4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Passenger axle is STUCK...need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 03:12 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Passenger axle is STUCK...need help!

Spent about 2 hours (not counting the rest of the disassembly time) just trying to get the passenger axle out of the carrier bearing and it is just STUCK man. Soaked it in PB, tried to hammer screwdrivers of all sizes in to separate it, tried to pry it, had my feet up in the wheel well YANKING the crap out of it and I just can't get it apart.

I know people have said to remove the mount from the block but I just don't see any possible way of getting a wrench in there. I can *probably* get the two bolts that are on the side of the mount closest to the passenger side of the car, but the one on the other side...man I just don't see any way I'm going to be able to get at it.

I even popped the drivers side off to see if I could use the "pound on the end of the axle" trick in reverse, but I think that will only work for taking the drivers side off (which of course is ridiculously easy) because there's something in the way.

I'll try a chisel tommorrow instead of screwdrivers but I am a little concerned that I don't totally destroy this thing in case I fail and have to bring it somewhere.

Anyone have any ideas? What type of wrenches have you guys been able to use to get the mount off? Any tips for how to get at the inboard bolt? Any ideas how I might get it apart without taking the mount off? I have a propane torch....you think that might help? ANY and all other ideas are welcome.

Hella discouraged here...never gotten stuck with a project this badly before...I'm not THAT mechanically incompetant but all the salt on the roads up here just has that thing rusted together solid.

Thanks in advnace.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You have to remove the entire bracket. It can be done. You just need to experiment with different length extensions to see what will work.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:20 PM

Ohh man i just went through it, heres what u need and yes it iwll take forever, soak it in PB again and again, then use paint scrapers, yes paint scrapers Like one of these,actually get a bunch use that to get a small space open a little, then your gonna need a bunch of screwdrivers, your gonna break a few and then need to be all different sizes, use the small ones then the bigger ones, eventaullly when you can fit your biggest one in pretty well get a good old crow bar and go to town on it, i spent a long time on it, but it gets progressively easier as u go along.

good luck and PM me if u need anything more.

KCryan
Old 11-19-2005, 04:49 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Thanks dudes. Well, I went out in the dark (already put the halogens away for the day) and the freezing cold and gave the mount ONE MORE shot...

SUCCESS.

The key turned out to be using the most enormous tools I have...huge breaker bar, longest 1/2" extension I own. I managed to get the extension on the bolts (had done that earlier) and then the breaker bar was all the way past the steering and could rest against the car so it wouldn't pop off the bolt when I cranked on it. Just barely was able to break the bolts loose with the long breaker bar.

I brought it inside and man did I have to wail on it with the chisel to get it apart. No way was it coming apart on the car. Being able to get at it from all sides was the key...
Old 11-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Maxima Owner

rent a slide hammer from a parts store
Old 11-19-2005, 04:51 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by kcryan
Ohh man i just went through it, heres what u need and yes it iwll take forever, soak it in PB again and again, then use paint scrapers, yes paint scrapers Like one of these,actually get a bunch use that to get a small space open a little, then your gonna need a bunch of screwdrivers, your gonna break a few and then need to be all different sizes, use the small ones then the bigger ones, eventaullly when you can fit your biggest one in pretty well get a good old crow bar and go to town on it, i spent a long time on it, but it gets progressively easier as u go along.

good luck and PM me if u need anything more.

KCryan

Thanks!

This is good advice though. I think the paint scraper would probably work in most cases. I'm not sure if it would have done it here because it really took a beating with the chisel before it would budge. In fact it wouldn't even budge on one side until I hit it a few times on the opposite side. But if it was any less corroded than it was no doubt the paint scraper would have made a crack you could wedge the screw drivers in to.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:53 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
rent a slide hammer from a parts store
I rented one from Autozone when I did the drivers side and there was no way of attaching it to the axle. Even in the picture there were no jaws on it like the ones on motorvate.

This is definitely on the "must purchase" list though. I think if I had one with jaws it might have done it.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:55 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Just some final advice for the recrod: I had to remove the oil filter to get the axle + mount out and away from the car...no way could I get it by without removing it.

My only other question is whether or not I should attach the mount before I put the axle back in the car. I am overwhelmingly thinking NO, just put the mount in and then feed the axle into it, but will it be too hard to line up the bolts if I do it this way?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by endus
Just some final advice for the recrod: I had to remove the oil filter to get the axle + mount out and away from the car...no way could I get it by without removing it.

My only other question is whether or not I should attach the mount before I put the axle back in the car. I am overwhelmingly thinking NO, just put the mount in and then feed the axle into it, but will it be too hard to line up the bolts if I do it this way?
Before you put the axle back in make sure you put antiseize on the part that sticks in the bracket.

I installed new axles today and its alot easier just hammering the axle in while the bracket is already on the engine. Just make sure and put a nut on the end of the axle first so you don't mess up the threads.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:24 PM

i got mine out by using a punch to rotate the axle in the bracket after removing the 3 retaining bolts. once you get it to rotate it pops right out. good to know for next time. later.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:13 PM

Odd. I just undid the 3 bolts and left the bracket on there and pulled the axle out.

Done that 4 times now over the life of the car (tranny swaps, etc) - never had an issue.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by iansw
Odd. I just undid the 3 bolts and left the bracket on there and pulled the axle out.

Done that 4 times now over the life of the car (tranny swaps, etc) - never had an issue.

yea same take the 3 bolts off and it came right out i wondr what would cause them to seize up like that.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by tcrow31
yea same take the 3 bolts off and it came right out i wondr what would cause them to seize up like that.
Welcome to the world of the snow-belt. The road salt from winter really takes it's toll on chassis components, bolts, nuts, etc. I was under the car not too long ago looking at the passenger side axle/bracket and I know it's going to be a pain getting mine off if/when I ever have it to it.

Working on a car that's been through a few winter's is a whole different experience and most jobs are incredibly more difficult - seized parts, seized hardware etc.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:06 PM

On my 2k2 I was able to get it apart on the car but only after a few hours of doing what you described above. Finally I got it to twist a bit and put bolt back in and pushed it apart. That was on a car with 40k so I can imagine what it would be like on a 4th Gen.

When I took the axle out of the 95 just a while ago I removed the bracket from the engine and its still mounted on the axle. It was removed to facilitate a 3.5 swap so it won't have to be changed. (yet). Ya the salt takes its toll, I can't believe some of the pics I see on here of the underside of some guys cars, they look like new and mine is a rust bucket.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:29 AM

just finished mine a few hours ago

Spend 2 hours trying to undo the half shaft underneth the car. then relize i can undo the three 12mm bolts and take out the whole thing.
Spend another hours trying to break it loose with the whole assem.by on the ground.
Then all in a sudden a friend came by asking wtf i was doing. I was showing him the new axles and as i opened the box I almost PASSED OUT LOL because the new one actually came with both half shaft. so i spent 3 hours for nothing .. Glad i had so many things done today, oil change, tune up , drive belt , all lug nuts, passanger axle
going to do the drivers side and coolent hose tomol
Old 11-20-2005, 05:41 AM
Maintenance Monster

I remember similar joy working on mine. Hopefully it will be easier this time around (gotta swap trannies soon). I needed a nicely sharpened chisel hammered hard on the split between the carrier and housing. Even when they started moving, I needed to hammer hard on it to drive it fully out.

Yes, the joys of salt and rust.

Dave
Old 11-20-2005, 09:59 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
Before you put the axle back in make sure you put antiseize on the part that sticks in the bracket.

I installed new axles today and its alot easier just hammering the axle in while the bracket is already on the engine. Just make sure and put a nut on the end of the axle first so you don't mess up the threads.
Yea no doubt! I'm definitely going to slather antiseize on there...hopefully it will keep this from happening again.

Thanks for the advice on the installation...I think that's the way I'll go.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:00 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Doing it 4 times is probably part of what made it easy. This is the first time in 110K that the passenger axle is coming out of my car.

Also, MA uses a lot of salt on the roads. I have a friend who lives in CT and the difference in terms of rust and stuck bolts between cars that have lived in MA and those that have lived in CT is huge even though we get the same weather. Maybe they don't use as much salt where you are.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:02 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by furbiss112
i got mine out by using a punch to rotate the axle in the bracket after removing the 3 retaining bolts. once you get it to rotate it pops right out. good to know for next time. later.
Yea I tried exactly that. I put the punch on the ear that the bolt screws into and wailed on it pretty good....no dice!
Old 11-20-2005, 10:15 AM

The reason mine was seized in there was because of a severe exhaust leak at the rear exhaust manifold/y-pipe junction. I'm sure the heat from the exhaust actually altered the shape of the inside of the bracket over time because even when i put anti-seize/white lithium grease on there i still had to bang the new axle in to fit. Maybe some of you have exhaust leaks but don't know it yet...