4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

RSB and Y pipe - "How did I live without these before?" ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001 | 08:18 AM

Is that what I'm going to be saying if I get either or both of these done? I think I might do the RSB first because It's cheaper and I can do it myself.

What about Y pipe? I have a pop charger now. Is it going to be real LOUD? What if I go back to stock air box, maybe with a K&N panel filter and then add the Y pipe? Same power with less noise?

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-07-2001 | 10:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

rsn is worth it. your car somewhat rolls less..just the y-pipe with the intake will give you a slight increase in noise, but you better watch out when you get exhaust, it will be very loud.
Old 06-07-2001 | 02:04 PM

Since you have a POP charger, I strongly recommend you upgrade in this order;

Front Strut Tower Brace
Rear Sway Bar
Y-pipe

As for the noise, I think the Y-pipe will increase your noise, but not by much. The biggest noise increase came when you went fro stock to POP

I have a Y-pipe now, and when I get some time I will install it. I already have the CAI, I'll post my observations when its done.

DW

Originally posted by Bernie Lomax
Is that what I'm going to be saying if I get either or both of these done? I think I might do the RSB first because It's cheaper and I can do it myself.

What about Y pipe? I have a pop charger now. Is it going to be real LOUD? What if I go back to stock air box, maybe with a K&N panel filter and then add the Y pipe? Same power with less noise?

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-07-2001 | 02:18 PM

I have

a Cattman Y Pipe, and Greddy Catback. The tone is a bit on the low side. The only time its loudest is when your at a cruising rpm. About 2100-2300 rpms. For me, I love it. Not a bees in the can type thing, real low in tone, with a mellow rumble. I just put a K&N cone type filter on, and I will see how it is.

I ordered my Courtesy FSTB and got it in today. Livin in Austin makes things sooo much better.

So far my mods that I added in the past 2 weeks include:
Cattman Y-Pipe
Greddy "B" pipe w/Catback
Courtesy FSTB
K&N Cone filter (same as the pop charger just about)

next:
Stillen RSB, RSTB
Place Racing CAI
Sprint Springs
Koni, or AGX struts

I should get all those within the month.
Old 06-07-2001 | 04:05 PM

rstb dont do much dont bother
Old 06-08-2001 | 05:26 AM

Thanks

I have a FSTB, and notice a minimal difference with it. I think Im going to get the RSB and then do the Y pipe. If I don't like the noise, I'll go back to stock air box to quiet it down. Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2001 | 06:13 AM

Re: Thanks

Hmm, you have the FSTB and notice a minimal difference. Something tells me you may make the same observation with the RSB. The FSTB and RSB don't have an effect at all on straight ahead driving, its in the corners that they make themselves noticed. The harder you go thru corners the more you'll notice (and appreciate) them. The RSB realy makes a difference going fast thru long sweeping bends. Without it, your car feels as if the tail is going to jump out any moment, but with it, your tail is right there with you thru the whole turn. The FSTB effect is more subtle, but subsantial nonetheless. In a corner, your car feels more connected to the road. That feeling gives you more confidence which then lets you push the car faster thru a turn.

DW

I have a FSTB, and notice a minimal difference with it. I think Im going to get the RSB and then do the Y pipe. If I don't like the noise, I'll go back to stock air box to quiet it down. Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2001 | 09:24 AM

FSTB

when i put the FSTB on, I didn't notice a difference in city driving. Even on the hard turns. But!....at a HWY speed, you will notice a difference. Not by alot, but you will notice it. Exiting ramps is a bit more stable and controlled.
Old 06-09-2001 | 09:49 AM

Re: Thanks

if you have a stock exhaust you will not even notice the sound from the added y-pipe, and going back to the stock airbox will make your engine sound completely stock. I have a cat-back..and the intake alone is MUCH MUCH lounder the the y-pipe and cat-back. You'll also make the y-pipe less effective if you take out your popcharger.
Old 06-09-2001 | 09:51 AM

FSTB made a big dif to me

It tightened my steering a WHOLE lot, like if I barely touch the wheel the car is turning now, its is VERY nice... gives a lot more what feels like feedback now too when taking hard turns (fast or the interstate circle ramps are the best..) definately the best 40$ I have spent so far! (Although the intake is AWESOME too!)
Old 06-09-2001 | 01:39 PM

I would get the FSTB before the RSB. Basically, the FSTB sharpens up the steering response a bit and makes the car feel more solid on sharp sweepers. RSB is great too, reduces body roll by quite a bit. As for brand, I would shop by price. $tealin' (Stillen) products are for name only, and don't necessarily perform any better. I got my FSTB from Courtesy Nissan, and my Addco RSB from Cattman. Both are excellent mods, highly recommended with absolutely no drawbacks.
Old 06-26-2001 | 05:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Thanks

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

if you have a stock exhaust you will not even notice the sound from the added y-pipe, and going back to the stock airbox will make your engine sound completely stock. I have a cat-back..and the intake alone is MUCH MUCH lounder the the y-pipe and cat-back. You'll also make the y-pipe less effective if you take out your popcharger.
Hello,

I just installed a JWT PopCharger for my '99 Maxima SE and there is a big increase in NOISE!
Is this normal? Please advice...

Thank you.