4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can your A/C Compressor leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 04:12 PM

Can your A/C Compressor leak?

Hi All,

I have a fluid leaking form the right corner of my car. I'm pretty sure it's not windshield fluid, brake fluid, tranny fluid, engine oil, or powersteering oil. The leak seems to be coming from the A/C compressor, but I'm not sure if there's anything in there to leak? I know there's freon but I wouldn't think that would leak consistently for 3 weeks and the A/C still works fine.

Any ideas? The fluid is clear andnot really oily.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

TJ
Old 10-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yep i had a leak in mine all the freon went byebye. had to replace the compressor. it leak for quit awhile. untill it a/c was just blowing hot. if you can get a rebuilt one for cheaper.. or look on here for someone selling one
Old 10-15-2005, 04:22 PM

condensation off the A/C evaporator?

edit: i know phase change(refrigeration) systems pretty well. a leak in the compressor would not leak any liquid refrigerant. and if it did, it would evaporate VERY quickly. for an example turn a can of compressed air upside down and fire some on a table or something. youll notice that the liquid goes away very fast and leaves a cold spot.

how much fluid is on the ground? reason i ask is an A/C wont have much refrigerant in it at all. at absolute max i would say you could fill a 12oz soda can about 1/4 of the way with it.. if it were possible to keep it a liquid.

in english: its not "freon"(term is no longer used. now it is refered to as something like R134a.) there isnt enough in the system, and it would evaporate immediatly if it were leaked on the ground as liquid.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:33 PM

You won't always see it.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:50 PM

you won't see the "freon" on the ground in liquid form. so what ever you are seeing is not the refrigerant (which you refer to as "freon") from your ac. unfortunately i don't have any suggestions as to what it might be.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:09 PM

yeah i wouldn't think its the refrigerant either because the liquid doesn't evaporate away. every morning for the last few weeks i've seen a small pool of liquid maybe about 3x6 inches.

i guess i gotta jack up my car and figure out where the heck it's coming from.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:27 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by teejnut
The fluid is clear andnot really oily.
As stated in this thread, refrigerent evaporates so you woun't see it leaking per say. The A/C system also has oil in it to lube the compressor. A leak from the A/C system should leave an oily residue, especially at a low point such as the compressor.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:22 AM

the liquid isn't oily. if i take it and rub it between my fingers it'll dry up with a residue left on my finger. i'm not sure if thats understandable.

but how much oil does the a/c system have? and what happens if the oil leaks out completely?
Old 10-16-2005, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by teejnut
the liquid isn't oily. if i take it and rub it between my fingers it'll dry up with a residue left on my finger. i'm not sure if thats understandable.

but how much oil does the a/c system have? and what happens if the oil leaks out completely?
not that much oil.

a very small amount really. a large compressor is smaller than a basketball. the refrigeration system for my computer uses a 1/2 HP compressor. it has 8oz of oil in it. our cars im sure use a much smaller compressor, likely around 1/8th HP, so.... not much oil at all.

knowing what i do about refrigeration, i would say it is NOT an A/C problem. if it was the system would not work at all. the A/C would fire hot air.

it could be window washer fluid, the soapy stuff leaving the residue? my best guess.