4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NGK Iridium IX

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 03:34 PM

NGK Iridium IX

Apparently, it is recommended that these not be re-gapped by the end user. It is recommended that all other flavors of NGK plugs should be checked and re-gapped as necessary. Checked the website as well as other sources, and still left with question. I gapped a set to .044 and they were good. I tried a set without being gapped, and they are okay. They come with a very small gap as is, being that they are "iridium" Comments?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its not going to do any good unless you are boosting
Old 12-22-2005, 06:26 PM

I have the Iridium NGK plugs. I don't mind spending $35 on a product I know is excellent, and I haven't had any problems since I installed it last year. I say go for it..

EDIT: Sorry, Mary Jane had me re-read the original post...HAHAHA...man...
Old 12-23-2005, 04:59 AM
Team Ramrod

I didn't know spark plugs had flavors.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:06 AM
Banned

Not sure where you got the info that Iridium plugs should not be gapped?

It is wise to check EVERY plug before installation for correct gap.

My fastest N/A time (13.3) came from Iridium plugs gapped at .035".
Old 12-23-2005, 05:25 AM

To stupid F uck : Flavors as in the different types of ngk plugs recommended for max (Iridium, laser platinum, copper, etc..)

To everyone else: Some of the shop manuals as well as info that shops selling the plugs use recommend that these plugs (with exception to all other ngk flavors) not be re-gapped. This is also true with some other specific brands carrying iridium plugs such as denso. The factory setting for the set of plugs i'm currently using is very small ( .022)

From NGK Website:
Should I gap my Iridium Plugs?

The manufacturers say NO.
This is because most people do not know how to properly gap a spark plug, and the center electrodes on the ultra-fine iridium can easily snap if mishandled. There is no warranty for snapped center electrodes. The manufacturers say an iridium spark plug will run so much better than a traditional plug, even if it is not gapped for that motor, that they would prefer you just leave it rather than risk snapping the center electrode.
Personally, we at sparkplugs.com, gap our iridium plugs for our own vehicles (we’re rebels). If you insist on gapping your iridium plug, please refer to Proper Gapping for instruction.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:14 AM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by Cosmo459sx
To stupid F uck : Flavors as in the different types of ngk plugs recommended for max (Iridium, laser platinum, copper, etc..)

To everyone else: Some of the shop manuals as well as info that shops selling the plugs use recommend that these plugs (with exception to all other ngk flavors) not be re-gapped. This is also true with some other specific brands carrying iridium plugs such as denso. The factory setting for the set of plugs i'm currently using is very small ( .022)

From NGK Website:
Should I gap my Iridium Plugs?

The manufacturers say NO.
This is because most people do not know how to properly gap a spark plug, and the center electrodes on the ultra-fine iridium can easily snap if mishandled. There is no warranty for snapped center electrodes. The manufacturers say an iridium spark plug will run so much better than a traditional plug, even if it is not gapped for that motor, that they would prefer you just leave it rather than risk snapping the center electrode.
Personally, we at sparkplugs.com, gap our iridium plugs for our own vehicles (we’re rebels). If you insist on gapping your iridium plug, please refer to Proper Gapping for instruction.
Calm down tough guy. Those would be different types... to keep yourself from sounding like an idiot.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:23 AM
Banned

There is your answer. If they do their own vehicles that should tell you something. If you don't think you can gap an iridium plug without breaking it then don't do it. I think is foolish and irresponsible to install a plug in an engine without knowing if the gap is correct.

Don't forget the Maxima Motto. "Making Mechanics out of ordinary men since 1981."
Old 12-23-2005, 10:35 AM

True, true my friend. Like I said before, I gapped the first set, and they seemed good. I didn't gap the second, and they seem okay too but.....

The **** retentive side of me wants to take them all out and re-gap. Just like how I spent hours trying to make something out of inconsistent ohm readings from my coils. Lost faith in the resistance reading method. Finally, using the swap method, I was able to detect the bad coil. As far as plug gap, the reasonable side says leave it alone if it runs fine. LOL
Old 12-23-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by lilaclucymaxima
Calm down tough guy. Those would be different types... to keep yourself from sounding like an idiot.
FLAVORS AS IN TYPES. This just exemplifies how maxima.org is no longer a car-related website. Little flamers like this f uck ruin the board.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by lilaclucymaxima
I didn't know spark plugs had flavors.
Wow you are a stupid F uck. I just shake my head at dumb F ucks like yourself. End yourself!!!

Derek I think what we talked on aim about might have worked. Write me later and tell me what happened.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:54 AM

not to ruin all the flaming going on but does any have link or somethin that explains how to properly gap the spark plugs???
Old 12-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Team Ramrod

FLAVORS AS IN TYPES.
That's what I was saying.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by future
not to ruin all the flaming going on but does any have link or somethin that explains how to properly gap the spark plugs???
Google... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
Old 12-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by rich96max
Wow you are a stupid F uck. I just shake my head at dumb F ucks like yourself. End yourself!!!

Derek I think what we talked on aim about might have worked. Write me later and tell me what happened.
Seems like you're doing a little more than shaking your head. Idiot. What started out as a joke, ended up with a couple of big tough guys and insults. Why don't you two spend less time being and spending more time using common sense to gap your spark plugs. Maybe idiots like you two "ruin" these boards.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:52 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Just installed NGK iridiums in my 99 se tonight. WORLD of difference. a little background first. Im a long time 3rd gen VE owner and got my hands on a 99se this past tuesday. Upon further inspection of the car EVERYTHING down to the wiper blades are original. the air filter looked like used dryer lint trap. at any rate i just dropped in a k&n panel filter, some fuel injector cleaner and ngk iridiums. Now as pertaining to this thread I did gap them to.044 with no problems at all. the car runs great. and goes like a cheetah on speed, LOL
Old 12-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Team Ramrod

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
Just installed NGK iridiums in my 99 se tonight. WORLD of difference. a little background first. Im a long time 3rd gen VE owner and got my hands on a 99se this past tuesday. Upon further inspection of the car EVERYTHING down to the wiper blades are original. the air filter looked like used dryer lint trap. at any rate i just dropped in a k&n panel filter, some fuel injector cleaner and ngk iridiums. Now as pertaining to this thread I did gap them to.044 with no problems at all. the car runs great. and goes like a cheetah on speed, LOL
What kind of spark plugs did you have before?