4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Coolant Leak - Water Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 11:29 AM

Coolant Leak - Water Pump?

My '95 SE is leaking coolant. It only does so when it is completely cooled-off, and hasn't been moved for a day or so. The drip seems to be coming down the front of the block, and dripping down over the front of the lower oil pan.

My first thought was the waterpump, since the car has 143k.

My mechanic (a supposed Japanese car expert...) pressure tested the system, found no leaks, and could see no signs of leakage or stains from dripping coolant.

He also insisted that the car does NOT have a weep hole on the water pump. The Haynes manual states that there is a weep hole between the timing cover and the block. Who's right?

With upcoming holiday travel, I don't want the thing to fail completely in the middle of nowhere. Any ideas?
Old 11-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like your water pump. Go to another mechanic that knows more about your car. When my water pump was going the coolant was coming from the timing chain cover area and runnind down.

I called many shops around town when I wanted to get mine installed. After many calls I finally went to the second dealer I had spoken to. One guy kept telling me I had a timing belt and not a chain, scratched him off the list right away.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:44 PM
I support for what?

Sorry to jack but I got coolant running down my alternator it dried green but I had a spot on my driveway. Is this signs of the waterpump going?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:26 AM

My car had the same problem, and my normal mechanic thought it could be coolant leaking from the engine block (cylinder head). I bought the Haynes manual and then told him about what it said (having the weep holes), and he suggested taking it to the Nissan Dealer. I don't think many general mechanics are equipped to do waterpump changes on a Maxima b/c you have to have a special tool to hold back the timing chain tensioner.

The Nissan dealer charged $595 for the waterpump job, and I asked him to replace the collant hoses while he was at it. The total for the job was $663, plus tax.

For some reason, the dealer put too much coolant in the system when the job was done; it was 1 inch over the fill line. I didn't want there to be a problem so I bought a siphon and put it exactly at the fill line.

It's been running great since the service.

Next up is exhaust system replacement... when it falls off or rusts, whichever comes first.

Originally Posted by jguillory
My '95 SE is leaking coolant. It only does so when it is completely cooled-off, and hasn't been moved for a day or so. The drip seems to be coming down the front of the block, and dripping down over the front of the lower oil pan.

My first thought was the waterpump, since the car has 143k.

My mechanic (a supposed Japanese car expert...) pressure tested the system, found no leaks, and could see no signs of leakage or stains from dripping coolant.

He also insisted that the car does NOT have a weep hole on the water pump. The Haynes manual states that there is a weep hole between the timing cover and the block. Who's right?

With upcoming holiday travel, I don't want the thing to fail completely in the middle of nowhere. Any ideas?
Old 11-20-2005, 11:29 AM

$595 at the Stealership doesn't sound all that bad for a W/P replacement, considering I was expecting around $500 parts/labor at an independent mechanic.

I'm tempted to just go ahead to the dealership, with the hope they'll get it right the first time, instead of risking it with someone who may not have done it before...

What's the best price anyone has had this done for?
Old 11-20-2005, 12:00 PM

It really not all that bad to do it yourself. Theres a really good write up I used to have in my Favorites but it got erased... I actually just got done doing mine a couple weeks ago. Buy the water pump for $90, a case of beer $15, and an afternoon. If I had to do it again, I would, becasue it really isnt all that bad and to save yourself $400 is a huge plus

-matt
Old 11-20-2005, 12:23 PM

Sounds like your water pump i had to same problem it would leak on the left side near the timing belt cover, the weep hole between the timin chain cover and the block sounds more right cause thas where mines would leak from.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

A ton of us 95/96'ers have had this happen and did the water pump change ourselves. Read up on it and decide if it's doable for you before you fork over $600(!). It is not easy but very doable.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:33 PM

Same problem I am having...looks like I will have to go spend that 15 dollars on that case of beer and the whole afternoon.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:01 AM
96MajBlueMax

someone please fill me in on the details involved with replacing the W/p. I just bought a new one from ALLEURASIANAUTOPARTS.COM for $75 including shipping. I'm almost certain that my W/P is done because I already changed the radiator & thermostat and STILL have the leak that you guys mentioned above (right in between the weep hole and cover on the bottom of the car on the passenger side front) If anyone has any tips or shortcuts on the best way to get this done w/out damaging my car even more please share your expertise!

Old 11-21-2005, 09:10 AM
96MajBlueMax

Also does anyone know exactly which parts have to be removed to get full access to the W/P, and are there any special tools required?

Old 11-21-2005, 11:39 PM

My two cents: This is not an easy project. I bought my 95 Maxima (with 23k miles) in 1997 and it now has close to 180k miles. I've only taken it to a shop 1 time and that was to have the water pump replaced, all other repairs and maintenance I've done myself. That being said I've had more experience since then and would probably try myself now. Also any competent shop should have no trouble changing the water pump there are no special tools needed. I had mine done a couple of years ago at a local import shop for approx $450.

Here's a thread with a write-up. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=308680