4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New stock suspension for auto tranny owners only

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 06:36 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

New stock suspension for auto tranny owners only

I've found a new suspension set up that makes the car sit perfectly even. The stock ride height is a little on the high side, especially the front end. The wheel well gaps up front seem huge with a set of 17" rims on. I've always wanted to just lower the front slightly to match the rear, giving the car a clean even stance without sacraficing any ride comfort.

I've been riding on the H&R/Illumina set up for a while now and although the car does ride good on this set up, larger bumps and bad roads toss you around a bit. I want that smooth, luxury, sports car ride back so I started thinking. We've all seen that 5 speed owners who lower their cars don't get the same drop up front as us auto tranny owners. Some call it rear end sag, but in reality it's the front causing the illusion.

I started looking around for different springs and thought that there might be a differance between the stock front springs on 5 speeds, ~vrs~ autos. Sure enough, (credit goes to JSutter) the FSM does spec out a different front spring for 5 speeds. JSutter also had a set of 5 speed springs and sent me pics of the different spings side by side. They are definately different, the 5 speed has one less coil winding on it, but they both stand about the same height.

Friday afternoon I put my car up on the lift and began my suspension overhaul once again. A little over an hour later the car was back down on the ground looking like a 4x4. The front gaps were bigger then the rear and honestly I thought I made a mistake. I went for a ride and discovered how awsome the ride on Illuminas really is. WOW, very smooth, yet nice firm controlled ride. I was extreamly happy wth that! But that gap, OK I'll get used to it.

I got the car aligned Saturday, it was pouring rain really hard all day long. I never really got a chance to look things over. Sunday came and I went out to wash the car. Much to my suprise the front seemed to have settled a bit over the past 2 days. Got out my trusty finger measuring system and discovered I was right. Front and rear gaps are exactly the same, and thats with a full tank of gas too! The car actually looks good even with the 17" rims on it. The best part is the ride, it feels like I just baught a new car once again. I think this might be the last time I ever touch my car's suspension.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:12 AM
Wild for Width

Congrats on getting a setup you enjoy! Suspension work can be frustrating . .
Old 10-10-2005, 07:19 AM

Enough of this suspension non-sense.. where did you get that dash kit?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Wait...

So you put 5-speed-spec OEM springs on the front...right?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:24 AM
sky jumper

so how does your ride compare to the stock SE auto setup? are the 5sp springs softer?

Old 10-10-2005, 08:24 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
Enough of this suspension non-sense.. where did you get that dash kit?

I believe he got it custom made by one of the dash kit companies(same price but you get no warrenty). I was looking to get it when I saw the smoke wood in the 2002 Q45 but realized nothing looks good with tan interior
Old 10-10-2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by sky jumper
so how does your ride compare to the stock SE auto setup? are the 5sp springs softer?
I don't believe they are softer, the ride is sporty but very smooth. Keep in mind with the adjustable Illuminas I can go from very soft up to very stiff. I have them set at 2F & 3R right now.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wait, so you have H&R's on the rears?

My H&R with Illumina's look much lower in the rear!

I know what you mean about wanting that smooth ride again, i want it too.. but i think any higher then H&R's on 18" would look 4x4.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:30 PM

I believe he went back to stock springs all around except for the 5 speed OEM springs for the front. Less the 5 speed springs, he has the same setup I may be going for by next year. No more racing for this car.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:06 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

all front springs are the same through out the models gxe/se/gle. but they differ between transmissions.
all rear springs are the same between transmissions, but differ between gxe/gle vs. se.

the se has stiffer rear springs (that accutally lower the car by 2mm) and stiffer valved struts. thats all.

its nice to see the difference on an auto.
i am thinking about using rear gxe springs to raise my car and make it more level.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Nice. Comfort rules.

I am curious though, are you planning on putting your RSB back on due to the re-emergence of body roll from the stock springs? (is there a huge difference between the body rolls?) Or are you perfectly happy with what you have going on now?

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my suspension, but trying to find a happy medium between stance, comfort & handling has been tough. I do like what you have going on now (stance & comfort wise and wheel gap is no biggie for me) but am curious to know how the body roll feels to you now.

thanx for your input.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

hey tom, i thought you got rid of the egg yolks? and whats the switch on the dash where the blank spot is stock, gas door?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:23 PM

Do you plan on selling your H&R Springs? I'll be interested.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:36 AM

I don't notice any excessive body roll, I think the Illuminas do a great job in the ride and handling department. Last night was the first time I was able to really cruise at high speeds on the highway. The car rides a lot like my 330i now, maybe just a little firmer.

The switch on my dash is for the Traction Control.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:54 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
I don't notice any excessive body roll, I think the Illuminas do a great job in the ride and handling department.
You should get an RSB to go with the stock springs.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:05 AM

great job njmaxseltd.
all this time I thought you rims were 16's
Old 10-11-2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
You should get an RSB to go with the stock springs.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:53 AM

Old 10-11-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

so what are the settings on the struts?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
so what are the settings on the struts?
Right now, 2 up front and 3 in the rear.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I don't notice any excessive body roll, I think the Illuminas do a great job in the ride and handling department. Last night was the first time I was able to really cruise at high speeds on the highway. The car rides a lot like my 330i now, maybe just a little firmer.
Music to my ears. I've been wondering for the longest time about how an Illumina setup with just the stockies on would feel, but have been reading and subsequently thinking that an Illumina only setup would be overkill (whatever that means) unless paired with something other than the stock springs. As a result, I've been disregarding the stockies all toghether, and killing myself trying to decide which spring to get. (I had it narrowed down to the H&R's and H-Tech's) Welcome back stockies!

Just to be sure, the rears are as is, the fronts 5 spd SE stockies (year specific? 97-99 for my 99) with the Illumina's being the X-factor.

If I may, I want to thank you for the revelation, the money I can now shave off my the bottom line (thus putting me closer to actually doing something with my suspension) and most importantly, putting an end to my agonizing search for the perfect aftermartket spring.

Thank you sir.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
Just to be sure, the rears are as is, the fronts 5 spd SE stockies (year specific? 97-99 for my 99) with the Illumina's being the X-factor.
You got it! I think the front springs I got are from a 98, but it shouldn't matter what year their from.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

no they are from a 96 GXE
Old 10-12-2005, 12:58 PM

I stand corrected by the spring provider.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:03 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

oh yes and all 4th gen springs will do the trick.

hey i bet this works for every generation. heck maybe all nissan, maybe all cars?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:26 PM
VIP Maxima

I've found a new suspension set up that makes the car sit perfectly even. The stock ride height is a little on the high side, especially the front end. The wheel well gaps up front seem huge with a set of 17" rims on. I've always wanted to just lower the front slightly to match the rear, giving the car a clean even stance without sacraficing any ride comfort.

I've been riding on the H&R/Illumina set up for a while now and although the car does ride good on this set up, larger bumps and bad roads toss you around a bit. I want that smooth, luxury, sports car ride back so I started thinking. We've all seen that 5 speed owners who lower their cars don't get the same drop up front as us auto tranny owners. Some call it rear end sag, but in reality it's the front causing the illusion.

I started looking around for different springs and thought that there might be a differance between the stock front springs on 5 speeds, ~vrs~ autos. Sure enough, (credit goes to JSutter) the FSM does spec out a different front spring for 5 speeds. JSutter also had a set of 5 speed springs and sent me pics of the different spings side by side. They are definately different, the 5 speed has one less coil winding on it, but they both stand about the same height.

Friday afternoon I put my car up on the lift and began my suspension overhaul once again. A little over an hour later the car was back down on the ground looking like a 4x4. The front gaps were bigger then the rear and honestly I thought I made a mistake. I went for a ride and discovered how awsome the ride on Illuminas really is. WOW, very smooth, yet nice firm controlled ride. I was extreamly happy wth that! But that gap, OK I'll get used to it.

I got the car aligned Saturday, it was pouring rain really hard all day long. I never really got a chance to look things over. Sunday came and I went out to wash the car. Much to my suprise the front seemed to have settled a bit over the past 2 days. Got out my trusty finger measuring system and discovered I was right. Front and rear gaps are exactly the same, and thats with a full tank of gas too! The car actually looks good even with the 17" rims on it. The best part is the ride, it feels like I just baught a new car once again. I think this might be the last time I ever touch my car's suspension.

dude honestly, i guarantee you that if you just spend some money on some true coilovers like teins or ksports/d2's then you will be able to slam it all the way down and u wont notice a single difference on smooth roads. as for bumpy ones, there is really nothing harsh about it. besides, u will never feel like ur riding a boat after u hit a bump. my ksports fully absorb bumps and potholes. and what u hearing is comin from a max slammed on 19's with 35 profile. i can only imagine what it would be like on 17's

Old 10-12-2005, 01:28 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Good find, njmaxseltd. That'll be a huge +, considering how bad the roads are here in MI. Besides, I'm about to have some suspension work done in the upcoming month or so