4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rip-off or Reality?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 08:03 AM
kik
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rip-off or Reality?

I got a set of shocks / springs and i'm eager to get them installed of course. I called this "Performance and suspension" shop and they couldn't give me a labor estimate on how much the springs would cost to install over the phone. What they did say is "Yeah, we're gonna need to do a pre-inspection for 29.95 and a realignment for 69.95." Then he starts to say that the camber will change, so we'll require some parts there. Oh and "I'm not sure about that model, but i'm pretty sure we'll need to put a boot on the rear set."

I understand that all these steps may be necessary especially so the shop isn't to blame if something goes wrong, however I get the feeling they're trying to get as much as they can out of me. I'm estimating 350+ for the complete job. Sounds kind of ridiculous to me. I hate getting ripped off. What do you think?

Anyone from the .Org run a shop in Houston or Austin?
Old 11-18-2005, 08:07 AM
Do I get a tax break?

I wouldn't pay more than 200 bucks for installation AND an alignment (labor only).
Old 11-18-2005, 08:18 AM
I Broke OT

do it yourself. i read all the writeups and talked to some people and it sounded pretty doable. they really do just bolt right up. nothing to it. the only part that held me back was the awful rust on the rear lower bolts. i ended up having to dremel those and just replace them with some shiny new ones. i was fine with that. but you should really do it yourself. you'll learn a whole lot about your suspension if you don't already know much and you will save $$$. plus, it's such a feeling of accomplishment.

just read the how-tos and stickies and if you have specific questions, just ask someone.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:46 AM
SLOW

If they've never done a maxima before I can see how they would need to inspect things to know what they are getting into, but inspecting things takes about 20 seconds and is definately not worth $30. I say look elsewhere this shop sounds too expensive (if you refuse to do it yourself that is.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:57 AM

what did you get anyway?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:03 AM
I Broke OT

Edit to my previous post: you could probably find some local org. member who can give you a hand with the instal, or maybe do it for you in return for a case of beer and some Chipotle? hehe, either way, i think you should do it yourself.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:14 AM

shocks and and springs is pretty standard work if they are wanting to inspect your car because they are unsure of the model then they are inexperenced but with all the 4th gen maximas out there wats the likly hood that they havent atleast changed the shocks on one. find another shop. better yet find a shot that will do the alignment on a lowered car with no other hidden fees. Then do the job urself save you alot of money. maybe you will get lucky and find a shop like i found they dont care how low the car is as long it will go on theyre rack it 60 bucks for a 4 wheel alignment
Old 11-18-2005, 12:05 PM
kik

I'm feelin the do it yourself thing i'll set aside a weekend and do it myself. I'll just have the alignment done at the shop.

Does anyone know if i'll need a camber kit?

I've got tokico illumina struts with progress springs.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:18 PM

If your drop is any lower than two inches then start looking into a camber kit.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Xmax
If your drop is any lower than two inches then start looking into a camber kit.
Yup, don't forget that. Makes me sick seeing all the back to the future deloreans driving around.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:03 PM
kik

The drop is 1.75" so I guess i'm in the clear. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:14 PM

I just installed a used set of springs and struts on my car the other day and it's very straightforward, no suprises other than maybe rusty bolts. I figure that doing the brakes and strut install myself I saved anywhere from $200-300 and that was enough for me to go out and buy a decent compressor and impact wrench to do the job.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:20 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

do it yourself, it's easy as pie
Old 11-18-2005, 07:05 PM
kik

My brother has a compressor, so ill just buy a wrench and give it to him for x-mas after i've used it ;-)

Two more questions:

1.) Are the springs "dangerous" to install without a spring compressor? I haven't taken then time to study what i'll need to do exactly, but this is a concern of mine.

2.) Another of my concerns is getting the car off the ground. I know it's not safe to do this kind of work on the emergency tire jack. So maybe I could buy a set of those stands (not sure what they're called). Any recommendations?

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by kik
My brother has a compressor, so ill just buy a wrench and give it to him for x-mas after i've used it ;-)

Two more questions:

1.) Are the springs "dangerous" to install without a spring compressor? I haven't taken then time to study what i'll need to do exactly, but this is a concern of mine.

2.) Another of my concerns is getting the car off the ground. I know it's not safe to do this kind of work on the emergency tire jack. So maybe I could buy a set of those stands (not sure what they're called). Any recommendations?

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.
If I'm not mistaken you cannot uninstall and re-install the springs without a spring compressor.

The stands you'll need are called jack stands. You can usually buy a pair of them for about 30 bucks at Auto Zone.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's hard to take the stock springs off without a spring compressor. The springs are under pressure and it is dangerous to try and take them off without the proper tools.
The lowered springs are shorter and easy to put on without the compressor's help. Air tools help a great deal. Buy or borrow some jackstands. You are saving a lot of $$$ by doing it yourself so invest in a pair of stands. Good Luck!!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:05 PM

Camber may change. If it does they wont be able to do anything. Camber isn't "adjustable" on our cars. The only way to change camber is by grinding the holes of the struts so they're larger or using a camber kit. Both of which I doubt the alignment shop will do.

Go to autozone. Rent some spring compressors. Do it yourself. I didnt even need to compress the lowered springs (eibach). They slid on. I pushed a little and tightened the nut. Wasn't a problem.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:22 PM
SLOW

I never bothered with a spring compressor. The stock springs are not under much pressure at all in the stock MacPherson strut setup. Just don't point them at your face when you are taking the strut assembly apart. The top strut mount may spring off a few feet but it's not going to fire off like a rocket and rip your arm or head off. If you were to point it straight up and undo the strut mount bolts it probably wouldn't even shoot it more than 3 feet in the air. If you're paranoid though the first time you do it which is understandable, you can borrow a spring compressor from AutoZone or any other similar auto parts store for free.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:12 PM
I Broke OT

might as well just get spring compressors from Autozone for a refundable deposit. any job is much easier when you have the right tools.

jack stands are much safer and a worthwhile investment also and possibly a pneumatic jack also if you plan to do more work to the car in the future.

you may want to get a camber kit just in case. they aren't too expensive. some cars can use the same springs and only some will need a camber kit and others won't. it's weird.