4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Right, Left Lower Control Arm Bushings...450.00?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 11:00 PM

Right, Left Lower Control Arm Bushings...450.00?!?

Quoted by a local mechanic that did my inspection today (and failed me). Said the bushings were almost completely destroyed. Said 400-450 to replace, seems way high for me, just for bushings, even with labor. Anyone that's had them replaced, what was the cost? Would you trust a hack shop like Pep Boys with something like this? Just seems way excessive...and the mechanic was shady, said that he could work on the vehicle after hours since I have a very tight schedule and cannot be without my car for long.

I'd take it to my normal mechanic, but he's on vacation for the next week, and in Massachusetts, if you get failed for a safety issue, you can be pulled over and ticketed at ANY point after the rejections sticker is placed on the vehicle (if you run into an unsympathetic officer). So do you think the guy was just trying to take advantage of me, considering the situation or what?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

80$ on ebay for the ENTIRE LCA (bushings/ball joint included) Haynes manual 13$ ... An hour of your time ...
Old 10-04-2005, 11:11 PM

Would you reccomend replacing the entire LCA? I'm sure as hell not going to do it, I'm 80% inept at repair. Wouldn't have the first clue how to do it. I have both a haynes and chilton manual simply for reference.

What would be a good price from a shop to repair the bushings?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just change the LCA yourself , or put $$$ on the mechanic's desk and call it a day.

look for write up in my sig

Nick.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Definitely change both entire control arms instead of just the bushings. Your car is old and the ball joint is way past it's prime. If the mechanic can't get a cheap source for the LCA's, buy them off ebay yourself and tell him to install them. Should be about 2-3 hours labor I'm guessing.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:23 AM
VK56 Inside

I just did mine. Total cost $36.95 for ES Bushings and 4 hours of my time. $450 = no way in hell.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to just replace the entire LCA on each side (thanks for the ebay link!), rather than worry about anything crapping out on me in the future. Anything else I should look into replacing when the mechanic has everything taken apart?

I've got 150k miles on my max now btw.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rooster286
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to just replace the entire LCA on each side (thanks for the ebay link!), rather than worry about anything crapping out on me in the future. Anything else I should look into replacing when the mechanic has everything taken apart?

I've got 150k miles on my max now btw.
Inspect the sway bar end links. They are fairly cheap to replace.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:24 PM

I replaced all my control arm bushings (energy suspension), including the balljoints (moog), and my swaybar bushings and endlinks. I don't know why so many of you guys think you need a new LCA if your balljoint goes.

Rooster - In your case I'd just get the control arms off ebay. And trust me, if you have half a brain you'll have no problem switching out the control arms. Just seperate the tie rod, strut, and balljoint from the steering knuckle. Take off the axle nut (36mm) and loosen all the bolts holding the control arm in (the 1 big one is 27mm and the other 5-6 bolts are 22mm IIRC). Heck I'm from Mass too and wouldn't mind driving to Amherst to help you do it (no charge just a fellow orger offering to help out). I have air tools and a small portable compressor I could bring with me. Let me know
Old 10-05-2005, 05:31 PM

man if only i had an .orger around my area like you who would even help for free. i'd still pay for your gas, lunch and troubles. way less than a mech and i'd probably learn something.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by bhmax16
I replaced all my control arm bushings (energy suspension), including the balljoints (moog), and my swaybar bushings and endlinks. I don't know why so many of you guys think you need a new LCA if your balljoint goes.
I whacked a curb for my 'excuse' , so I take that you were referring to the "other" guys.

Take off the axle nut (36mm)
You don;t have to do this ... and it makes the job more difficult than it should be .. This does NOT have to be done.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I whacked a curb for my 'excuse' , so I take that you were referring to the "other" guys.

You don;t have to do this ... and it makes the job more difficult than it should be .. This does NOT have to be done.
Wow I offer another orger FREE help and you have to step in with a rude response like that? I believe it was quite clear that I was referring to the balljoint itself...that if it happens to go bad, you don't need to buy a new control arm. $30 for a new balljoint and 1 hour of my time is better than spending even $80 on a new LCA on ebay if you ask me.

By the way taking the axle nut off just makes the job easier since you have more room to work with since you can pull the steering knuckle out further. I have air tools so it doesn't make the job anymore difficult. I just zap it off in 2 seconds with my impact wrench.

kbmaxima - you may actually be in luck because my parents are moving to new jersey, haha. I'm looking to find my own place here but if I'm unsuccessful then I'll be heading down to NJ in a month or so. Otherwise I'll still be down there time to time to visit and such so if you ever need a hand with something let me know and I'll see what I can do
Old 10-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JwaxMax99
Inspect the sway bar end links. They are fairly cheap to replace.

I can almost guarantee that they will be shot on both sides for a 1995... I believe they are $18 for the pair.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:59 PM

kbmaxima - you may actually be in luck because my parents are moving to new jersey, haha. I'm looking to find my own place here but if I'm unsuccessful then I'll be heading down to NJ in a month or so. Otherwise I'll still be down there time to time to visit and such so if you ever need a hand with something let me know and I'll see what I can do
diy'ers with slightly smaller nuts need more people like yourself. I'm in real estate, if you need help finding a place around here in a month, I'll def help you out and turn my commission back over to u. let me know if you're ever down here in nj for any kind of event, I will clear out the day, get a 30 pack and pizzas, and learn a thing or two from u.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by kbmaxima
diy'ers with slightly smaller nuts need more people like yourself. I'm in real estate, if you need help finding a place around here in a month, I'll def help you out and turn my commission back over to u. let me know if you're ever down here in nj for any kind of event, I will clear out the day, get a 30 pack and pizzas, and learn a thing or two from u.
Thanks for the kind words and offer. I believe my folks already have a house picked out and we're just wheeling and dealin with the builder now. The main conflict is that I don't want to move again and would prefer to stay here no matter what it takes (even if I have to live in the maxima for a while, haha). I went to 3 different high schools since we move so much and went to college for 2 years and am now taking time off and working on cars in a shop for the time being until I figure out where I want to go in life. So it's not really about finding a place down in NJ it's about finding a place here in Mass that I can stay for a while until I have enough dough to get on my own feet. We'll see how things go and I'll definitely let you know when I'm down in NJ (either for a visit or always around the holidays and such). Take care
Old 10-05-2005, 08:38 PM
I still miss the max

stillen sells some aftermarket ones for 40$, i actually am having the same problem on my 95, i'll let you know when i get them on how it is
Old 10-06-2005, 03:15 PM

Rooster - In your case I'd just get the control arms off ebay. And trust me, if you have half a brain you'll have no problem switching out the control arms. Just seperate the tie rod, strut, and balljoint from the steering knuckle. Take off the axle nut (36mm) and loosen all the bolts holding the control arm in (the 1 big one is 27mm and the other 5-6 bolts are 22mm IIRC). Heck I'm from Mass too and wouldn't mind driving to Amherst to help you do it (no charge just a fellow orger offering to help out). I have air tools and a small portable compressor I could bring with me. Let me know

Wow, thanks for the offer! I'd like to learn how to do it myself, but I have no experience with anything related to the suspension. I'm basically a oil, brakes, filters DIY'er and unfortunately I'm on a tight schedule now that I failed my inspection, since "technically" i'm not allowed to drive the vehicle because it failed the safety check, so it's gotta get fixed as soon as the LCA's come in (which I'm ordering tomorrow off ebay). Not to mention that someone stole my jack, stands, tire iron, and toolbox out of my trunk about 6 months ago when I accidently/stupidly left my car unlocked at a friends birthday party.

If I wasn't on such a tight schedule (gotta get it done next week sometime), I'd def. take you up on your offer...esp since I'm going to end up taking it to Midas/Firestone since my mechanic is on vacation, and most other places in my area have a 3-5 day backlog of work.

But thanks again for the offer, and if I ever have the chance to replace something beyond my limited skills at my/your leisure, I'll be sure to see if you're still up for it
Old 10-06-2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rooster286
Wow, thanks for the offer! I'd like to learn how to do it myself, but I have no experience with anything related to the suspension. I'm basically a oil, brakes, filters DIY'er and unfortunately I'm on a tight schedule now that I failed my inspection, since "technically" i'm not allowed to drive the vehicle because it failed the safety check, so it's gotta get fixed as soon as the LCA's come in (which I'm ordering tomorrow off ebay). Not to mention that someone stole my jack, stands, tire iron, and toolbox out of my trunk about 6 months ago when I accidently/stupidly left my car unlocked at a friends birthday party.

If I wasn't on such a tight schedule (gotta get it done next week sometime), I'd def. take you up on your offer...esp since I'm going to end up taking it to Midas/Firestone since my mechanic is on vacation, and most other places in my area have a 3-5 day backlog of work.

But thanks again for the offer, and if I ever have the chance to replace something beyond my limited skills at my/your leisure, I'll be sure to see if you're still up for it
Not a problem at all! I do of course have a jack and jack stands too that I could always bring (I have a small one for home use which only weighs about 40 pounds and it isn't big and bulky). I also have all the tools you'd probably ever need to do just about anything and a giant Snap-on toolbox that they all stay in Yes I am heavily in debt as a result but hey, the tools keep me and my max happy.

Let me know if you ever need help with anything at all, take care
Old 10-10-2005, 07:41 PM

this whole time i was under the impression that the ball joints were not replaceable and the entire control arm must be replaced. whats the process on replacing the ball joint? do you need a press?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:27 PM

the price he quoted you is probably for new lca's anyway.. as far as where to get them, you can get them off ebay. although alot of people have gotten them from there without any issue's i must be one of the select few. i purchased mine from world suspension off ebay. 2 new lca's with all the bushings and ball joints pressed in, inner and outter tie rods, and sway bar endlinks. i had one of my ball joints go bad a week later, and had to have a new one pressed in.. after going through that, i personally, wouldnt buy off ebay again. altough i have to say i havent had problems with the other parts. i believe Nick bought his from the same seller a long time ago and has not had any bad issues.

Discount Auto Parts and Accessories - Drivewire.com here is another option.. the entire lca's are about 150 each apposed to the 80 from ebay.. they also have free shipping. im sure these would be of better quality, but the ebay ones are better than any oem with 100,000 miles on it.

as far as the ball joints go, the ones that come on the ebay lca's are not the best. i mean, they are definately better than the ones on your car now, but moog balljoints are definatly better than the ebay ones. i had a moog pressed in to replace my bad one from ebay.. they are also a little thicker.

you dont have to replace the entire lca to fix a balljoint. you can press a new ball joint in.. ( so the answer is yes you need a press). the reason most people just go ahead and replace the entire lca is because it takes about the same amount of time, as just the balljoint, so why not replace every bushing in there. it would defintaly suck to spend the time replacing just the ball joint, and then the control arm bushing with 100,000 miles on it goes bad ya know..

at any rate, no matter which route you choose to go, just make sure you do both sides. either do ball joints, or both lca's...
Old 10-12-2005, 12:42 PM

Everytime I get suspension work that requires removing the strut, my alignment is almost always messed up! GRRR... have you guys had alignment issues?