4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fully loaded SE vs. GLE

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 05:19 PM

Fully loaded SE vs. GLE

How big of a difference in value is there for you between owning a GLE vs. a fully loaded (cold weather package/leather/bose/electric front seats/spoiler/ect)?
I am having difficulty with my insurance company since my car has been totaled, and the adjuster keeps bringing up that mine was "just an SE", and I have explaind time and again the difference...so I am asking the experts for my own knowldge to see if I am totally off base in thinking that they are pretty much the same and should be valued almost equally if not 100% equally. mlm
Old 09-15-2005, 05:22 PM

The adjuster should account for the OEM optional items on the vehicle (good for you)as well as obvious non-OEM items that were placed during ownership (bad for you). A GLE is unfortunately, the 'higher' trim level, despite the fact that an SE can be optioned up like a GLE.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:05 PM

the the insurance company.. they dont know what trim level is it. they just know year make model and mileage of the car when you registered it. When i went to insure my car, they asked me which model it was. They really had no clue. Their was a price diffrence of a couple of bucks here and there, well i saw it at a glance really.

techinally speaking a GLE is worth more then an SE any day. You could bring up the fact of all the options and what not. And the non-OEM options as well. But most place companys don't really care about those things.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:19 PM

Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
i believe they should be pretty much the same. A fully loaded SE actually had a higher sticker price than an equivalently loaded GLE. However, kbb.com shows that the prices of a 1998 automatic max in good condition with 60k miles in my zipcode with the following options:

Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Tilt Wheel, Cruise Control, AM/FM Stereo, Cassette, Single Compact Disc, Premium Sound, Dual Front Air Bags, Front Side Air Bags, ABS (4-Wheel), Leather, Dual Power Seats, Moon Roof, Rear Spoiler, Alloy Wheels

are:
SE:$7,455
GLE: $8,180

This is a 10% difference in price. I can only attribute this to the perception that a GLE is somehow magically superior to an SE. Perhaps GLE owners are less likely to abuse their cars. In any event, a feature list is only partially indicative of a car's value; the condition of the car is equally, or more, important.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:28 PM

edmunds.com will list all the features and differences between the SE and GLE
Old 09-15-2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by FunLovinMaxima
i believe they should be pretty much the same. A fully loaded SE actually had a higher sticker price than an equivalently loaded GLE. However, kbb.com shows that the prices of a 1998 automatic max in good condition with 60k miles in my zipcode with the following options:

Air Conditioning, Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Tilt Wheel, Cruise Control, AM/FM Stereo, Cassette, Single Compact Disc, Premium Sound, Dual Front Air Bags, Front Side Air Bags, ABS (4-Wheel), Leather, Dual Power Seats, Moon Roof, Rear Spoiler, Alloy Wheels

are:

This is a 10% difference in price. I can only attribute this to the perception that a GLE is somehow magically superior to an SE. Perhaps GLE owners are less likely to abuse their cars. In any event, a feature list is only partially indicative of a car's value; the condition of the car is equally, or more, important.
Don't forget that the figures available at kbb.com or nadaguides.com are simply compilations of all the sales reported to them. So this simply means that GLE's typically sell for more than the SE. I personally have an SE that's outfitted like a GLE and would much prefer it over the GLE. For me it's a personal preference thing, but as far as the book value, the GLE is a little higher.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Insurance companys value your total loss at current market value for the same make, model & mileage for similar vehicles in your market area. They don't go by kbb or any other "blue book". They have their own data for calculating the pay out for a total loss.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:45 PM

are:

Options only jack up the MSRP, not the vehicles true market value.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Insurance companys value your total loss at current market value for the same make, model & mileage for similar vehicles in your market area. They don't go by kbb or any other "blue book". They have their own data for calculating the pay out for a total loss.
That is correct
Old 09-15-2005, 09:09 PM

I keep getting the run-around from them...just wondering what you guys thought about the difference between the two. Personally I prefer my SE (i like the spoiler and the 5 speed transmission along with every other option that it came with) and the adjuster keeps saying it is a completely different edition and is trying to avoid using it in her calculations, but after looking at the laws ect she should be. It is horribly complicated and stressful- she is giving me GXE prices for comparison!!
My agent is going to be speaking with her and helping me out so hopefully I will be in a newer Maxima in the next week!
Old 09-16-2005, 01:55 PM

It would be in your best interest to try and find cars for sale that are similar to yours in your vicinity. The closer the better.

If you go with something like AutoTrader, the prices are always jacked out of control with the 'I'd like to get this price' and you can use that as a reference to compare the value with what you would pay for a replacement. This could potentially raise the price to closer to what the value of your car is or...was.

Good luck.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:14 PM

GLE all the way!!!
Old 09-16-2005, 02:35 PM

The insurance adjuster isn't into playing by the rules so things have gotten out of control (i found similar vehicles with actual sold prices that she could compare to within a 25mi radius of my house, and this was within days of my car being totaled, which she "checked on" but weren't low enough for her, so she ignored them). My insurance agent is helping out and hopefully things will be resolved soon...I found an awesome 2001 Ann. edition that i am going to be looking at next week!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:42 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

funny how a fully loaded SE auto is the same as a gle without the chrome.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
funny how a fully loaded SE auto is the same as a gle without the chrome.
yup, and it is the job of the "adjuster" to basically rip you off. the adjuster's goal is to give you as little money as possible while still retaining you as a customer and it is always worth negotiating with them. show them things like blue book value and ads in local newspapers. if that fails, in some cases you can appeal. if you still haven't been fairly compensated, get a new policy from someone else.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:22 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

hmm...GLE's had an "electronically controlled motor mount", and came with every option, except for fogs. My GLE happens to be 5spd and have fogs..I guess I have a GL-SE.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by tavarish
hmm...GLE's had an "electronically controlled motor mount", and came with every option, except for fogs. My GLE happens to be 5spd and have fogs..I guess I have a GL-SE.
That would have to be a conversion, no GLE comes stock with 5sp.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:25 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by MaxGordon7
That would have to be a conversion, no GLE comes stock with 5sp.
no GLE comes with fogs either...My GLE came with 4 gears, i just added the extra one :-D
Old 09-16-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

wrong, fogs are an option
Old 09-16-2005, 09:01 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by JSutter
wrong, fogs are an option

argh....ok, MINE didn't come with fogs, i installed them. Mine came automatic, i made it 5spd. Geez. :-D
Old 09-16-2005, 09:59 PM

there is no negotiating this woman and she is using the blue book value, which is not the actual market value for this car- so comparables should be used to determine value compensation...found 4 cars that were comparable but she neglected to add the option price for some and was more than willing to deduct price for excess miles on my car compared to the car for sale/sold car- the fight is still going and she is unwilling to budge. (she said that the high prices were an "anomaly in the market"..funny how there are 4 anomaly's...
one Dealership told her they would sell my car for $5900...fully loaded SE 5spd in Seattle very good shape with 98k/new clutch..
funny how i spoke with someone at the SAME dealership and they told me they would sell it for 9500! The whole thing is rediculus and I will be changing insurance agencies upon settlement of my claim.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
the the insurance company.. they dont know what trim level is it. they just know year make model and mileage of the car when you registered it. When i went to insure my car, they asked me which model it was. They really had no clue. Their was a price diffrence of a couple of bucks here and there, well i saw it at a glance really.

techinally speaking a GLE is worth more then an SE any day. You could bring up the fact of all the options and what not. And the non-OEM options as well. But most place companys don't really care about those things.
The insurance company have the VIN which in turn gives the trim level.

Like everyone has said above, you tell the insurance company to listen up. Have them tell you the base price of the SE. Then tell them and prove that you had the additional options of the car. This should be affective and easy to prove that the SE had just about the same options as the GLE.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:25 AM

SE: 5spd, heated power leather, homelink, heated mirrors, ABS, BOSE, moonroof, spoiler, fogs, no LSD .

GSE?
Old 09-20-2005, 03:46 PM

i got the research that the adjuster had been doing, it turns out that on the initial report they had several of my options- such as the fog lights and the cold weather package...this was after the research was sent late to me so now my rental car coverage is expiring (it has been close to 30 days of this battle)...i am exhausted and sad that this is taking soo long...
they had to extend the rental car coverage..

Dooley- how much would you sell your car for? fully loaded like it is now?
Old 09-20-2005, 06:20 PM
KH3 by popular demand

It's the adjusters job to DE-nickle and dime the value of your car.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:10 PM

i will be getting a new insurance company when this is all over
Old 09-21-2005, 10:10 PM
boost me.....

Originally Posted by euser85
just gettin 15 posts
well why not say something worthwhile a-hole...anyway...

isnt there a way to sue the insurance company over something like this....i think you could at least call a lawyer to help get things settled
Old 09-22-2005, 07:33 AM
the Light is among you

yup, and it is the job of the "adjuster" to basically rip you off. the adjuster's goal is to give you as little money as possible while still retaining you as a customer and it is always worth negotiating with them. show them things like blue book value and ads in local newspapers. if that fails, in some cases you can appeal. if you still haven't been fairly compensated, get a new policy from someone else.
True, true, the adjuster works for the company, not you.

If you've shown her prices for similar models within 25 miles then that should be enough. She'll give you the run around of course but just tell her if you don't get a fair price for what the car is really worth then you'll have to talk to a lawyer about your options. Lawyers and insurance companies dont' mix, so, they'll many times give in somewhat to avoid the hassle.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:35 AM
the Light is among you

Originally Posted by Dandybug
i will be getting a new insurance company when this is all over
Who is this insurance company that's trying to screw you anyway? Tell her you just let hundreds of maxima owners on the org know how their company operates on claims.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:07 AM

I am also curious to know what insurance company this is and hope you get what you should get in the end.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:21 AM

se also ame with things that no onther maxima could get, like stiff sport tuned suspension, sawblade alloy rims, wider tires. stuff like that and the only thing that can differ from fully loaded to fully loaded se-gle would be auto or chrome trim and honeycomb rims
Old 09-22-2005, 06:59 PM

it's allsate, i heard that they are really not the greatest about payouts for accidents. I gave into taking what they wanted to give me- 8300 (the 300 is what they would pay the appraiser, which would have been the next step for them, so they made a "concession" and gave me the 300 instead) + tax/licensing even though i found many cars in my area that were similar make/model for 500+ more than that (I am a meticulous owner and have all the records of everything the car has been through and took great care of it so getting anything comparable is going to be very difficult)...
there are few maximas that i am interested in in my area and so am having to look at other vehicles it is SOOO difficult finding a nice sedan 5spd
Old 09-22-2005, 08:51 PM

Man insurance companies are the worst. When I got my first maxima a lady pulled out in front of me two weeks after i got it and totaled my car. the stupid insurance claims adjuster actually went to the place where i bought the car and found out how much i had paid for it (which was a really good deal and less than market value) and she told me she was gonna give me what i paid. I got so pissed off at her. I went and researched texas inssurance law and went back to her and told her that nada market value was 1500 more than what she wanted to give me and that What she did was unethical and if she didn;t give me market value for it we would get a lawyer involved. Needless to say I got market value for the car. (1500 more than they wanted to give me) ... moral of the story... Insurance companies hate the L word. Thay are scared of it. Use it to your advantage.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:05 PM

it is allstate, my insurance agent is the BEST but the adjuster lagged follwing up on the research that i did so could not "validate" it in the end...i just took the 8000 +300 for how much it would cost to get an appraiser...i found dealers close to me selling the car for over 9000...blah i couldn't fight anymore
i get the lovely rental car for another week. i was unable to find another maxima that i liked in my price range so i just bought a lexus ES 300 (1999)...
Old 09-23-2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dandybug
it is allstate, my insurance agent is the BEST but the adjuster lagged follwing up on the research that i did so could not "validate" it in the end...i just took the 8000 +300 for how much it would cost to get an appraiser...i found dealers close to me selling the car for over 9000...blah i couldn't fight anymore
i get the lovely rental car for another week. i was unable to find another maxima that i liked in my price range so i just bought a lexus ES 300 (1999)...
well, at least the ordeal is over now. no one gets 100% of what their car is worth, so $8300 is pretty darn good. congrats on the lex... that's a nice car!
Old 09-23-2005, 05:45 PM

the lexus is really nice, i was at my wits end trying to find a maxima and so i started looking into legend's and the ES300 and was calling on a few yesterday, the dealership that i called was recieving a shipment of cars today from a high end dealer in cali (i did verify this info) so i went in today and took a look, it was right off the truck...i felt like i got a really good deal on it so i am happy but still feel bad that i didn't get another max...
Old 09-23-2005, 08:06 PM

whers the max now? i want some parts.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:34 PM

i am not mechanically inclined so the insurance company got the car- it was in really good condition too, leather/bose/heated side mirrors and seats ect...but i wasn't going to be able to part it out so i had to just give it to them...they part it out or something