4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Yet another balancing question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 04:20 PM

I cut my tire and had to replace it (could not be fixed). I ended up getting a new pair for the front and rotated the old one from the front to rear (now I have a new pair in the front and very good pair in the rear).
Anyway, when they mounted the new ones they took off all the balancing weights as it was "the perfect fit". I was surprized, but, hell, they had it on the machine. Now, when I go 30-50 mph the car slightly moves to the left(very slightly), which was not the case before. When I go upwards of 50 mph, though it goes perfectly straignt. Why would that be? Should I have it rebalanced or leave it alone?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2001, 05:06 PM

Are you sure the slight pull to the left isn't from the crown in the road or side wind? It's really hard to find a level road with calm weather to judge if a pull exists.
If the pull was consistent at all speeds, I'd suspect an alignment problem or a slipped or broken belt in a tire. But since the pull goes away at higher speeds, neither of these are likely the cause. I doubt if tire balance is the problem. Make sure the tire pressures are correct. It will be interesting to see if anyone else has experienced this pull at low speeds only and found a correction for it.
Old 05-27-2001, 05:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In terms of pull, it is critical that the road driven is totally even on both sides. Often, it may look even but in reality it may be sloped, resulting in a pull to one side. I'd be careful to verify this. Driving in the middle of the road (when there are no cars, of course) usually gets you even on both sides (both sides sloping down toward the curb/gutter). In any case, I would think that any pull would reflect an alignment problem more than tire balance. At high speed (ie. >60mph) does the car/steering wheel shake? That's one symptom of tire imbalance.
Old 05-28-2001, 08:22 AM

no shaking

Originally posted by Mishmosh
In terms of pull, it is critical that the road driven is totally even on both sides. Often, it may look even but in reality it may be sloped, resulting in a pull to one side. I'd be careful to verify this. Driving in the middle of the road (when there are no cars, of course) usually gets you even on both sides (both sides sloping down toward the curb/gutter). In any case, I would think that any pull would reflect an alignment problem more than tire balance. At high speed (ie. >60mph) does the car/steering wheel shake? That's one symptom of tire imbalance.
No, there is no shaking, I'd certainly get it balanced if there were some. I admit that some of the roads I was on were tilted, but the others were (at least seemed straight). I'll try it more on various roads and will let you know.

Keep the comments coming.
Thanks
Roman
Old 05-28-2001, 08:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: no shaking

Originally posted by Roman-dude

No, there is no shaking, I'd certainly get it balanced if there were some. I admit that some of the roads I was on were tilted, but the others were (at least seemed straight). I'll try it more on various roads and will let you know.

Keep the comments coming.
Thanks
Roman
I could also be uneven tire pressure.
Old 05-28-2001, 08:37 AM

pressure

Originally posted by deezo

It could also be uneven tire pressure.
I checked it recently- it's the same...
Old 05-28-2001, 06:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: pressure

Originally posted by Roman-dude

I checked it recently- it's the same...

Everything us guys came up with will effect your drifting. You know what, you should take your wheels of and check to see if your left brake pads are dragging. This will also cause your car to drift left because the left wheel wants to go slower than the right.