4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pics of CE's revised 95-96 red/clear taillights

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 08:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine fit just fine, and look great in my opinion! I am quite happy with my purchase. They are aftermarket, and as such, aren't quite OEM quality, which to me is to be expected. The tab that should sit flush on the inside of the trunk isn't flush on mine either, which is kind of odd, but the actual tails are flush and look excellent. Really compliments my car!

CE was very good about returning the first batch for everybody, and I don't understand why anyone thinks they wouldn't do the same for you if you aren't satisfied with your purchase!

I find it interesting that everyone jumped on the bandwagon without even checking fitment....

Again, not saying his aren't crap, but mine are great!
Old 10-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Licensed to Spell

O.k., I finally got around to installing the new/revised CE diamond red/clears on my '96 last night. I only did the left side so I could compare to my red/clear APC's on the right. They fit fine. I'd say 95% fine. The outer light was pretty much dead on and the inner/trunk light varied ever so slightly at the "trunk wave" but you need to stand right up to it, stare and run your finger over it to even notice.

I had the same problem as other people with the inner 'flap' of the outer taillights not sitting flush against the car. Other than that, I am really impressed with these lights.

I really like them. They look very clean/luxurious. A good combo of looking custom without standing out as an obvious aftermarket add-on.

I tested the lights and they look really sweet! With just regular bulbs, they light up very bright! The red is really bright red, the reverse is very bright and the blinkers actually look orange! - unlike my APCs which look like a dull peach. The red is a deeper, brighter red than the APC too.

I was a little confused with the electrical. CE included a whole new connection for the little red 194 bulb. I don't know why. I just used my stock connection. As far as the outer and inner taillight connections, I just winged it. There were two sets of two connectors with the only difference being the wire color. I assumed one pair for the two trunk lights, one pair for the two outer lights. But which went to which? Since both have one 1156 socket and one 1157 socket, I flipped a coin and went for it. It worked. Be careful not to plug in the socket into the wrong chamber, the 1156 socket fits fine in the 1157 chamber and vise versa.

Other than the minor gripes, I really like them. In fact I will be putting my '96 trunk on my '99 just so I can use these lights.

Comlaints:
- The inside 'flap' on the outer taillights is warped and does not sit flush like the OEM or APC's. It can't be seen when the trunk is closed but it can be when the trunk is open.

- The rubber surround was coming off. Luckily it was still "gooey" so I could just remove it and reaply it.

- Like others have stated, I wish the blinker section light up the entire chamber and not just a smaller sqaure within.

- Even with the chrome bulbs provided by CE, I still saw a little orange reflection in the blinker section.

- Wiring instruction would be nice - just to alleviate any doubt.

- Fitment ever so slightly off on the inner lights - the outer lights seem fine though.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:42 PM

So its been like a long time now. I emailed Greg like 2 or 3 weeks ago and he never responded to me. I spoke with Nick on Oct. 3 in costomer service and sent him pics. He said he would call me back the next day and its been a week and no phone call. I called this morning and neither of them are available to talk. Their communication with me is absolutely terrible and Im really p****d off right now!!
This is my first and last experience with that company!!
Old 10-10-2005, 01:11 PM

are these the lights custom maxima is selling??
Old 10-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally Posted by Stuntin' 101
are these the lights custom maxima is selling??

Thread title = "Pics of CE's revised 95-96 red/clear taillights"

CE = Custom Enterprises

Custom Enterprises = Custom Maxima

Answer to your question = Yes.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Spud,

Tell everybody what we discovered about your CE lights last night...
Old 10-10-2005, 04:40 PM

what would that be?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:12 PM

Hey....love the look of your painted wheels and your 4th gen. I didn't know that not having the wheel cap still looks good. I might have to do this with my Pebble Beige Max and paint the wheels graphite or bronze.

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
what would that be?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:23 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Spud,

Tell everybody what we discovered about your CE lights last night...

Yeah, when I wrote what I wrote in thread #42, it was from an inspection while the trunk lid was in the air. It didn't dawn on me to reinspect after closing the trunk.
Anyway, Jim noticed last night that when the trunk is closed the outer and inner lights aren't flush across. If you run your finger from light to light it is off by about 2mm on the bottom, equal at the center and off by -2mm at the top. Almost like and 'X'.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
Hey....love the look of your painted wheels and your 4th gen. I didn't know that not having the wheel cap still looks good. I might have to do this with my Pebble Beige Max and paint the wheels graphite or bronze.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2005, 05:48 PM

I just installed a set of APC all clear which I painted to red/clear. I noticed this same issue on the right side. The inner and outter lenses isn't perfectly even. Since the inner lense is still the stock ones, I checked for positioning and noticed that the lamp didn't sit flush towards the bottom of the trunk lid. I had to undo all 4 nuts and repositioned the housing. It got better but I need to put more work into repositioning it. I'll take pix when I get the chance. Also, sometimes you tend to overtighten some of the nuts and you end up really pulling the lamp housing in more creating the uneveness.

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Yeah, when I wrote what I wrote in thread #42, it was from an inspection while the trunk lid was in the air. It didn't dawn on me to reinspect after closing the trunk.
Anyway, Jim noticed last night that when the trunk is closed the outer and inner lights aren't flush across. If you run your finger from light to light it is off by about 2mm on the bottom, equal at the center and off by -2mm at the top. Almost like and 'X'.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

I called up CE and they said I was one of the first to wanting a refund due to fitment issues. THey did issue me a RA number to return it for a refund.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I want some of those

Is there any webite I can find that has them cheap.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Black Knight 1
Nope. They're only at Custom Enterprise. He even had "Custom Enterprise" embossed in the tailights....
Old 10-14-2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Black Knight 1

Ill sell you these if you wanna finish modifying them to fit since CE wont issue me a full cash refund since I modified it.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:38 AM

i seen these in person.. and they look like ****.. id go with davidl's or stock..
Old 10-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
i seen these in person.. and they look like ****.. id go with davidl's or stock..

I "seen" them in person too and I think they look good (of course I wish fitment was 100%). Not everyone can get Davidl's so easily so that isn't really a valid option.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:52 AM

I "seen" them in person too and I think they look good (of course I wish fitment was 100%). Not everyone can get Davidl's so easily so that isn't really a valid option.
well if you like cheap looking apc crap on your car then more power to you..

this how these tails should have looked like..

Old 10-14-2005, 11:54 AM

btw.. That's a Renault SM5, Korean Nissan Maxima. for the noobies..

oh and they wont fit 4th gens... only i30's..
Old 10-14-2005, 01:38 PM

sounds typical of CM product quality and customer service, i cant believe people still buy anything from them
Old 10-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
well if you like cheap looking apc crap on your car then more power to you..

this how these tails should have looked like..

You aren't making any sense. You recommended DavidL's but then knocked APC. DavidL's are APC.

Yes, those SM5 lights look bad a.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:50 PM

You aren't making any sense. You recommended DavidL's but then knocked APC. DavidL's are APC.

Yes, those SM5 lights look bad a.
you got me there..
Old 10-14-2005, 08:30 PM

why dont u guys heat up that black plastic piece and make it sit flush if it's such a big problem.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:52 PM

Well thats not the only issue. The outside light doesnt seal against the trunk so moisture and water will get in, the whole lens doesnt light up and the weather stripping is flimsy. The back of it is designed differently than the oem. None of these issues should even be. If youre gonna pay $150 or so for some lights, you should get lights that fit. CE shouldnt even have released them with all these problems, thats just bad business. Whats worse is that they take 4ever to respond, as if theyre avoiding you.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:27 PM

i saw the illumination pattern on those..and the turn signal lights up in the shape of a box... eh
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 AM

For those who returned their CE tails, how long did you guys wait to get your refund? I'm going on 4 weeks, still nothing. They've received my tails 4 weeks ago and have not gotten any refund. I called every week, left messages, no return call. I've talked to Tony, he said he'll get back to me on it, and no call back.

I tried to be as calm and patient as possible and my impression about this after all this time is that I will never buy anything from CE anymore. It seems as though they are only interested in making a sale and when it comes refunding your money, they will lag on it for as long as they can. Sorry if I seem to be venting but my patience has ran out.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:23 AM
I Broke OT

wow. this is really dissapointing. how much does it run to do a 97-99 trunk conversion? it seems like that is the only option. i have seen red/clears on ebay for less than $100, so the lid and paint will probably be about $200? too bad these didn't fit better, but everytime I see them, they get fugglier and fugglier. just too distracting from the rest of the car.

any pics of these at night? i'd like to see the light output just for kicks.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:59 AM

I think there are some pics of them lit towards page 1 or 2.

I just think that all this is unfair. First we got the initial first batch with fitment issues, mine were delivered damaged. So I, and everyone else in here who have had to get theirs replaced, waited for weeks, even months. I finally gave up waiting and shortly after, the second batch were available for shipment. Now I'm still waiting for my refund. I call CE and I'm put on hold for a long time because noone is available to help me, what a coincidence. I talked to Greg this morning and he said that I should be getting my refund soon since my paperwork is no longer on someone's desk and most likely have gone to accounting. Who knows how long will my paper work sit on someone else's desk.

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
wow. this is really dissapointing. how much does it run to do a 97-99 trunk conversion? it seems like that is the only option. i have seen red/clears on ebay for less than $100, so the lid and paint will probably be about $200? too bad these didn't fit better, but everytime I see them, they get fugglier and fugglier. just too distracting from the rest of the car.

any pics of these at night? i'd like to see the light output just for kicks.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:07 AM

NISMOGTR you better take them off and let them dry out b4 u put sealant on it or that **** will stay in there
Old 01-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Still chugging along...

Holy thread revival!

I got mine in last week and got only the inner trunk lights installed today. I suppose they are the 2nd batch. They fit better than the original photos in this thread but they are still not at all right. I ended up taking that shytty "weatherstripping" (if you can call it that) off entirely because ther was no way to make them sit anywhere near flush with it on. Besides that, it didn't even fit the contours of the edge of the lens and the adhesive was a complete joke. The studs on the outside of the trunk lense were about 1/2" too long so you couldn't use the original cap nuts. You could just buy regular nuts and have the hazard of impaling yourself with the stud sticking out or do what I did and put 4 washers on the stud and then it was short enough to use the original hardware. Before installing them I took off that laughable weartherstrip and used clear silicone to seal it up around all the cracks like the manufacturer should have done. After installation there was still a noticable gap because the contours aren't quite right (particularly at the "wave" indentation) so once again I pushed silicone deep into the crack to keep water out of my trunk and the lens itself. With my car being white it isn't noticeable but it shouldn't have to be done, I didn't pay good money for a product that's not fit for its intended applicaton. We'll see how well it works when we get the first hard rain or when I wash the car.

I love the look of the lights but the fittment is extremely disappointing. I also had to silicone the hell out of the CE clear bumper lights because they were literally almost coming apart at the edges. One of the curved front pieces sticks out about 1/4" from where it should. The studs that secure the front part of the non-curved side marker light is too small for the grommet - the first time I drove with them I got out of the car to find my side marker hanging down. How embarassing! I "fixed" it by putting a piece of 14 GA speaker wire insulation in the grommet to make the fit much tighter. All in all I think CE needs to do a better job of QC on their goods. I know it is all cheaply made Taiwanese crap, but for $150 or more I think the quality should be a bit better.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by White Shadow
All in all I think CE needs to do a better job of QC on their goods. I know it is all cheaply made Taiwanese crap, but for $150 or more I think the quality should be a bit better.
I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:28 AM

wow, was looking into getting some, oh well
Old 01-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Unbelievable, just unbelievable. Are you 100000% sure you received the latest and most current set available? Sounds like he sent you the original bad batch tailights. Have you called them? Report here what they tell you. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:02 PM

Im sure I received a set from the so-called second batch cause I sent my first ones back from the first batch to get a some from the revised set. I slapped one on to the trunk lid and ran into 2 problems. Thinking I could fix it my modifing it and not thinking I would run into more problems with the other three pieces, I cut the flimsy weather striping to make the light fit. CE says they wont refund my money cause I altered one of the lenses. All they could do was give me store credit. Now this isnt good enough for me cause I wont buy anything from them again. Now the lights are just sitting in the garage.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:36 AM

I ordered them three weeks ago. Came in bad. Returned them early last week. Still waiting for replacement.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:11 AM

for the guys with bacardi's tails..simply paint the outside and clearcoat it...dont bother opening them up..its a smarter way of doing it..my tails looked hacked after the lengths i had to go thru to open them up. friend of mine simply painted the outside and they look like new still since this summer
Old 01-31-2006, 07:49 AM
Administrator

That really stinks maxspeed96. CE needs to get their $hit together with these tailight issues. I hope CE is reading this....