4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP!! ACCIDENT in 95 max, need to rebuild within 3 week..

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005 | 04:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HELP!! ACCIDENT in 95 max, need to rebuild within 3 week..

Well I rear-ended someone in the rain today, they slammed on there brakes and I slid a good 15-20 feet with the wheels locked..i was driving the wrong car today-no abs on 95gxe.. Anyway I need to bring the car up to NY in 3 weeks to get something dropped under the hood so I need this thing back up and driving soon. I dropped my digicam today after taking pictures and that broke too..

So my first question is does anyone know how to get the bumper seperated from the FENDERS??? I think i got all the bolts off but the two are stuck together with like grommets or something.. cut through them??

Also, is there anything else between the bumper and the radiator?? Something is cracked there but its too dark out to see everything without the bumper off... I am going to order a front bumper reinforcement bar from ebay tonight and really attempt to put my bumper back on temporarily...
Anybody know if I can get a bar cheaper than $65 shipped????
thanks for any help, comments...

Definately going to fix this thing... its not too bad at all looking from the outside, little bit of fog light and inside damage, latch, etc...
Old 11-28-2005 | 05:50 PM

Are you going to do the 97+ Front end swap? Now would be a perfect time.

I've locked up a few times in the rain with my ABS loaded car, so dont feel about about not having abs.

Bumper comes off after you take off a good dozen bolts. Are you saying it wont come off its kind of locked together with the fender, like at a hit point? If all the bolts are off, I'd examine in the day light what is hold it together and go from there.

after the front bumper, there is that foam support, then the bar, and I believe that is all after that, its the radiator support bar after that.

$65 shipped sounds good for a bar.

I take it the insurance wont be involved?

Whats going under the hood in 3 weeks in NY?
Old 11-28-2005 | 06:18 PM

Well I am going to try to reuse my bumper and the body kit is still intact that attaches atop the 95-96 bumper... matches the rest of the kit..
Also, It just hit me that the FOAM support is not in my car... My bar is cracked in half, is that something I can replace myself?? and should I order the foam while I'm at it for another $35...Insurance is not getting involved for now...
And the part that won't seperate after removing all those bolts is the seam that is seen from the side of the car, vertically where the bumper attaches to the front side of the fender..
Nothing too special, just getting an engine with 75k less miles than my current 150k... and then hooking up my injen cai, cattman pipe, and all that good stuff to it...
MDeezy-thankyou for your help..
Old 11-28-2005 | 06:27 PM

Didnt know you have a kit on your 95, no need to 97 it then.

the bar I've never taken it off but I believe its just bolted on, I dont know for sure but I believe so. In which case you should be able to replace yourself, use some WD-40 or some sort of penetrating oil, a good break bar and you should be able to get it off without too much strain.

The foam, I dont know what to say, I guess if you had the foam, maybe your bar wouldnt have cracked. The foam would have absorbed a lot of the impact, and the bar could have survived. I'd say get, $35 is small price to pay if (god forbid) you end up in a head on situation, or rear-ending what ever.

I am in the process of repairing my brother max, and he got hit right at that seam as well, I dont know what to say short of use some force, or maybe a flat head to pry between the seams to get it loose. I'm hoping a good look at it in the day light will give some answers.

a de-k engine? or same vq30de?

no prob for the help
Old 11-28-2005 | 06:44 PM

Thanks/ I am going to order that stuff tonight.. good point about the foam obsorber...
Old 11-28-2005 | 08:53 PM

150k is nothing for the VQ30 .. that thing has alot more life in it then you think. Why fix something that's not broke.
Old 11-29-2005 | 06:18 AM

Oh man ... I have said this a 100 times. It should be against the law to replace a VQ30 with another. Please drop a VQ35 in there if you are swapping.
Old 11-29-2005 | 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by scrhale
Oh man ... I have said this a 100 times. It should be against the law to replace a VQ30 with another. Please drop a VQ35 in there if you are swapping.
or atleast a DE-K, not that much extra work to do besides dropping it in. Get a nice little increase in power, plus 00vi.

But maybe he doesnt want more power, or have to worry about getting it tuned etc.