4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: What type of tires should I get?
OEM Continental ContiTouring Contact
4.76%
Bridgestone Turanza
23.81%
Nitto NT450
4.76%
Other-
66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

What type of tires should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What type of tires should I get?

My tires are almost gone and I need new ones. This is also because the winter is coming. Just want to see which all-seasons everyone prefers to get.

If "other" is chosen, can you list it on the post?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:56 PM

I have falken 512s but yet to test them in winter, I heard good reviews about those tires in the winter yet again there are a few bad reviews.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:43 PM

if you want a decent tire for a really good price, go to tirerack.com and check out the avon's. i have 235.45 18s on my ssr gt1's. i love them. they have the best rating in their class and have better traction in the rain compared to my bridgestone potenza so3s that i had up until i got the avons. good luck
Old 09-26-2005, 10:50 PM
Wild for Width

I think Kumho has some pretty good tires. I have had two different models on my 16s.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:06 PM

Barely breaking in some Pirelli Pzero Nero's. Excellnt preformance so far.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:36 AM

Based on experience with my wife's BMW, I'd suggest staying away from the Conti's. They seem to wear very quickly and get noisier than usual as they wear. They have decent winter performance. Not great, but OK. The majority of the review section onTire Rack doesn't seem to be too hot on them either. Don't know how hardcore you are, but maybe look at the Fuzion tire? On paper they seem to be pretty decent if a little soft. I'm leaning heavily to this tire for both the Max and the BMW.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:05 AM

Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
I have ContiExtremeContact and they are awesome in the rain and according to tirerack, they should be similarly awesome in the snow. They are not noisy at all, compared to the masculine rumbling of the VQ.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:28 AM

I recently changed my ContiExtremeContacts for Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S tires.

I was very happy with my Conti's, but when I needed to change my front tires, the local place was out of stock. He convinced me to try the Pirellis, and I'm very satisfied so far. They seem to perform very similarly.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ero+Nero+M%26S
Old 09-27-2005, 08:37 AM

My $.02

I put Kumho's on my '99 SE Ltd. They have been fantastic for the price, and reviews on tirerack were excellent and there were tons of them. Be careful of tires without a lot of documented miles on tirerack, initial reviews are always glowing. I got burned on my previous set, Dunlop D40 M2...

Haven't tried them in the snow yet, but...

I went to a narrower size than the 225/55/16. People may go off on me for this, but I went to a 215/60/16. Load rating and revs per mile were equivalent but the narrower tire should be much better in the rain and snow. Yes the speed rating is a little less as I recall, but I never see over 100 mph anyway so 130 or whatever is fine for me.

I couldn't see any real world negatives and I got these installed at Sears for around $250 I believe...
Old 09-27-2005, 09:14 AM

Never heard complaints about toyo tires, especially the Proxie 4.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Never heard complaints about toyo tires, especially the Proxie 4.
Definately a huge +1 here. I have Toyo Proxes TPT on my 15 in sawblades, and couldn't be happier. Great tires.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Maxima Owner

for winter i use Kumho Escta 732s
Old 09-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Doc

Toyo Proxes 4's get my vote. I love them!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:45 PM

If you have summer wheels with nice performance tires, than put snow tires on your stock rims. I have 18" Enkei ZR-1"s on Toyo Proxess 4's. And Toyo Observes ( snow tires ) on my stock 16" 5 stars. All season tires are not snow tires. If two sets of wheels are not an option for you, I would try to find a tire that has an aggressive tread for snow grip, as well as dry pavement. Try to find a block pattern tread. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:38 PM

I've got Michelin Hydroedges (all season) and I like them a lot. I don't use them in the winter though, I need specific snow tires where I live.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:13 PM

I guess I should go with the Toyo Proxies huh?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:37 AM

avon m550 a/s some of the best if not the best tire that wasnt a low prow that i've put on my car to date. i litereally have to try to make them spin in the rain, which isnt eay i might add, plus they are an high performance tire.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:39 AM

Goodyear Eagle RS-A

I had the earlier version of these tires, they lasted forever.
They dont make any noise and perform well in snow.

oh and this..
http://www.goodyeartires.com/promoti...romotions.html

there is always a promotion going on.
I purchased my tires at www.tirerack.com, had my mechanic install them for next to nothing. Going thru the Goodyear store i would have paid +$150 for all 4 installed.

EDIT: After reading reviews online about these and the other tires suggested, the RS-A does not appear to be a good tire to recommend. I will purchase different tires next time around to have a good comparison. From what I know these are great tires but I need to try something else for a better comparison.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Northern Maxima
I've got Michelin Hydroedges (all season) and I like them a lot. I don't use them in the winter though, I need specific snow tires where I live.
Given you have winter tires, the Michelin Hydroedges are not the right tire to use for the rest of the year unless it rains for the whole time you don't have the snow tires on. You would be better off with summer tires than the Hydroedges, but they will last for 80,000 miles so you won't wear them out anytime soon.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by VQvroom
Goodyear Eagle RS-A

I had the earlier version of these tires, they lasted forever.
They dont make any noise and perform well in snow.

oh and this..
http://www.goodyeartires.com/promoti...romotions.html

there is always a promotion going on.
I purchased my tires at www.tirerack.com, had my mechanic install them for next to nothing. Going thru the Goodyear store i would have paid +$150 for all 4 installed.
I just replaced my Goodyear Eagle RSAs yesterday and they still had tire life on them at 61,000 miles. They were truly pathetic in snow and abysmal in rain. Based on the reviews on tirerack, I question what you have been smoking. Look at the complaints about them on the 6th Generation Forum as a case in point!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bobo
I just replaced my Goodyear Eagle RSAs yesterday and they still had tire life on them at 61,000 miles. They were truly pathetic in snow and abysmal in rain. Based on the reviews on tirerack, I question what you have been smoking. Look at the complaints about them on the 6th Generation Forum as a case in point!

?!I guess i dont know what good tires are..
I read the reviews and have to disagree. My TCS rarely kicks in (rain or shine) and the tires show no signs of wear such as sidewall bubbles or any cracking whatsoever.

I just checked an avearge snowfall in BC...LOL. I guess you would be an expert on snow tires..Judging by the current 5 day forcast I would also say the same about your experience with rain...

What tires did you replace your GS-A's with?
Lets see how they fair up with the "conditions" you live in.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:13 AM

RS-As are pretty crappy. Stay away from them. I got Bridgestone Potenza G009, they're quiet and they grip very nicely in wet and dry condition. In snow they are pretty decent too. I guess I've just been driving more carefully but I don't recall having the ABS do any work during last winter. Only minor issue is with the corner. Sometimes if I'm cornering really hard and fast, the outer edge of the seems to slip a bit but if you manage to shift the weight back onto the center rim, then everything is A-OK
Old 09-28-2005, 08:46 AM

Regarding the Goodyear Eagle RS-A
OK, I've read the complaints in the 6th gen forum. It seems as if a bad batch of tires were put out by Goodyear and unfortunatly OEM mounted onto 2o04 maximas. Ofcourse there is going to be a biased opinion here and overflow of bad remarks. However, I feel that my tires were not from this "bad batch" and are quite happy with them. I would like to hear more suggestions.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:56 AM

OK. Blah Blah Blah. All season high performace only.
Obviously I dont know crap about good tires.
After reading alot of reviews from different sources, the Toyo Proxy 4 seems to have the best reviews 99% positive..while the RS-A have horrible reviews with a 50% or lower positive..this is just based on the tires suggested in this thread, didnt see many reviews on the avons. The Pirelli's had bad reviews because of tread life. The Kumho's had mixed reviews, bad tread life/wear...noisy. The dunlops had similar reviews as the RS-A's. I'd have to admit, after reading the reviews that the RS-A is not a good tire to recommend and as it stands today I would purchase the Toyo Proxy 4.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:58 AM

potenza G009's. great tires.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:59 AM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

The bf goodrich traction T/A are great if they are in your size
Old 09-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I only roll on Nokian

http://www.nokiantyres.com/

Omg these tires are the ****!..
Old 09-28-2005, 12:23 PM

I live in a suburb of Vancouver, BC. The weather here is virtually the same as Seattle with perhaps a little more rain as we have neighboring mountains near the downtown core and northern suburbs.

Have you ever read any reviews on www.tirerack.com. I suggest you give it a whirl if you haven't already. They don't stock Toyos, however.

My selection of tires is restricted to some extent because I prefer to stick with the OEM 15" sawblades. Consequently, I can't run Toyo Proxes 4 or TS1, nor can I run Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S.

My decision came down to either: BF Goodrich Traction TA (H-rated) or Yokohama Avid H4S (H-rated). See the reviews for both on tirerack.

I got a superb deal on the Avid H4S yesterday and opted for them as I saved Cdn$305 on a set of 4 (see my thread in the Canada Forum).

If I lived in your climate, where I believe the winters can get severe with ice and snow being seen at times, I would have opted for the Traction TAs over the Goodyear Eagle RSAs any day of the week. Again see the tirerack ratings and customer feedback.

The noise level of the Yokohama Avid H4S relative to the RSAs is infinitely lower and they are rated at 60K miles. They will outperform the RSAs in all weather conditions.

?!I guess i dont know what good tires are..
I read the reviews and have to disagree. My TCS rarely kicks in (rain or shine) and the tires show no signs of wear such as sidewall bubbles or any cracking whatsoever.

I just checked an avearge snowfall in BC...LOL. I guess you would be an expert on snow tires..Judging by the current 5 day forcast I would also say the same about your experience with rain...

What tires did you replace your GS-A's with?
Lets see how they fair up with the "conditions" you live in.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:10 PM

I live in a suburb of Vancouver, BC. The weather here is virtually the same as Seattle with perhaps a little more rain as we have neighboring mountains near the downtown core and northern suburbs.

Have you ever read any reviews on www.tirerack.com. I suggest you give it a whirl if you haven't already. They don't stock Toyos, however.

My selection of tires is restricted to some extent because I prefer to stick with the OEM 15" sawblades. Consequently, I can't run Toyo Proxes 4 or TS1, nor can I run Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S.

My decision came down to either: BF Goodrich Traction TA (H-rated) or Yokohama Avid H4S (H-rated). See the reviews for both on tirerack.

I got a superb deal on the Avid H4S yesterday and opted for them as I saved Cdn$305 on a set of 4 (see my thread in the Canada Forum).

If I lived in your climate, where I believe the winters can get severe with ice and snow being seen at times, I would have opted for the Traction TAs over the Goodyear Eagle RSAs any day of the week. Again see the tirerack ratings and customer feedback.

The noise level of the Yokohama Avid H4S relative to the RSAs is infinitely lower and they are rated at 60K miles. They will outperform the RSAs in all weather conditions.
I had originally purchased the RS-A's because my max was (i assume) OEM equipped with the old Eagle RS, which lasted me a very very long time. I will review the tires you recommended to find another alternative to the RS-A to try out next time around. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:40 PM

I had originally purchased the RS-A's because my max was (i assume) OEM equipped with the old Eagle RS, which lasted me a very very long time. I will review the tires you recommended to find another alternative to the RS-A to try out next time around. Thanks for the input.
I must say that the old RSAs wear like iron. At 61K, I was not down to the wear bars, but more like 3/32". If I was just heading into the spring rather than the fall, I might have run them for another 5K. As it stood, I thought that I might be pushing the envelope and didn't want to hydroplane off the highway into the ditch during the upcoming monsoon season.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:58 PM

Given you have winter tires, the Michelin Hydroedges are not the right tire to use for the rest of the year unless it rains for the whole time you don't have the snow tires on. You would be better off with summer tires than the Hydroedges, but they will last for 80,000 miles so you won't wear them out anytime soon.
I wanted the Hydroedges cause the highway I take to get home is pretty uneven and its pretty bad for hydroplaning. I wanted something that had a really long treadlife due to the dirt roads I have to drive on and something that resisted hydroplaning well. I looked into summer tires but the tread life seemed to be shorter and the ones I liked best (Nokians!) were super expensive. I'm really happy with the Hydroedges though.

Originally Posted by packetscan
http://www.nokiantyres.com/

Omg these tires are the ****!..
I have Nokians for winter tires and they're awesome. Their performance tires look sweet but they cost a ton!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by DpG $h0rTeE
Barely breaking in some Pirelli Pzero Nero's. Excellnt preformance so far.
I have the Rossos, they are amazing. less than 50% tread left and they still dont squeal in hard cornering.