4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

TC Installed (Kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:41 AM

TC Installed (Kinda long)

So I finally got the the Edge TC installed in my max last night. Here's a little review. I will update as I drive some more but after a couple of days of driving it with the new conveter these are my first impressions:
Under light throttle: Idle speed is almost non-existent. For normal everyday driving (no lead foot) you do have to give her a little more gas to get her going. There is also quite a bit more power being transferred to the wheels(butt dyno) I find myself spinning out a lot even under light throttle when I go to leave from a stop or red light (at about 2k rpm) I dont think i've ever seen my "Slip" light go off so many times. There was some snow last night in toronto and I noticed that my traction has also went out the window in slippery conditions. I've come to the conclusion that even for daily driving I would have to invest in better tires to solve this issue.

At WOT: I cant really give you a decent review until i get better tires. With my Goodyear all seasons, from a stop when I floored it, I was just bouncing around. I mean if im having problems at 2k rpm then its obvious that at WOT those problems are just gonna get worse. Drag radials or sticky street tires are a must for the track.

Midrange pull: It might be the placebo effect or it might actually be the converter but I find that my car has much better passing power now. I'm not talking about a miniscule difference. I think its actually a huge improvement over the stock converter. Again to me this can only mean one thing, that more power is effectively being put to the wheels. (More effecient than stock converter?)

Overall I'm very satisfied with the TC and it was a good investment for me. I cant completey say its a wonderful thing until i get some dyno runs and get some track times but all that is going to have to wait for a while because I'm broke
Old 01-19-2006, 11:03 AM

Sounds good, and I'm happy that you ended up being satisfied. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:01 PM
VK56 Inside

Why dyno? A TC wont give up extra horse power. Its only going to change your launching rpms. Correct me if Im wrong.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dubbya
Why dyno? A TC wont give up extra horse power. Its only going to change your launching rpms. Correct me if Im wrong.
You may be right but if it is transferring more power to the wheels would that not show as an increase in fwhp? I may be wrong. Kinda like how 5spds and 4ATs are both rated at 190hp but at the wheels the 5spds show more power on the dyno.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:11 PM
VK56 Inside

Compairing an auto with a high stall tc to a 5 speed doesnt make sense. The reason the 5 speed puts more power to the ground is less loss of power through the drive train (less moving parts). The reason you feel like there is more power is the tc is not allowing your car to shift until a higher rpm so your are in the power band. This also explains your traction problems. Its like holding the clutch in on a 5 speed and dumping it at 2000 rpms.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:17 PM

Yes you're right. I understand what you're saying. But from talking to Andre, he explained that their converters are more effecient than stock ones. I wasnt comparing the two anyway, just saying that if theres a difference in whp then I'd like to find out by dynoing it. But that's not really the point...i've been meaning to dyno my car anyway cause of the other mods. You're probably 100% right...I'm just learning.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:19 PM
VK56 Inside

Ahh. Well if you havent ever dyno'd before then hit it up. I just wouldnt set my expectations to see more power because of the TC.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:00 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by whlimi
So I finally got the the Edge TC installed in my max last night.

Whlimi - congrats on the install. Your experiences sound very similar to mine. The more I drive my car, the better I like the Edge.

I'm loking forward to spring and the start of track season - we'll see if Andre is right about more power delivered to the wheels.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:01 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Whlimi - congrats on the install. Your experiences sound very similar to mine. The more I drive my car, the better I like the Edge.

I'm loking forward to spring and the start of track season - we'll see if Andre is right about more power delivered to the wheels.
LandShark has Cosworth

LandShark has Cosworth