4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

K&N Air Filter, worth the price?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 07:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was thinking about getting one of the K&N Air Filters for my '97 SE. I heard you get a little more hp and a better sound, but i also heard that it doesnt accelerate as smooth with the K&N Filter in it. Are they worth the $50? What's the difference in performance between the round one that requires the mod and the rectangle one that doesnt need a mod. thanks
Old 06-04-2001, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by 97SEblk5spd
I was thinking about getting one of the K&N Air Filters for my '97 SE. I heard you get a little more hp and a better sound, but i also heard that it doesnt accelerate as smooth with the K&N Filter in it. Are they worth the $50? What's the difference in performance between the round one that requires the mod and the rectangle one that doesnt need a mod. thanks
I like mine a lot, I think it breathes better in the higher revs, but that's pure feel. No dynos or anything. I also drive a LOT (47,000 miles last year alone), and the cost for the K&N and just cleaning it, has more than paid for itself given the number of times I would have paid $15 for each repalcement paper filter. I've got a paper filter as "back up" but I've never had to use it at all except when I had to run out for an urgent errand while the K&N eas drying from a new cleaning.
Old 06-04-2001, 07:31 PM
kit

i think it's worth to buy. the third time u replace the paper filter covers the price of a K&N filter already. and the K&N allows more airflow.

the round one u talk abt, i believe it's some kinda airflow which looks like a tornado, rite? those ones allow more airflow 2, and let the air goes in the engine easier. but there's one disadvantage is that it will also allows more hot air in, which is not good.

i would prefer to get a K&N filter instead.
Old 06-04-2001, 08:35 PM
rll96se

In terms of performance, I did not notice much change when I had my Max. It breathed a little easier but nothing incredible. In terms of value and being able to clean it an reuse it, it is worth it. If you get a cone filter, make sure you set it up with a CAI. If you have 50 bucks to burn, then do it cuz I don't think its a rip off.

Old 06-05-2001, 04:22 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Get the cone style one with the adapter. I'm actaully selling mine soon because i'm getting a CAI. It's easier to install NOS with a CAI so that's the only reason. I have the JWT one and the filter is in very good condition. If you interested give me like 2 weeks or so to get my CAI and install it.