4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

possible to change the "locks" in the auto shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 12:04 PM

possible to change the "locks" in the auto shifter?

the locks when youre in reverse and if you just pull the shifter back it goes into drive but stops there. it cant get into 2 without pushing the button.

now what i wanna do is move on of these locking points.

i want it to move freely between D and 2 instead of between N and D.

is this even possible? ive been in second and shifted up to D while on the gas and accidently missed and hit N and rev'ed the engine way higher than i wanted to! im sure that cant be the best thing for the engine.

thanks in advance!

ps: i had an idea for a second simple and probably stupid mod but forgot it before i could post.... when i remember ill post it in here as an edit.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:15 PM
will fly for food

shifting an auto "manually" is

but to answer your question, i don't think you can buy anything to change it, but you can probably rig something up to make it work like that...
Old 10-12-2005, 12:19 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by evil_spork
the locks when youre in reverse and if you just pull the shifter back it goes into drive but stops there. it cant get into 2 without pushing the button.

now what i wanna do is move on of these locking points.

i want it to move freely between D and 2 instead of between N and D.

is this even possible? ive been in second and shifted up to D while on the gas and accidently missed and hit N and rev'ed the engine way higher than i wanted to! im sure that cant be the best thing for the engine.

thanks in advance!

ps: i had an idea for a second simple and probably stupid mod but forgot it before i could post.... when i remember ill post it in here as an edit.
I wish there was another step-up lock from 1 to 2. The Camry that used to be my daily driver (gen 4.5) has a lock from 1 to 2 and 2 to D, so if in 2 you couldn't accidentally downshift to 1st.

I've done that in the max before, driving in 2 in slippery conditions and accidentally knocked it down to 1 (since I rest my hand on the shifter all the time).
Old 10-12-2005, 12:20 PM

whats the goal in shifting it manually like that?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Team Ramrod

To go from "2" to "D" faster
Old 10-12-2005, 12:23 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by aprentice
whats the goal in shifting it manually like that?
Some people just like to feel 'sporty' like they have a 5 speed, others want to hit redline in every gear without having to go WOT, other's like to kill their tranny (perhaps for a 5 speed swap?).

Though the only thing that'll really kill it is downshifting in an auto, upshifting is fine.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:46 PM

i upshift, starting 2 -> od off -> od on. not all the time but when i do its possible to hit neutral while on the gas hard. i know its not a 5spd but i like the feeling of control it gives me, however small it may be.

i never seem to have much of an issue of missing 2 and hitting 1, but going back ive gotten a bit overzealous and just pushed the shifter forward and hit neutral.

i like how when i back up i dont have to think about it, i just slap the shifter back and its in drive. i want that idea but between D and 2.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by pmohr
Though the only thing that'll really kill it is downshifting in an auto, upshifting is fine.
how so? its computer controlled and it will not down shift if the car is going to fast. you cant over rev it.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
how so? its computer controlled and it will not down shift if the car is going to fast. you cant over rev it.
it puts more strain on the tranny to slow the car down than normal driving does.

thats my guess at least
Old 10-12-2005, 01:11 PM

now why the hell would you want that, thats stupid. more ways to screw up your tranny quicker.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
now why the hell would you want that, thats stupid. more ways to screw up your tranny quicker.
bouncing off the rev limiter wont help screw anything up?

cant anybody answer my question?!

has anyone seen inside there and how the locks are done?
Old 10-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Kevlo for President

Take apart the the center colsole and look for yourself.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:12 PM

I guess when you toast your tranny,you'll find the part you're looking for during trans swap.

Upshifting is cool . Missing and ending up in neutral is not. Don't wanna flame, but chances are, if there's a part on your car(especially tranny-related ) , its there for a good reason. Don't **** with it.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by ArcticW
I guess when you toast your tranny,you'll find the part you're looking for during trans swap.

Upshifting is cool . Missing and ending up in neutral is not. Don't wanna flame, but chances are, if there's a part on your car(especially tranny-related ) , its there for a good reason. Don't **** with it.
its not there thats the thing. i want to add the part so i dont miss into neutral.

theres nothing there at the moment.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Back from the dead

alright. i took my console apart today, found exactly what u need to do.
As you can see, when you shift into N and D, the bar gets moved into that higher notched area, so you need to push the button on the shifter to move the bar back down, and slide the selector. if you were to file the edges down, it would require you to use some effort, but would eliminate using the button to shift. or, you could tack weld a plate in the higher notch, and just cut out where you want the points to be. hope this helped!
Old 10-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Offset Is Everything.

im sorry but thats a prety stupid idea. theres a reason why they do that. its so you dont accidentally hit the shifter down to 2nd gear at 80mph. and why are you wasting time shifting an automatic anyways? its called an automatic for a reason. they only put 1 and 2 for steep grades hence the term Low Gear. youre just putting waay too much stress than needed on your tranny shifting between 1, 2 and D in normal driving conditions. if you want that "control," save your money and get a 5spd manual. dont waste time and money trying to do things that its not made for.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:11 PM

its possible to do, i dont know how to do it, but my car does it. my car was stolen from its previous owner once. it came back doing that. they kid probably just forced the shifter down and broke whatever it used to lock it. i am not saying you sould try and do this though.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Back from the dead

well i wasnt saying it was a good idea at all, but there are a few ways to make it work. take out a screw on the shifter and you can just push the whole **** and rod down and go to whatever gear at any time, but thats retarded. just tryin to help the guy out lol
Old 10-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I only downshift my auto between 2-OD/OFF-OD/on. The auto tranny does not downshift even during heavy braking. This is definately only recommended to be done between OD/OFF and OD/ON. Does going to 2 put strain on the tranny? YES! Why do I do it? I want to kill the tranny