4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can't fill up Tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 12:31 PM

Can't fill up Tank

My cuz has a 96 4th gen he just bought. Dude can't fill his tank a quarter of the way before gas starts spitt'n all over the place. We've driven it to d@m near empty prior to this to make sure his fuel gauge was reading correctly and it seems to be ok. Any ideas on what this might be?

Capitone
Old 10-26-2005, 01:39 PM
VK56 Inside

Remove the 2 kilos of yeyo from the tank.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

Maybe he should take it back from where he bought it from
Old 10-26-2005, 02:11 PM

Hey my bro had the same problem heres what happens.... sometimes what happes is that a air pocket gets created in the fuel tank (inside the tube)... what you need to do is release that pressure... so get urself a 3 foot clear rubber hose and insert it SLOWLY into the fuel tank that should take take all the air out of the system...
Old 10-26-2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dubbya
I saw that one coming, but….the thought did cross my mind.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Maybe he should take it back from where he bought it from
First thing I thought of, but he bought it “as is” in NY. Ain’t no telling what that means for him, but until he getz back I thought I’d at least see if the org had any ideas.

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
Hey my bro had the same problem heres what happens.... sometimes what happes is that a air pocket gets created in the fuel tank (inside the tube)... what you need to do is release that pressure... so get urself a 3 foot clear rubber hose and insert it SLOWLY into the fuel tank that should take take all the air out of the system...
Now were talking. Im gonna give this one a try. Now where to find rubber hose....hmmmm I'll find it!

Thank you all for the input!

Capitone out
Old 10-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Yer problem is yer vent control valve.. it is the valve bolted to yer charcoal cannister, located by the drivers side rear wheel.. these things fail, it causes the vent system to clog, causing the car not to accept fuel. The part # is either 14956-54u04 or 14956-54u06, depending on yer VIN.. they are around $50 at the dealer..
DJ
Old 10-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by DJ42o96maX
Yer problem is yer vent control valve.. it is the valve bolted to yer charcoal cannister, located by the drivers side rear wheel.. these things fail, it causes the vent system to clog, causing the car not to accept fuel. The part # is either 14956-54u04 or 14956-54u06, depending on yer VIN.. they are around $50 at the dealer..
DJ
Umm.... How is the vent control valve going to prevent filling the tank... I'd love to know... the fuel tank and vapor control system are connected, but the valve is not inline between the fuel inlet and the tank - i.e. I can't see how a bad vent control valve would prevent fuel from filling the tank.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Back from the dead

well if theres higher pressure in the tank than outside, it just wont go in. physics.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by RockfordMax
well if theres higher pressure in the tank than outside, it just wont go in. physics.
Once I take the gas cap off, how is there any pressure left in the tank?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

Old 10-26-2005, 06:45 PM

dude stop asking questions and take the advice people are giving...
Old 10-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Do I get a tax break?

dude stop asking questions and take the advice people are giving...
Who are you talking to? I'm not even the original poster. I'm just having fun pointing out the "quality" responses
Old 10-26-2005, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Who are you talking to? I'm not even the original poster. I'm just having fun pointing out the "quality" responses
oh crap sorry.. i was posting at work with like 3 separate windows open... wrong thread...
Old 10-27-2005, 12:24 PM

oh crap sorry.. i was posting at work with like 3 separate windows open... wrong thread...
Wrong thread or not, I don't think thats the type of advise people need. This is a internet forum made for questions, it only makes sense that members do just that. I for one take every piece of advise with a grain of salt. Good intentions don't always make the info received correct.

That said, I am always open to and appreciate genuine suggestions made by fellow orgers, such is the case with DJ42o96maX 's suggestion. Seems like a sound enough suggestion, and couldn't hurt to look into. Thanks!!

Still, njmodi does raise a good point.

I’ll look into this, but first I’ll see if f550maranello2’s idea works. Just seems like a simpler approach.

Thanks again guys, appreciate the input!

Capitone OUT!!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:08 PM

Possible that there is a dent in the tank that your cuz might of over looked?
Old 10-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Back from the dead

wow people are ****s. they ASK you for advice, and as soon as you give them some that doesnt sound obvious like what they probably have tried already, you get flamed. love this place
Old 10-27-2005, 02:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

wow people are ****s. they ASK you for advice, and as soon as you give them some that doesnt sound obvious like what they probably have tried already, you get flamed. love this place
Me too ...
Old 10-27-2005, 02:14 PM
VK56 Inside

Its like one big family....a tad disfunctional....but still I call it home.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Once I take the gas cap off, how is there any pressure left in the tank?
I had a fuel filter replaced at a Lubeworld about 10 days ago at an opening special price. The technician refused to remove the fuel pump fuse and just removed the gas cap. He said that would remove the pressure and it seemed to work just fine for that purpose.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:45 AM

.....you turd. Read BEFORE you plop your shiddy a$$ in my threads. Asking relevant questions ain't flam'n. Blindly accepting internet based information as gospel is naive. If your that type, I feel sorry for your car.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:17 PM

I had the same problem after I had a car accident. The mechanics put in a wrong size vent control valve and I could only fill up 3/4 way. They eventually replace it and it is now fine. Follow DJ42o96maX's advise and give it a try.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by tauLiFE45
I had the same problem after I had a car accident. The mechanics put in a wrong size vent control valve and I could only fill up 3/4 way. They eventually replace it and it is now fine. Follow DJ42o96maX's advise and give it a try.
I would love to believe this is the problem - I would be surprised if it works, but sure hope it does for the OP's sake.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Back from the dead

Originally Posted by Capitone
.....you turd.

Once again, people are quick to insult someone on the internet. Does that really make you feel good inside? Slow down, count to 10. Alright, now did I give any truly invalid advice? Having pressure in the tank for whatever reason it would be there would prevent gas from going in. I dont recall saying that was the ONLY option, nor did I say it was the correct option, but the fact remains that its plausible. Resorting to personal attacks on a forum is wholly inappropriate, and if I offended anybody with my post earlier, I apologize, i was just voicing some SARCASM! Sarcasm is a well known element of humor; which some people here need to become acquainted with. On that note, I hope your gas tank troubles get cleared up.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Nobody has even come close to giving this guy the right information. How do we know how much gas is actually in the tank? The fuel sending unit might be faulty or the gauge in the car might be bad. Air pockets don't get trapped in your fuel tank and the tank doesn't just start bubbling over at 1/4 tank. Please.... Think people....

You have to determine how much fuel the car really has and then figure out if the gauge is regestering correctly. To do this you have to access the gas tank. Lift out the back seat and you'll find an access pannel. Take that off and you'll see the top of your fuel tank with another access pannel. Take that off, and look in your gas tank to see what's really going on. I bet when your gauge says it's empty you'll see there is plenty of fuel left in the tank. Once you determine that, you'll have to troubleshoot the fuel system sending unit and the gauge to figure out which one is not working correctly.

My vote goes to the sending unit.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:47 PM

Maybe your car saw a gas station that had cheaper gas than the one you usually fill up from and he is refusing to accept the fuel at that price?
Old 10-29-2005, 07:59 AM

Once again, people are quick to insult someone on the internet. Does that really make you feel good inside? Slow down, count to 10. Alright, now did I give any truly invalid advice? Having pressure in the tank for whatever reason it would be there would prevent gas from going in. I dont recall saying that was the ONLY option, nor did I say it was the correct option, but the fact remains that its plausible. Resorting to personal attacks on a forum is wholly inappropriate, and if I offended anybody with my post earlier, I apologize, i was just voicing some SARCASM! Sarcasm is a well known element of humor; which some people here need to become acquainted with. On that note, I hope your gas tank troubles get cleared up.
it's saturday morning and Im still toasted from Friday night Now Im bored so lets take a stab at this RockfordMax. If your age is correct, I can understand why you probably still don't "get it". I've been here for bit, which don't make an Org GOD, but let me put you on to a few things.

No one said that ANYONE gave invalid advise (READ). In fact YOU were fine up until the point YOU started call’n people ****s. Sarcasm? Maybe for you. If you read the thread, you’d know that,

1. I appreciate ALL “earnest” efforts towards helpful information.

2. I gave f550maranello2 his props for his suggestion. (which by the way didn’t work buddy, but thanks anyway it was worth a try)

3. Just because I voiced MY opinion in regards to f550maranello2’s comment to “Stop asking questions and take the advise given” DOESN’T mean I don’t appreciate his original contribution. I think even he got that. His comment wasn't even for this thread, but that dosen't mean I can't voice my "opinion". After all....it is MY thread right? Also, please take note that never once did I call him a name. Perhaps a grimacing smiley but hey…..I like my smileys

Plain and simp bubba, just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean there throw’n your efforts back in your face. If you have the option you should check some of my previous posts out. I don’t call nobody nothing unless they start 1st. Even then I typically don’t bother, but …..when I’ve got a little bit of time on my hands, I gotta admit, these ONLINE spats can be quite entertaining. Ultimately, this environment is purely electronic and that really makes READING important. Taking anything on here personal is a waste of time. IMO though, if you don’t remember anything else, rember this:

This is a INTERNET FORUM. Without questions…..this place would be boring.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:52 AM

I too have trouble filling my gas tank but I think mine is a little diff. from Capitone's.

Whenever I fill my tank, I can only manage to pump ~15-16 gals. into the tank before it stops taking anymore. Now I know my car's tank holds 18.5 gals, so why I've never been able to go past 16 in the 2+ yrs. I've owned it is a mystery to me.

I ALWAYS drive til the gas light's been on for about a day to make sure it's close to empty & I ALWAYS write down how many gals. of gas I pump on my gas receipt. Still, everytime I fill up, I NEVER seem to be able to pump more than 16 or so gals. b4 the pump trigger starts clicking & eventually stops.

Any ideas?
Old 10-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Back from the dead

i completely agree with you, and i "get it", i just had a HORRIBLE week and was mad, and took something the wrong way. once again i was just throwing a random idea out there, someone said something, and i took it as a flame. my bad. my dog just ate a stick of margarine. Awesome now i cant make my mac and cheese
Old 10-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by MaxesRule
Whenever I fill my tank, I can only manage to pump ~15-16 gals. into the tank before it stops taking anymore. Now I know my car's tank holds 18.5 gals, so why I've never been able to go past 16 in the 2+ yrs. I've owned it is a mystery to me.
There is at least 1 or 2 gallons of gas in the baffles at the bottom of your tank. Probably below the sender and quite possibly the fuel pump pickup screen.

Why don't you just drive the car until you run completely out of gas, then tow it to a gas station and see how many gallons you can put into it.

I just don't get the idea of running your tank to "empty" before you fill up.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Back from the dead

Just run it to ~1/4 tank, then fill up. you wont be using ANY more gas than you would if you ran it to empty, and our tanks were designed that way, nobody has been successful in filling it with 18 gallons, most get to 16.5ish before it sprays back at them.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Just run it to ~1/4 tank, then fill up. you wont be using ANY more gas than you would if you ran it to empty, and our tanks were designed that way, nobody has been successful in filling it with 18 gallons, most get to 16.5ish before it sprays back at them.
I have to call B.S. on this one. I've put 18 gal. in my 2k maxima and put up to 17.5gal in my 97 max.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:58 AM
sunten1

Originally Posted by Dubbya

LOL!!!

Old 11-03-2005, 01:13 PM

lmao
Old 11-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Back from the dead

Yeah i call BS on myself too, put 17.6 in it yesterday. Lemme rephrase it, MOST of the time you wont be able to get 18 gallons in.