4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 10:40 AM

im wondering how far can the gas get down on the gauge before alot of accumulation of stuff starts getting in it

and what can u do to keep your tank clean when this stuff does get in there
Old 06-05-2001, 12:09 PM

Nothing to worry about

Originally posted by 4genstock
im wondering how far can the gas get down on the gauge before alot of accumulation of stuff starts getting in it

and what can u do to keep your tank clean when this stuff does get in there
A lot of people worry about "gunge" at the bottom of the tank which will be picked up when the fuel level gets low. Stop worrying! It really doesn't matter! The fuel pump pickup is situated at the bottom of the tank, so it is picking up that "gunge" even when the fuel tank is full.

There's another factor to consider. The closed-loop fuel supply system in our 4Gen Maxima is always pumping far more fuel to the fuel rail than the engine can ever use. The surplus is sent back to the tank via the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel return line. All of the fuel is constantly filtered. If you think about it, your fuel tank is self-cleaning! You can get rid of the accumulated "gunge" just by replacing your fuel filter.
Old 06-05-2001, 12:59 PM

Re: Nothing to worry about

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
A lot of people worry about "gunge" at the bottom of the tank which will be picked up when the fuel level gets low. Stop worrying! It really doesn't matter! The fuel pump pickup is situated at the bottom of the tank, so it is picking up that "gunge" even when the fuel tank is full.

There's another factor to consider. The closed-loop fuel supply system in our 4Gen Maxima is always pumping far more fuel to the fuel rail than the engine can ever use. The surplus is sent back to the tank via the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel return line. All of the fuel is constantly filtered. If you think about it, your fuel tank is self-cleaning! You can get rid of the accumulated "gunge" just by replacing your fuel filter.
thanks man
Old 06-05-2001, 01:23 PM
Rit

My $0.02 in running gas tanks "dry"

I once did it on my way back from Florida to NY, and because of that (I believe) my fuel pump failed in Virginia on a Saturday evening, and I spent all Sunday on my back "dropping" my 18 gallon gas tank in order to replace the fuel pump - yep -No access port under the rear seat. It was a big PITA - believe me.

The gasoline acts as a coolant for the pump, so when you run it low, you are running the risk of burning out your fuel pump. I will never do that again - and I would suggest the same for all of you.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:36 PM

Re: My $0.02 in running gas tanks "dry"

Originally posted by Rit
... The gasoline acts as a coolant for the pump, so when you run it low, you are running the risk of burning out your fuel pump. ...
This is good advice. Running "low" is okay, but if you actually run it "dry" it will harm the pump. The damage doesn't always show up right away.

... No access port under the rear seat. ...
Which year Maxima had no access plate? The Chilton and Haynes manuals show this plate, and my '99 has it. You are quite right, dropping the tank is a tough job.
Old 06-05-2001, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Rit
I once did it on my way back from Florida to NY, and because of that (I believe) my fuel pump failed in Virginia on a Saturday evening, and I spent all Sunday on my back "dropping" my 18 gallon gas tank in order to replace the fuel pump - yep -No access port under the rear seat. It was a big PITA - believe me.
How far below empty was the guage? I think I push the empty limit too often, but maybe you can help me so I don't find out on my own. haha.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:26 PM

The fuel pump uses fuel both as a lubricant and a coolant and when you run the tank dry, the pump has to work really hard to pick up the fumes in the tank. So the best advice is to not run the tank dry!

There is a fuel pump access port under the rear seat.

Originally posted by Rit

The gasoline acts as a coolant for the pump, so when you run it low, you are running the risk of burning out your fuel pump. I will never do that again - and I would suggest the same for all of you.
Old 06-06-2001, 04:14 AM
Rit

Clear up my words

Sorry, I didn't say it was with my Maxima, because it was with my Buick. You're right, the Max does have an access port - stupid GM didn't put one in!
Old 06-06-2001, 04:35 AM

how low is too low?

i dont know either, how low is too low? since i drive so far to get to work, i usually end up running the car until the low fuel light comes on (and stays on). and sometimes, i run the car for another 20 miles because it is not convenient/safe to pull over. is running the tank that low bad? when i fill up, i have gotten almost 17 gallons, that means that the tank has 1.5 gals left, right? so is 1.5 gals enough to keep the pump lubricated?

dfwmax
Old 06-06-2001, 05:52 AM

Re: how low is too low?

Originally posted by DFWmax
... is running the tank that low bad? ...
Low is not bad. Empty is bad. I'm not talking about "Empty" on the gauge, I'm talking about "Empty" in the tank. When your engine stops because there is no fuel in the tank, it is Empty.