4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

high flow cat

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:40 PM

high flow cat

I bought my car off of a friend, the entire exhaust system is after market except for the cat for some reason and i'm looking to get a high flow cat because the exhaust rattles and the bolt on the cat actually loosens up since apparantley the stock cat is too short for the setup.

I was curious as to if anyone has ever gone with one of the el cheapo e-bay cats and what the results were.

example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...spagenameZWDVW
Old 09-28-2005, 09:59 PM

with a high flowing cat. you might actually have some issues with emissions. aleast thats what i think personally. i've seen some of more known names for around $60 a hi flow.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Team Ramrod

What makes you think a high flow cat will be long enough? From what I've heard, they're more trouble than they're worth in most cases.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:38 AM

I bought that exact cat, and guess what? its not a cat oh and ~ u will need to have a bung welded on it to hold the downstream 02 sensor. $46 at Midas. Not a biggie, yes it is the right size, yes it is not a hastle to put on, just get some pb blaster and some thread antilock and ur good to go.

its not a cat because it doesnt have catalyst inside, its more like a glass pack, if u need to pass emisions i wouldnt suggest it, I dont worry about emissions (cause im kewl like that) so Im putting mine on first thing in the morning laterz
~A
Old 09-29-2005, 06:46 AM
brad kay

Originally Posted by xxrealmsxx
I bought my car off of a friend, the entire exhaust system is after market except for the cat for some reason and i'm looking to get a high flow cat because the exhaust rattles and the bolt on the cat actually loosens up since apparantley the stock cat is too short for the setup.

I was curious as to if anyone has ever gone with one of the el cheapo e-bay cats and what the results were.

example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...spagenameZWDVW

i too bought that same "el cheapo" high-flo cat. It bolted up just fine, but every part (y-pipe, catback) of my exhaust went on that day too so it was all apart anyways. I dono how it managaes with a stock system.. aparently there might be some problems. Personally i kinda regret it because it won't pass emissions for everything. Like when they say allowable levels of carbon monoxide are .07% my car blew like a 18% or some terrible number. Not good.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:28 AM

Yeah I have to do emissions, i'm going to go by a muffler shop tommorow and ask them for some advice, my exhauast is a piece of ***.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:50 PM

u know.. swapping out known good cats are illegal tho right. I mean most shops do it anyways but they are illegal to do and some might turn you away. Emissions related items are not suppose to be tampered with. But we do it anyways with our Y's. Just to give you a heads up.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Black Maxima

I'll let everyone know within the next week or so if I pass emmisions with my Y-Pipe and High-Flow Cat...

Old 09-29-2005, 08:33 PM

get one from random technology. or you can goto autozone and get a catco.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:40 PM

I love mine, for $9 US u cant complain even though shipping was like 25 but lol they haveta make money I guess, anyways two things ive noticed:

1. restored low end power (seemed i lost a tad when I put on stillen muffler)

2. engine starts on a dime (engine starts *markedly* better, very noticeable)

I have no idea why #2 would happen from removing the cat (new cat is not really a cat = no catalyst, but kinda like a glasspac)? release of back pressure maybe?
Old 09-30-2005, 12:56 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Dont buy that piece of ****. If your stock cat appears to be "too short" for the exhaust system, that means that the catback that was put on is not the proper size/length, its not the cat. Any hi flow cat you buy will be the same length as the stock one. If its rattleing, go to a muffler shop and have them weld on a bracket or something, dont buy a new cat.

The only reason you should EVER buy a hi flow cat is 1, your stock cat is bad and you need a replacement cus OEM is too expensive, or 2. your boosted. Hi flow cats add maybe .5hp to an N/A car. If for some reason you have to buy one, get a warpspeed hi flow, they are $160 shipped for the California Spec cat, and $99 shipped for the regular one.

btw, a hi flwo cat will pass emissions, I have one and it passed just fine.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:55 PM

Vlasic, ya if you have the money to dump on a real "hi flow" cat from stillen or warpspeed or whoever.

if you want admissions passability go with what vlasic said,
if you want *slight* performance mod go with cheapo ebay "cat"
Old 09-30-2005, 07:30 PM

I'm catless and loving it, join the club