4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

***Need Very Fast Help. . .****

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 06:20 AM

***Need Very Fast Help. . .****

When re installing the starter you plug in the connetor and the other part that gets bolt down, which bolt does it get bolted down to? is the one circled in red? or blue.

I'm very late for work
Old 09-12-2005, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy

When re installing the starter you plug in the connetor and the other part that gets bolt down, which bolt does it get bolted down to? is the one circled in red? or blue.

I'm very late for work

The connection really goes in one way if I remember correctly. I don't want to guess, but I think it's the red one, ir ur pic. One of them already should have a connection going to somewhere else in the start, it's not that one. It's the one without a connection.

I replaced my started about two weeks ago (the only one I've done) so my memory might not be 100% accurate.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:57 AM

Oh yes its definately not the red one (the one with a connector already on it).

That gave interesting results, I bolted it onto the red one, and plugged in maf etc, put on the terminals for the battery . . . sparks from battery, car tried to crank, and move forward at the same time (oddly I left the hand brake down, but was in gear). Now my negtive terminal has a few . . . scars on it, but still is fine.

I was trying to make sure i want crazy and that I installed it right the first time. Well if the started wasnt dead before, this for sure killed any little life that would have been in it.

I put this new starter in staturday, cranked, took a few tries (normal after starter swap and TB cleaning) cranked and was fine. Didnt drive anywhere till this morning when I needed to go to work. She just kept turning and turning. I tried tapping the starter no luck, my house has a steep enough incline getting out so I cant push it out by myself. . . oh well looks like an unscheduled day off. . .
Old 09-12-2005, 07:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just put a new starter in my Max yesterday...it NOT the red one but the BLUE one that you want to bolt the thick red cable to.[I][U]

I'm in the ATL also.....
Old 09-12-2005, 07:31 AM

Yea Just learned that the hard way. The starter was smoking when I first when to start the car, I dont understand that but this starter is trash so I'll just chill on this newfound day off, and swap the starter out later when my GF gets off work.

It started fine sat when I swapped it out, nothing changed between then and this morning.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got my starter at AutoZone for $130.00. My OEM lasted 172,xxx before the grease dried out. I thought it would be better to swap out starters rather then do the re-grease. The Duralast replacement came with a limited lifetime warranty so I hopefully won't ever need to buy another one.

Enjoy the day off and hit again this afternoon.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:46 AM

Yea I got mine at advanced auto parts, my oem one dried up and took about 20 cranks to fire. Since the oem I've gone thru 2 starters including this one.

I also would swap out rather than regrees, I have a lifetime warantee and its free for a new one instead of having to buy greese and refill it.

Thanks I will enjoy this very stationary day off. . .the kicker is if I could just get the car on the street I could pop the cluth and be off. . .but this damn incline. Oh well My girl get off early so it will be all gravy
Old 09-12-2005, 07:46 AM

where did yall get your starters from?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:50 AM

advanced auto parts - 1st one in Savannah (lasted about 3 years)
this new one from advaned auto stores- here in atlanta (Lawrenceville)

Originally Posted by Max Atlanta
I got my starter at AutoZone for $130.00.