4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'98 run on 87 octane for 112K miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:37 AM

My proof is that #1 Nissan recommends it...do you work for Nissan to recommend against it and if so prove it? #2 It's in the FAQ! Your job is to disprove it since you are disputing it. You say the FAQ isn't accurate, then prove me wrong.

Originally Posted by devilz05
Do you have any proof that putting in 87 harms the engine besides what Nissan "recommends"? Those stickies are not the word of GOD. Yes, its true that putting in a higher octane reduces detonation and in some cars that is very important for their well being. Show me evidence that a 4th Gen Max is one of those cars.

There is no point in this argument, both of us have said what needs to be said and both of us have people who agree and disagree with us. Lets let this rest.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:22 PM

Here's a good read: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=419492 .

This covers the high octane = more performance theory and why premium fuel. Provides good explanation on the topic
Old 12-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Shift_3.0

Originally Posted by DR-Max
My proof is that #1 Nissan recommends it...do you work for Nissan to recommend against it and if so prove it? #2 It's in the FAQ! Your job is to disprove it since you are disputing it. You say the FAQ isn't accurate, then prove me wrong.
Nissan recommending it means nothing! If it was bad for the engine, Nissan WOULD NOT say that regular fuel may be used when premium is unavailable. The manual would say DO NOT USE REGULAR GAS, PREMIUM ONLY.

Second, the FAQ section has been said to be dated, but regardless, I dont see any kind of tests showing that the FAQ is correct regarding this issue. You asking me to prove my case is just absurd and you know it, I dont have the resources, time or desire for that.

This dispute is pointless, I draw my white flag..lol
Old 12-28-2005, 12:38 PM

Then don't expect me or anyone like me to agree with you which is why I am not agreeing. End of discussion on that.

...I dont have the resources, time or desire for that.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:38 PM

Did you get the last word yet? If so, this post is "over".
Old 12-28-2005, 01:42 PM

i have used 87 since i bought my car, only about 6000 miles on it but no problems at all with 87. although my ecu was throwing the knock sensor code since i got it.

my wife put 85 in the car without me knowing and i could actually tell a difference
Old 12-28-2005, 01:57 PM

Some one gave me a can of octane booster for the track is that gonna do any thing drastic?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:23 PM

I've been using 87 Octane for the last year since gas prices got jacked up. Now they've gone back down to about 2 bucks from the 3-something they were a few months ago, so I'm back to premium again. I personally can feel a difference between the two.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:55 PM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by DR-Max
Ask Ceasar's Chariot or anyone else in the org who hits the track regularly, what octane they use? Would you use regular unleaded before you hit the track?
if ur going to the track you also would like to have slicks on and maybe the car gutted as well.....but im sure u wouldnt drive around like that all the time would u if u didnt have to.

nissan said for alot of things to occur with our maximas that many of us arent listening to. they didnt say for us to remove the pre cats or to boost our cars or to swap in larger motors or to increase the timing. im quite sure it says for us to obey all posted traffic laws and im sure u dont always do the speed limit. u cant take one thing that nissan says to do and do it and not follow the rest.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:21 PM

My car is a daily driver....gutting it is out of the question. Once you swap in a new motor, you might as well forget having a dealer or a regular mechanic work on your car, most of the time they use a computer software or FSM to determine work time and give them info on the work to be done. Do you think you would easily find a shop that would be willing to work on your car after you've swapped the motor and did fabrications to make certain components work with the new motor? Probably not, the dealer will just laugh at you and shoosh you off! I don't use a y-pipe because I don't want the hassles of failing smog at any given time in the future. How many threads have you seen in the forum that talks about problems arising when someone modded their exhaust system and failed smog after? Not to mention the money that one would end up spending to resolve their issues and/or time involved when they do their own work? And for what.... for 10 hp increase? It's easy for anyone to recommend a mod but at what expense? Whenever anyone modifies an OEM equipment there's always a side-effect that comes with the outcome. Look at the endless intake debates in this forum. There's nothing wrong with modding but there are also boudaries to doing so. You don't put a 19" or 20" rims on you car and expect it to have the same pull as if it was on oem 15" or 16". Not to mention that it puts a lot of strain on the drivetrain, suspension, and brake components. Need I keep going?

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
if ur going to the track you also would like to have slicks on and maybe the car gutted as well.....but im sure u wouldnt drive around like that all the time would u if u didnt have to.

nissan said for alot of things to occur with our maximas that many of us arent listening to. they didnt say for us to remove the pre cats or to boost our cars or to swap in larger motors or to increase the timing. im quite sure it says for us to obey all posted traffic laws and im sure u dont always do the speed limit. u cant take one thing that nissan says to do and do it and not follow the rest.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:17 PM

nissan also recomends that you only use genuine nissan parts when dooing maintenance/repairs. how many of you like getting raped by them?

the computer retards timing when it senses a signal from the knock sensor, stopping detonation. although this could affect driveability, if you drive alot, at highway speeds you'll never notice a change. at WOT, the computer will set itself to the most powerful settings to move, and when cruising it will retard itself as much as nesc to prevent detonation.
if you do city driving, it may be more noticeable since you are at lower speeds, and idling more. knock at idle is tougher to contro than at 2500rpm.

dont get me wrong, i've used 93 in my 89 and 93 because i felt a differance driving local with them( 89 was strictly show and the 93 is my wife's daily, she drives 5 miles each way) but my work car is an 06 malibu and it takes 87, so did the 04 that i had before that and the 2000 stratus before them and they all had great power.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:39 PM

my max would blow up if i put 87 in it. i think the more hp you run you better have the higher oct. esp if you have a s/c on it!

The guy who owned the maxima before me is a mechanic. He has a 800hp stingray corvette that he built from scratch and a built harley as well. This was a man who knew about cars and he told me that it is fine putting 87 into the maxima and he has been doing it since he got the car. I bought the car with 86k on it and it still drives like new. You should be more worried about oil changes and things like that instead of the octane. If you can afford 93, then do that, but if money is an issue 87 will more than suffice. Premium fuel is only required in the 5th gen+ models.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:18 AM
eturnl

IT'S NOT THAT FOOKING EXPENSIVE, ITS LIKE $3 MORE PER TANK FULL! STOP WHINNING EVERYONE!

Premium fuel is recommend for high compression engines, like our maximas. when the engine was designed, nissan engineers made sure that the consumer knows that 91+ octane fuel was recommended.(to minimize spontaneous combustion under compression). No one at nissan is benifiting from us who fill with higher octane fuel. Its the VQs design spec requirment for optimal performance. You want your engine to run the way nissan engineers designed it to run? If you all want to take that with a grain of salt be my guest. No one will care, your car is your car. Again, its only about $3 per tank. fill up once a week, thats $12 a month, $156 a year.

oh wait, thats almost as much as my internet service... hmmm maybe it is a bit expensive? **** it!

Old 01-12-2006, 01:26 AM
eturnl

Originally Posted by shavedmax
nissan also recomends that you only use genuine nissan parts when dooing maintenance/repairs. how many of you like getting raped by them?
I wouldnt say you can relate these two recommendations... there could actually be a confilt of interest associated with nissan recommending genuine nissan parts. recommending a fuel composition has nothing to do with their company incentives/revenue.

but, i personally WOULD recommend genuine nissan parts. are you saying that if they were the same price as aftermarket parts, you wouldnt use them?

the point here is, nissan engineers know wtf they're talking about.

just my 2 pennies.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:30 AM
eturnl

excuse my spelling errors in the previous posts fellas.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:27 PM

My car refuses to accelerate with 87, 89 works, 91 best...
Old 02-08-2006, 02:48 PM

Recently i found out bad gas milege on 87 that is still in my tank. 2 full cans of premium waiting in garage. I just don't like mixing stuff
Old 02-08-2006, 04:54 PM

The info in the FAQ is wrong. Look in your Maxima manual and it will say 87 is fine to use.

I have been over this a too many times. First time I was banned for about two weeks because they said I didn't know what I was talking about.

Well my maxima has 263k miles on 87 octane and still gets 30 mpg highway.

87 for this bulletproof engine.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:50 AM

This car is a great car for a great price. Only thing I hate about the Maxima is the handling and the brakes.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:37 AM
This ORG has saved me $$$$$$$$

When I put 87 in my car the acceleration BLEW. So then, on a friends recommendation I would alternate each week between 87 and 93. Alternating between 87 and 89 doesn't make sense since it's only 3 more octane. Anyway I got tired of keeping track and like I said anytime I put 87 in it would accelerate slower, causing me to step on the gas more causing lower gas milage. So I started using 89 constantly (mid-grade here in VA). I haven't had any problems. Plus I put in STP total fuel system cleaner(in the silver bottle) everytime I change the oil. If you put more than one bottle in more than every 3000-4000 miles I heard it actually hurts the car.

Recently I switched to 93 (we only have 87 89 93 options at the pump) just to see if it would help my car accelerate better. So far I can't tell whether it's the STP or the 93. I would imagine running a lower octane that causes the knock sensor to work and thus cause other components connected to the KS to work only causes more wear and tear on the car.

Better safe than sorry. If you tally anything you buy and come up with a yearly figure you'll be surprised. Even if gas was only 95 cents a gallon a week that's still $102.00 dollars a year in gas. .95 * 3 = 2.85 * 3 = 8.55 * 12 = $102.60.

Everything costs money. Car's and houses cost more. So what do you take care of your car or your hairstyle. (I prefer both but you get my point)
Old 02-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Shift_3.0

Obviously the car wont run as smoothly when you go from 93 to 87, you have to wait for the ECU to adjust itself.