4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My woodgrain is peeling.....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 10:32 AM

so, maybe I'm ****, but a corner of the woodgrain of one of the passenger dash vents is not sticking and the same thing is also happening at the corner of the piece under the guages. Is there an easy fix? would I do harm to heat with a hair dryer and peel it off? I'm not overly impressed with the kit in the first place but the car that came with the kit sucked me in.
Old 05-29-2001, 12:45 PM

Same situation

I think you have the same problem I have. You're talking about the wood dash kit, I assume. In my case, the plastic actually cracked because someone pushed down on it when it was "hardened". Same place as yours, right upper corner just below the dash vents. I posted in the General Forum for ways to get rid of the entire trim cause I'll probably replace it with something else.
And I'm sure heating it wouldn't do any damage because a couple of times when the inside of my Max was extra hot from being in the sun, the plastic was actually flexible like rubber... I just never had any glue around to try and "save" it... So much for that now...
Old 05-29-2001, 02:28 PM

Re: Same situation

Originally posted by Maxima81
I think you have the same problem I have. You're talking about the wood dash kit, I assume. In my case, the plastic actually cracked because someone pushed down on it when it was "hardened". Same place as yours, right upper corner just below the dash vents. I posted in the General Forum for ways to get rid of the entire trim cause I'll probably replace it with something else.
And I'm sure heating it wouldn't do any damage because a couple of times when the inside of my Max was extra hot from being in the sun, the plastic was actually flexible like rubber... I just never had any glue around to try and "save" it... So much for that now...
thanks, I've got to figure out if it's better to save it or just heat it like hades and take it out and then fight to clean the residue.
Old 05-30-2001, 12:34 AM

I'm having the same problems as both of you and was thinking of getting rid of it and replacing it with something else like aluminum but I was sure of the best way to take it off with out doing damage to the stock trim underneith the woodtrim. I thought of just heating it up too.When it gets hot in my car the pieces are really flexable.

Max99