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:05 PM

5/8" youre going to need extensions too. Not sure, but like 8" or so. Unscrew the coils, pull them out, dont break off the plugs. and presto.

If youre going to start working on your own car, a tune up is one of the best places to start. Since its your first time, if you have any questions at all, ask. Were more than happy to answer questions or post pics for you. Once you get used to how things on your car work, move up to bigger projects. Oil change, Brakes, cleaning your tb, then vq35 swap and FI..........okay maybe not.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Wild for Width

just be patient with the rear cylinders, hopefully your new tools are magnetic at the ends . . it has saved me many times from losing things into the pit of doom (somewhere at the bottom of the engine bay)
Old 09-08-2005, 11:15 PM

yea, magnetics definetly help, i was replacin my head unit and coutnless screws would of dropped if not for my magnetic starpoint and screwdriver
Old 09-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I replaced NGK plugs with Bosch... should I worry?

Hello all, I'm a new poster here and just noticed some people posting about problems using Bosch plugs in Maximas. I just replaced the worn NGK's in my Maxima with Bosch Plugs. Should I expect problems with these plugs? Would it be worth the trouble of undoing the work I just did to replace the brand new Bosch plugs with NGKs? The car seems to be running as smooth as ever right now, but I still wanted to get anyone's feedback on this. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-11-2005, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by mtavel
Hello all, I'm a new poster here and just noticed some people posting about problems using Bosch plugs in Maximas. I just replaced the worn NGK's in my Maxima with Bosch Plugs. Should I expect problems with these plugs? Would it be worth the trouble of undoing the work I just did to replace the brand new Bosch plugs with NGKs? The car seems to be running as smooth as ever right now, but I still wanted to get anyone's feedback on this. Thanks in advance!
I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUBBORN! .. the factory calls for NGK plat. or copper !!!!!!! ... why do people wanna try and be different and put something else in .... the bosch's are gonna eat your coil packs alive... have fun spening hundreds to replace them ......

PUT THE NGK'S BACK IN !
Old 09-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is there a trick for popping the coil packs loose from the plugs? All plug boots I've ever worked with have practically bonded with the plug insulators and require a twist with the boot wrench prior to removal. Can a boot wrench be used with the Max coil packs? I've got a '97 Max and am thinking of looking for coil pack replacements in the near future. Is there a GOOD aftermarket source for these coil packs? There are so many excellent aftermarket automotive ignition systems out there that someone has to be making them---Accel, MSD, Jacobs, etc.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:59 PM

Mine have pretty much just slid out after pulling with a little force...
Old 09-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The packs should come right off with a little wiggling. The last time I changed out my plugs it took 30 minutes from start to finish. Take your time and do one at a time. I recommend using air to blow out the hole before you take out the plug. You don't want anything to fall in the plug hole.

As to what type of plug to use....I say NGK. IMO NGK is the plug on the market, no matter what type of engine you have. Go to the stealership, over pay for the OEM NGK plugs, install them and be on your way. Don't mess with a good thing
Old 09-13-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ThisMaxIsTight
I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE ARE SOOO STUBBORN! .. the factory calls for NGK plat. or copper !!!!!!! ... why do people wanna try and be different and put something else in .... the bosch's are gonna eat your coil packs alive... have fun spening hundreds to replace them ......
i know thats wut it calls for, i have them now, but all im going to say is i used bosches before this set, nothing bad happened! thats all im gonna say, and to be quite honest, car feels the same with the ngk
Old 09-14-2005, 05:58 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

Originally Posted by ThisMaxIsTight

PUT THE NGK'S BACK IN !
ive never herd of a bosch spark plug destroying all your coils.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:57 AM

As long as it is the recommended plug with the proper heat range for your car, you should not have any issues. Spark plugs are the cheapest form of a tune-up.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:09 AM

if ur gonna replace the spark plugs, use the chep replacement oem ones from an auto parts store. the expensive ones like bosch and whatever actually cause detonation. and you dont want that. good luck

check it out... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2104185

-swazey
Old 09-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Swazey
if ur gonna replace the spark plugs, use the chep replacement oem ones from an auto parts store. the expensive ones like bosch and whatever actually cause detonation. and you dont want that. good luck

check it out... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2104185

-swazey
are you talking about? What exactly is a cheap replacement? The recommended plugs for the maxima are NGK laser platinums, which last 60k and run about 8 bucks a piece. You can also use NGK V-power copper plugs, which last 30k, and run 2 bucks a piece. Running any other plugs is not recommended and may result in performance issues, hesistation, bad/low idle, or may run perfectly fine. For something that is replaced at most every 30k, it surprises me that people are that lazy to do the research and use the correct parts.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:21 AM

glad to see your putting effort into working on your own car. you will save LOTS of money in the long run and if anything breaks you will have a better understanding on how to fix it and dont have to go 2 the stealership cought whoops i mean Dealership to have them steal all your money.

If you plan on continuing working on you car then i would suggest getting a Haynes Service manual. They can be found for 20$ at any car store (pep boys, advance auto, autozone) It is all most essential when working on a car and will help you alot. If you are really interestin in working on your car you can pick up a FSM (Factory Service Manual) from ebay. Can be a bit pricey but has more detail than the hanyes. but plugs are an easy job. check out the Howtos and you can learn alot. good luck. let us know if you need anything, the .org can always help.... most of the time. be sure to read the faqs and howtos before posting bc people here seem to get mean if you dont. Well good luck!

-Sean
Old 09-14-2005, 05:06 PM

ok buddy, whatever. its what i was told bya buncha different people. idk for sure. its just my opinion. isnt that the whole idea behind this site? to give everyone with a maxima a voice?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Jimbo1999

use what the max calls for

Old 10-14-2005, 06:29 PM

Use the OEM's NGK Copper, Platinum, or Iridum. Choice is yours
Old 10-14-2005, 07:10 PM
99Automagic

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
i know thats wut it calls for, i have them now, but all im going to say is i used bosches before this set, nothing bad happened! thats all im gonna say, and to be quite honest, car feels the same with the ngk

I agree with you. When I first got my car, it came with bosch. Never had a problem running them. I replaced them with NGK coppers when I did my tune up, just because that's what's recommended. I didn't notice a difference though. I say spark plugs are spark plugs, but I'll go with what nissan recommends. And if my coils go bad, it won't be because of bosch plugs, it will be because of poor design.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:01 PM

JUST GO WITH the RECOMMENDED plats if you are so unsure of which to get...!!!!

No problem by getting PLATS RIGHT?? I myself switched out the AUTOLITES and put NGK VPOWER, my mysterious startup white smoke is Now GONE !!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2005, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1999
use what the max calls for
Oh great more noobs bringing back dead threads.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:12 PM

OK, well I'm about to replace the plugs in mine... Basically, what I'm seeing is that I should definitely go with NGK ones, however, I saw someone post about getting either the Copper, Platinum, or Iridum...

I'm definitely a n00b at this, as you can probably tell, but I was wondering which to get. What's the difference? I want POWER, and I don't care about the cost.

THANKS!

EDIT: WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? I'm trying to learn here...lol
Old 10-15-2005, 10:23 PM

Then buy the NGK laser platinum plugs, which is what came with the car in the first place!
Old 10-16-2005, 12:43 AM

NGK V-powers won't show up as OEM for your car, however you can use them just fine. I believe they show up as the part number for the 240sx or whatever. There's countless places to find the exact part number, just grab that, head down to the parts store and grab 6.

LEMAR
Old 10-16-2005, 05:12 AM

I was looking at NGK's site... What about the "Iridium IX" plug....Are these the best plugs I can get for performance?

Specially designed to meet the needs of serious enthusiasts, Iridium IX Spark Plugs offer outstanding acceleration, high fuel efficiency and long life. When you demand the most from your engine, rely on the proven performance of NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:20 AM

--But wait, maybe it's the v-power's... Which are the best for performance? I dont car about cost, or how long the plugs last...

More complete combustion not only provides more power, it also means less harmful emissions...
NGK V-Power Spark Plugs also are ideally suited for race cars and high performance street cars. Today's performance engines are high compression/high stress applications. Many are supercharged, turbo-charged or nitrous oxide fed...
NGK's patented v-groove design allows the ignition system to easily spark in these dense air/fuel mixtures. The flame kernel will quickly grow and allow the engine to potentially make more power since it now is operating more efficiently...
          Old 10-16-2005, 06:44 AM

Although ur spark plugs are important to the performance of the car, i dont think the difference between the ones ur lookin at would be THAT significant bro. i dont think ur gonna gain 10 whp just by choosing V-power over Iridium IX. If im wrong somone please enlighten me too...
          Old 10-16-2005, 07:23 AM

Good for you, doing some of your own maintenance. Replacing the plugs isn't that difficult. As recommended earlier, get a Haynes manual for the car.....invaluable for torques and fluid capacities info. Also they have a bunch of tips. One of these tips was the worth the cost of the manual for me. Buy a 12" length of "heater hose". The opening should be small enough that it will fit over the top of your new spark plug snugly. Use this "tool" to initially start threading your new spark plug by hand......presto no cross threading, then finish off with your ratchet. BTW, don't forget to put anti seize compound on the threads of your new plugs. Lastly, you NEED to buy a torque wrench to ensure the proper torque on the plugs and it will come in handy for other things as well. Try Harbor Freight, they're online and you can buy tools fairly inexpensively. For plugs you'll need a torque wrench that goes from 0-80 lbs. I've got 2, one 0-80 and the other 0-150 lbs (I think). If I remember correctly, the torque on the plugs is something like 12 foot lbs. Lug nuts are around 80 ft lbs, things like fstb are around 29 foot lbs and on and on. They're handy and when you need them, well you need them. As to plugs, I agree with staying with the NGKs. I'm using the NGK Iridiums and they work fine. Good luck! Cheers
          Old 10-16-2005, 08:00 AM

NGK Iridiums are best for boosted performance. Stick with OEM laser platinums and if cost is a consideration opt for NGK V-power copper plugs.
          Old 10-16-2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by mtavel
          the problem with bocsh is that they have very little platinumat the tip (hence the cheaper price) and get corroded, dirty, misfire, dont generate a big enough spark, and so on. ngk on the other hand supplies nissan with plugs so you can not go wrong with them. with the bosch plugs you reduce the life of the engine, power, and gas milage
          the bottom line is you have the facts, now make a decision whether to replace them with ngk's
          Old 10-16-2005, 09:51 AM

Well, I went ahead and picked up some NGK v-power plugs fromk Advance Auto... they told me to go with these plugs for performance and that the Iridiums were just like one step better than OEM...

Thanks for all the advice and help... I have just printed out the tutorial, and I am going to change them now... Wish me luck!!! lol
          Old 10-16-2005, 09:53 AM

well good luck
          good choice on the plugs
          Old 10-16-2005, 12:08 PM

Well, I just finished... No lost screws or anything into the pit of darkness...
          Did a little test drive and I think the butt dyno can even feel a bit of a difference...

SWEET!

Thanks a bunch for everyone's help and suggestions... I really do appreciate it!!!

-Andrew