4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Clutch Bleeding

Alright I bled my buddies clutch today from school, following these directions http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/803 and Im not to sure I did it right.

I had his inside and as he pushed the clutch in, I opened up the bleeder starting with the lower bleeder..once he got to the flloor, I snugged it up... It sounds like those directions say to jsut keep continuously pumping it ?? will air get into the system from the bleeder if this is done ??? Do i need to have him keep pumping it tilL I see new fluid ??

TIP:
I found that I had to open and close the bleeders very fast to get out all of the trapped air. By bleeding the clutch this way, the brake fluid will have a higher velocity, and it should "carry" more of the suspended air out of the system

-matt
Old 10-29-2005, 08:57 PM

he should be able to feel the pedal. just have him hold it to the floor while you open the bleeder for a sec then close then have him slowly bring the pedal back up. Just keep on doing it until the pedal feels good again and comes back up by itself just like before hand. When doing the upper you can only bleed like 3-4 times before having to refill the master REMEMBER THAT or you WILL get air back and have to start over. Just monitor the levels after each bleed and you should be fine. The lower really doesnt take alot of fluid away from the master or at least not as much as the upper. As long as you switch off every once and a while and you dont see any bubbles in the line(hope your using a vinyl tube or somthing) on either bleeders, fill the master to MAX and pump the pedal a few times then turn it on and test it out. If it engages RIGHT off the floor you have to continue bleeding if it feels normal again then job well done and pat yourself on the back. Hope that helps you, ive taken like 8 clutch lines off in the past month so i kinda know bleeding all to well.

-Ryan
Old 10-29-2005, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by joosdawg
he should be able to feel the pedal. just have him hold it to the floor while you open the bleeder for a sec then close then have him slowly bring the pedal back up. Just keep on doing it until the pedal feels good again and comes back up by itself just like before hand. When doing the upper you can only bleed like 3-4 times before having to refill the master REMEMBER THAT or you WILL get air back and have to start over. Just monitor the levels after each bleed and you should be fine. The lower really doesnt take alot of fluid away from the master or at least not as much as the upper. As long as you switch off every once and a while and you dont see any bubbles in the line(hope your using a vinyl tube or somthing) on either bleeders, fill the master to MAX and pump the pedal a few times then turn it on and test it out. If it engages RIGHT off the floor you have to continue bleeding if it feels normal again then job well done and pat yourself on the back. Hope that helps you, ive taken like 8 clutch lines off in the past month so i kinda know bleeding all to well.

-Ryan
I am using a Clear tube to see any type of bubbles...while hes putting the clutch to the floor I should have the bleeder open, forcing fluid out, then right when he hits the floor, tighten the bleeder up....then as the cltuch pedal is on its way up, the bleeder should be TIGHT. ? once he gets it to the top, then repeat the process again...(as he brings to the bottom, loosen it, then right when he hits the floor, tighten it back up?)

-matt
Old 10-29-2005, 09:09 PM

no what i always do it this: Have him push it to the floor with you having the bleeder completly closed. Once its all the way to the floor then open the bleeder for a second sense hes making pressure on the fluid by pushing the pedal down it wil squirt out and you will see the bubbles. After you close it tell him to lift it up by hand slow. Then repeat by keeping the bleeder always closed until the clutch is all the way to the floor and make sure he holds it like that when you bleed then again back up by hand. Eventually you should also see the slave pushing the clutch fork over further and further the closer you are to being done. But as long as you do it this way and have no leaks in the line at all youll be good to go just make sure you get all that air out.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:13 PM

And again i cant stress enough make sure to WATCH the fluid level after each bleed as it does happen pretty easy to get the level down to far and suck air right back in there and youll be starting all over. Ive also noticed that it takes consierably longer to bleed the stock rubber lines vs the SS line. It usually takes me around 25-30min of continuis bleeding to get all the air out on a good day. Others has taken up to an hour, its just a very ***ius thing but if done right youll be in good shape and shouldnt have any more probs unless hes stupid and lets his master go dry again
Old 10-29-2005, 09:16 PM

OHHH okk...I was, in a sense, bleeding the clutch like the brakes are done...and thats not really the right way to do it...I will give him a ring tomorrow and do it again

You only really have to open the bleeder for a second, then close it right back up ??

The way I was doing it, as he pushed the fluid out, I saw alot of air bubbles inside the fluid...I guess ill try your way tomorrow

-matt
Old 10-29-2005, 09:20 PM

yea i just open mine for maybe a second or so if that just flick wrench open watch a little fluid come out then close, you dont want to do it too long or it looses the pressure and you can suck air back in there. Ive had my wrench slip off a few times but closed it quick by hand lol. if youve already done some bleeding shouldnt be more than like a 20 min job. goodluck