4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 11:46 AM

Clutch Problem

Hey all i got a problem with my clutch (hydrolic system)

I will just start at the beginning.
About6 months ago I go outside in the morning, push the clutch to the floor and it just falls. Hardly even came back up when I removed my foot. I couldn't find any leaks of fluid but i blead it anyway and it seemed to work. Worked great for 6 months. I checked teh resevoir often and it never went down.
Yesturday It does the same thing, so again i look for a leak. The hose that goes from my master cylinder to the Slave cylinder seems to ooz just the slightest amount at where it attaches to the slave.
So i'm bleeding it again thinking that it will work for just a little while until it sucks to much air in from the hose. But it doesn't work at all. I push the pedal to the floor and it is real spungy until the very end where it seems to take up (maybe 2 inches of pedal travel actually seems to activate the clutch).
This morning I used the starter to pull the car out of my driveway then started rolling forwards down hill. Got it started and was able to shift by rev matching the gear.
The clutch seems to be fine cause i can break the tires loose and it holds (even when the clutch pedal is to the floor).
So my problem seems to be in the hydrolics somewhere. I had someone push the clutch while i looked at the slave cylindar, it seems to move the entire time that they are pushing. So perhaps it is just not moving far enough to disengage the clutch.

Any suggestions on what to do next.
COuld someone look at their slave cylindar and tell my roughly hor far it moves the little boot that goes to the throughout bearing also.

Thanks!