4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

security light question 99 max

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 02:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

security light question 99 max

Coming home from work today i noticed my security light was on and staying on. I'm assuming that it shouldn't be on when the car is running since this was the first time i noticed it and I've had the car almost 5 years. I didn't get a chance to check into anything, I searched here and didn't find anything relating to it either. The car starts fine, runs fine etc, the only problem i ran into is for the last couple of days my cd player (clarion, not oem) has shut off and turned back on randomly. I don't care about the light being on I just dont want to ignore it if it is a sign of possible problems. Maybe it's supposed to on and i just never noticed Appreciate any input. thanks
Old 09-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Shouldn't be on once the car has been started. You have a 99 - I believe they modified the security system that year to include the chipped-keys and such.

It would be a safe guess to assume that your security system is not working as intended, i.e. immobilizer may not work, alarm may not sound...
Old 09-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Maxima lover

It should only stay lit when you first arm your alarm (30 seconds). I would say try to set your alarm off. Leave the window down and then lock and shut the door. Wait 30 seconds and stick your hand through the opened window and unlock the door. Then open the door to see if your alarm goes off. Then try to start it. Try that if you want then tell me what happens.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:16 PM

went out tonight and the light was off and seemed like all was functioning well. I don't know if it was just some freak thing or what, i guess i'll just keep an eye on it. but if anyone has any experiences similar let me kno
Old 09-13-2005, 10:12 PM

That happens once in a while with 99's, don't worry about it. A possible cause could be it you stall while rolling and turn on the car by releasing the clutch while its in gear.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:27 AM

I bought a used 99 GLE a year ago and my light never goes off. It does appear to blink and my alarm will work when tested so I haven't worried about it. It is rather annoying at night, though having that bright red light on all the time! Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:30 AM

i have a similar problem except for me its not the security light that stays on is the light on top of that one iwill have a picture of it tomorrow but its the one mounted onto the gauge on the left hand side a small little bulb this one always stays on for me while im driving should this be on ??
Old 09-17-2005, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by brobeau
I bought a used 99 GLE a year ago and my light never goes off. It does appear to blink and my alarm will work when tested so I haven't worried about it. It is rather annoying at night, though having that bright red light on all the time! Anyone have any suggestions?

so the light been on and it hasnt caused you any problems? that the biggest thing i was worried about.mine hasnt done it again since i posted this so i guess maybe i wont really worry bout it.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Maxima lover

Originally Posted by brobeau
You could make that LED go out while the car is running using a relay. If your interested, PM me and I will give you directions.