4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Failed Emissions test

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 01:16 PM

Failed Emissions test

I have a 95 maxima gle ... took it for testing in illinois and it failed miserably ... 52 CO and 1.9 HC... my check engine light is on .. got it scanned at autozone and it pulled up two codes ... a knock sensor and evaporative emissions control purge valve C failure ... what parts should I buy and install to make sure that my car passes and where should i buy them.. need help from all of you experts ... i did buy the manual as well and have good understanding of working on cars ... please i dont have much time to get it passed
Old 10-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Did you drive around for a while before going in for the test?

What is the maintenance history of the vehicle? When were all the basic maintenance items last worked on?
Old 10-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by sohailnz
I have a 95 maxima gle ... took it for testing in illinois and it failed miserably ... 52 CO and 1.9 HC... my check engine light is on .. got it scanned at autozone and it pulled up two codes ... a knock sensor and evaporative emissions control purge valve C failure ... what parts should I buy and install to make sure that my car passes and where should i buy them.. need help from all of you experts ... i did buy the manual as well and have good understanding of working on cars ... please i dont have much time to get it passed

Buy it from this website, highly recommended...

http://www.jerryromenissan.com/en_US...scPage_5.chtml
Old 10-20-2005, 01:59 PM

yes did drive for a while ... got it mantained from a workshop after it failed emissions two years ago .. since then nothing ... what do i need to do to get it passed ....
Old 10-20-2005, 02:09 PM

How many miles are on the car? What was the mileage on the car when the work was done two years ago and what was done then?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:15 PM

i have over 170,000 miles on my car .. do you think it is worth fixing .. will i be able to get it passed .. or shall i just sell it off
Old 10-20-2005, 02:17 PM

You will be able to get it passed. 170K on a properly maintained VQ engine is nothing in the scheme of things.

However, to get any help from fellow .orgers you must provide information. Refer back to my query and answer it.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:40 PM

The problem in your EVAP system is what caused your failure. I had a bad purge control valve and for some reason I could smell a difference in the exhaust fumes. I took mine to Nissan and they troubleshooted it and fixed it for 150 or so. You could do it yourself but you have to diagnose exactly what part is failing and replace it. That is easier said than done when it comes to the EVAP system.
Your knock sensor didn't have anything to do with your failure though. You don't have to fix that either though you will get some power back if you do. Check the FAQ's at the top of this forum and read about the knock sensor and decide for yourself if you want to fix it.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:44 PM

Fixing the knock sensor is not an option. Of course he needs to replace it or the car won't run properly. However, get the EVAP problem resolved first, then reset the ECU and see if the KS code goes away.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Bobo
Fixing the knock sensor is not an option. Of course he needs to replace it or the car won't run properly. However, get the EVAP problem resolved first, then reset the ECU and see if the KS code goes away.
I think the point was that the KS will not affect the emissions in an adverse way. The root cause of his emissions failure was the problem in his EVAP system. Once he addresses that problem, this car should be able to pass emissions even with a bad knock sensor. Here in Illinios, for cars 1995 and older, they don't care if there are any codes stored in the ECU or if the CEL is on - they only go by the measured emission results. Conversely, for 96 and newer vehicles, even if you would technically pass the measured emissions test, they never do that test, they only go by the CEL and any stored codes.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:09 PM

I see. Obviously, passing emissions is his primary concern. However, once that is done I still think he should replace the KS and do whatever else is required to get the vehicle up to snuff.

At this point, we have no idea when the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, oil and filter etc. were last replaced.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:27 PM
il massimi bassi

Originally Posted by KCMaxima98
The problem in your EVAP system is what caused your failure. I had a bad purge control valve and for some reason I could smell a difference in the exhaust fumes. I took mine to Nissan and they troubleshooted it and fixed it for 150 or so. You could do it yourself but you have to diagnose exactly what part is failing and replace it. That is easier said than done when it comes to the EVAP system.
Your knock sensor didn't have anything to do with your failure though. You don't have to fix that either though you will get some power back if you do. Check the FAQ's at the top of this forum and read about the knock sensor and decide for yourself if you want to fix it.

your never ever pass with any EVAP issues no matter what kind of shape your motor is in
Old 10-20-2005, 03:32 PM

So did you get it fixed and pass or what? Where in Illinois are you? I'm getting ready to take my emissions test soon as well, I just got my catalytic converter in the mail so that should help a little
Old 10-20-2005, 08:15 PM

thanks!!! for the over whelming response ... i highly appreciate the forum ... to answer your questions .. i changed my air filter 40,000 miles ago, change my spark plugs 80,000 miles ago, changed the fuel filter 100,000 miles ago, changed oil and oil filter 10 miles ago, never changed pcv, o2 or any other sensors ... so i think i need to change all of them and the purge valve (do i really have to go to the dealer to get that EVAP purge valve code diagnosed? i always admire the durability and reliability of the VQ engine which is evident from my lack of maintenance ... only until it goes to emmission ... so are u guys confident that once i change everything it will pass for sure ... i have the haynes manual handy ... so i will start with changing the basic tuneup items and then move the more technical EVAP ... i can do everything except this EVAP thing ... any input on it will be appreciated ...
Old 10-20-2005, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by jwmaxse
I'm getting ready to take my emissions test soon as well
me too, this weekend most likely
Old 10-21-2005, 02:39 AM
il massimi bassi

can you post a picture of your engine bay? i thought pRE 1996 has no EVAP system??...i can circle your purge control valve if you post it (if you have one)
Old 10-21-2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 96ItaliaSE
your never ever pass with any EVAP issues no matter what kind of shape your motor is in
I've had 0907 evap for two years now and passed emissions just fine in MA (they are freakin' ****** about emissions too.)
Old 10-21-2005, 10:52 AM

the codes that i have are 0304 (P0325) & 0807 (P0443)... i will post a pic tonite .. i hope it passes cos already i need to buy a new car for my wife its her first year here in the midwest snowy weather .. thinking abt getting the montero sport ... anybody knows if that if reliable..
Old 10-21-2005, 11:05 AM

the codes that i have are 0304 (P0325) & 0807 (P0443)... i will post a pic tonite .. i hope it passes cos already i need to buy a new car for my wife its her first year here in the midwest snowy weather .. thinking abt getting the montero sport ... anybody knows if that if reliable..
I would spend a little extra and get a 4-Runner. Those things are bulletproof.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:19 AM
il massimi bassi

Originally Posted by tomservo291
I've had 0907 evap for two years now and passed emissions just fine in MA (they are freakin' ****** about emissions too.)
either you were tested for a non emissions year...(this year is even for emissions and they wont hook up to cars ecu for odd years) or that made a terrible mistake. I had 0907 and once they plugged thier machine into my cars computer its a automatic fail. I think its great you got a sticker with the 0907 but im sure they will get you.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:19 AM

I doubt that your car would have passed emissions testing, despite the EVAP problem, given the lack of maintenance you have done on this car. It's amazing it even runs! Change the air filter, PCV valve and fuel filter immediately, followed by the spark plugs ASAP. Do you know what spark plugs you are supposed to use? This is a test!

thanks!!! for the over whelming response ... i highly appreciate the forum ... to answer your questions .. i changed my air filter 40,000 miles ago, change my spark plugs 80,000 miles ago, changed the fuel filter 100,000 miles ago, changed oil and oil filter 10 miles ago, never changed pcv, o2 or any other sensors ... so i think i need to change all of them and the purge valve (do i really have to go to the dealer to get that EVAP purge valve code diagnosed? i always admire the durability and reliability of the VQ engine which is evident from my lack of maintenance ... only until it goes to emmission ... so are u guys confident that once i change everything it will pass for sure ... i have the haynes manual handy ... so i will start with changing the basic tuneup items and then move the more technical EVAP ... i can do everything except this EVAP thing ... any input on it will be appreciated ...
Old 10-24-2005, 09:35 AM

platinum plugs right? i have been getting multiple suggestions ... since i have till feb to get it repaired ,,, some people have asked me to donate the car in december ... i noticed the shocks are almost gone too, the cv boots are torn, brake callipers keep on wearing out one by one and the tires wear out pretty quick. also it has become a gas guzzler ...

does it justify to fix all this and all the emmission related maintenance items !!! the car may be worth only like $2,000 since it has around 175,000 miles .. how much would all the emmission and suspension/brake related problem cost to fix???
Old 10-24-2005, 09:49 AM

Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
if you can't do any of the work yourself, it will probably cost you $2000 to get all that squared away.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Maxima lover

Did you ever get your 0807 code problem fixed? I was on my way to get an emissions test done and I threw this code, literally about 1 mile away for the testing center. I got the code and not knowing what it was I just cleared it because I didn't want to fail because of the code. Well they said that they couldn't test it because the ECU wouldn't give them a reading. They said it was either due to a low battery or work being done, mechanic clearing the code, and not having enough drive cycles. Of course it was because I cleared the code though without fixing the problem. I got home and checked the code and find out it is emissions related.

Does anyone know how long will it take for the ECU to start being able to show correct emissions after the CEL has been cleared?

The directions Kevlo give to check the valve say there are only 2 wires, but mine has about 6.

So now I am driving around without any music (Bose POS broke) and polluting the environment. Thanks Nissan.