4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Foglight bulb question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Doc
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Foglight bulb question...

I'm considering swapping my white fog bulbs for the PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs. Does anyone have these in their car? If so, how do you like them? What other yellow fog bulbs do you guys use? Can you give opinions as to which yellow fog bulbs are the best performers and why? I know the yellows will light up poor visibility nights better especially in bad weather, but I want a good bright yellow fog bulb. Thanks, guys.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:10 AM
Doc

bump bump bump
Old 01-13-2006, 07:06 AM

I have NOKYA yellow bulbs in my fog lights and I like the output. I kinda has that "lexus yellow" look. I am very satisfied and it was $25 shipped on ebay.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Doc

Thanks Dariod. Those are the ones I think I've seen the best feedback about. It seems Nokya puts out some pretty good bulbs for reasonable prices.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:31 AM

Take a look at the Luminics JDM yellow fog light bulbs
Old 01-13-2006, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
Take a look at the Luminics JDM yellow fog light bulbs
I bought those about 8 months ago, and one of them burnt out already. I'm not a tool that drives around everyday with my fogs on to look cool either. I rarely used them, like maybe 60 hours total and that is way over-estimating. I didn't even buy them off ebay, plus they weren't very bright at all, could barely see the difference on the road with them on.
So I'm also in the market for some new fogs, but am leaning toward projectors since the luminics didn't do anything for me.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:41 PM

I've had a couple sets of the PIAA Ion Yellows. There ok, but IMO not worth the money I paid. You only really see color from certain angles. No where near the lexus yellow everyone typically looks for.

As far as them helping with inclement weather and such, I feel that max fogs in general are basically cosmetic. Perhaps mine are aimed incorrectly, but I know they've never thrown anything which was useable on the road. If that’s the sort of thing you looking for, you may want to look into a retro similar to the one this guy did:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...low+fogs+retro
Old 01-13-2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Capitone
I've had a couple sets of the PIAA Ion Yellows. There ok, but IMO not worth the money I paid. You only really see color from certain angles. No where near the lexus yellow everyone typically looks for.

As far as them helping with inclement weather and such, I feel that max fogs in general are basically cosmetic. Perhaps mine are aimed incorrectly, but I know they've never thrown anything which was useable on the road. If that’s the sort of thing you looking for, you may want to look into a retro similar to the one this guy did:

Looks like i will be joining another forum... bastards won't let me see it without joining
Old 01-13-2006, 01:48 PM
kormax97

If you want output, definitely HID fogs. If you want yellow, I'd go with Nokya Hyper Yellow. I had those on before but now I changed them to Nokya Hyper White and it gives more light on the road and is whitter then stock but not as bright as I want it to be.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:02 PM
blah

Next time you post a link make sure everyone can see it not just special people or else its pointless especially on a thread about vision.

And luminics h3 bulbs have the shortest lifespan ever (2 months). My silverstars which I had prior to luminics lasted a year.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:55 PM

You can do the yellow capsule mod to your fogs.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:05 PM

So true about the certain angles. Looking at them straight on there is really only a very small amount of yellow, but looking at them from an angle you can then see the color
Old 01-13-2006, 06:26 PM

I agree...I have the IS300 hid system in my max and I was tryin to make my foglights look like the IS300 by getting the piaa yellow bulbs, but they were pretty much crap...looked like the regular color but a bit brighter...They only look good at an angle...yellow capsules recommended...
Old 01-13-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Doc
I'm considering swapping my white fog bulbs for the PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs. Does anyone have these in their car? If so, how do you like them? What other yellow fog bulbs do you guys use? Can you give opinions as to which yellow fog bulbs are the best performers and why?
I've used PIAA Ion Crystals and now have the Redlinemax Halos. The PIAAs lasted forever (still going) and I only just got the Halos, which are yellower. The yellowest would be to do the abovementioned HID Tech yellow capsule mod.

See this thread in the 5th Gen forum for some comparisons:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=449650

Originally Posted by Doc
I know the yellows will light up poor visibility nights better especially in bad weather, but I want a good bright yellow fog bulb. Thanks, guys.
Color won't really matter if you're looking for better visibility. Whether its white or yellow, the beam pattern (low and wide, or low and thin) and intensity are more important. That being said, you'll probably have to re-aim your stock fogs and get higher wattage bulbs (but you'll have to upgrade your wire harnesses or they'll melt) or a HID kit.

Here are a couple of good articles about aiming both headlights and auxiliary lights:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...jsp?techid=132

And these are but 2 articles (Google it, there are more out there) discussing how yellow fogs may not help visibility as much as people claim they do:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/phy99xx4.htm

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...bruary/08.html
Old 01-13-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by kormax97
... If you want yellow, I'd go with Nokya Hyper Yellow. I had those on before but now I changed them to Nokya Hyper White ....
that is funny I actually didn't do any search around, I just wnet and bought the nokya hyper yellow.
But I noticed something, I have the Stage I version, and online I saw a stage II version, I tryed looking around but couldn't find any different, the number I have is NOK7615 (H3). can anyone explain?
Old 01-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Doc

Thanks for all of your input on this. There are a lot of interesting thoughts. From personal experience I would stay away from any Luminics bulbs, period. Short life span and not much light intensity from my perspective. Currently I run the PIAA xtreme white fog bulbs and like them pretty well. They are quite white, whiter than my PIAA xtreme white headlight bulbs by a lot. I was reading somewhere in this forum a while ago that the yellow fogs provide better overall illumination in poor visibility situations, which is what fog lights are meant for. Tonight we have some very dense fog and the PIAA's really helped a lot in that dark spot between the front of the hood and the start of the headlight beam pattern. They did very well for me. All other thoughts and experiences with yellow fogs is certainly welcome.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:31 PM

Yellow lights are supposed to help in bad weather situations because the human eye is more sensitive to yellow light. Whereas only about 2% of the cones on our retinas are sensitive to blue light, about 1/3 of the remaining cones are sensitive to red light and about 2/3 of them are sensitive to green light. The blue cones are more sensitive than the red or green, but not enough to make up for the difference in numbers.

Since the vast majority of cones in our eyes are sensitive to red and green light, and since yellow is the additive color addition of red and green, our eyes will be able to sense very subtle differences in yellow light that they couldn't see as well in white (since a good portion of white light is actually "wasted" blue light). In situations where the weather is bad and there are all sorts of interferences with your light output, it's more important that you're able to see all the subtleties in the light.

This is the theory as I remember it, at least.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by dariod
I have NOKYA yellow bulbs in my fog lights and I like the output. I kinda has that "lexus yellow" look. I am very satisfied and it was $25 shipped on ebay.

wo0ho0! thanks for the info I bought those bulbs last summer and still haven't put them on yet... and the fact you mentionned "has the lexus yellow look", that's exactly what I was looking for ( when I see a GS series with the HID's and the yellow fogs on.... it's so beautiful)

Old 01-13-2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Batxel
And luminics h3 bulbs have the shortest lifespan ever (2 months). My silverstars which I had prior to luminics lasted a year.
no they dont, I've had mine for 9 months and they haven't blown.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:12 AM
blah

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Yellow lights are supposed to help in bad weather situations because the human eye is more sensitive to yellow light. Whereas only about 2% of the cones on our retinas are sensitive to blue light, about 1/3 of the remaining cones are sensitive to red light and about 2/3 of them are sensitive to green light. The blue cones are more sensitive than the red or green, but not enough to make up for the difference in numbers.

Since the vast majority of cones in our eyes are sensitive to red and green light, and since yellow is the additive color addition of red and green, our eyes will be able to sense very subtle differences in yellow light that they couldn't see as well in white (since a good portion of white light is actually "wasted" blue light). In situations where the weather is bad and there are all sorts of interferences with your light output, it's more important that you're able to see all the subtleties in the light.

This is the theory as I remember it, at least.
The theory sounds nice but it doesn't really apply here. The h3 yellow bulbs are actually just a regular bulb that emits an off white color and is tinted yellow. So you will actually see less because of the tint. If it actually emitted yellow light to begin with than it would be a different story.

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
no they dont, I've had mine for 9 months and they haven't blown.
Well mine do. Mabye luminics sends me the special ones. I got them replaced for free and the second batch lasted whole whopping 2 1/2 months.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by dariod

i was thinking about picking up a pair of these bulbs. Are you using your stock harness or an upgrade?
Old 01-14-2006, 08:56 AM
kormax97

Originally Posted by Guinader
that is funny I actually didn't do any search around, I just wnet and bought the nokya hyper yellow.
But I noticed something, I have the Stage I version, and online I saw a stage II version, I tryed looking around but couldn't find any different, the number I have is NOK7615 (H3). can anyone explain?
stage 1 and stage 2 have different wattage. obviously stage 2 would be brighter but would require you to put some upgraded harness because I'm sure you don't want to melt down your sockets like I did.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by kormax97
stage 1 and stage 2 have different wattage. obviously stage 2 would be brighter but would require you to put some upgraded harness because I'm sure you don't want to melt down your sockets like I did.
wouldn't the lower wattage have a yellower looks to it instead of the higher one.......I think I just sounded very stupid asking this question.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:25 AM
kormax97

Originally Posted by Guinader
wouldn't the lower wattage have a yellower looks to it instead of the higher one.......I think I just sounded very stupid asking this question.
i know what you mean.. but no that doesn't work that way. you would need stage 2 if you want a brighter, more distinctive yellow and not foggy yellow if you get what i mean.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:11 PM

What is the wattage of stock H3s for 4th gen, anyways...?
Old 01-14-2006, 08:28 PM

If y'all are worried about bulbs going out, the Halo Super Yellows have a lifetime warranty on em and they're pretty much the same color as the Luminics.

You can see em side by side here on a couple 5th Gens:

Left is Luminics and right is Halo

I understand that they may look slightly different on 4th Gens because of the different fog light housing y'all have, but its just to show that color wise they are pretty close.

You can get the Halo Super Yellows from Redlinemax.com and I believe they have some in stock now. Contact Corey aka Redmax for more info.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:37 PM

So, HID's are best for output? How much and where, then? Because I was driving in dense fog on saturday and I could barely see. Turning the fogs on and off, I didnt notice any difference at all.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by rdbaron9
Looks like i will be joining another forum... bastards won't let me see it without joining
My bad. Didn't realize you needed to join to view posts. If your into lights, joining this forum won't be a bad idea at all. Great place with lots of info on all sorts vehicle lighting. Everyone should at least browse it if you haven't already.

Capitone
Old 01-17-2006, 02:57 PM

yo Level
wat headlights u got those are just the color im trying to get
Old 01-18-2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by incognito903
yo Level
wat headlights u got those are just the color im trying to get
lol. bone stock, the picture is just b&w. Unless, of course, the previous owner changed the lights, which I really doubt.