4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replaced TPS.... wow perfect idle!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Blazin......

Replaced TPS.... wow perfect idle!

Hello all.
I myself as many others have had Extensive Issues/Problems with Idle.
Ive had every EVAP code, every purge valve control china town code..
Ive replaced about 10different sensors including all O2 and knocksensor....

BUT: yesterday i decided to remove the TB and got the dremel out to remove the TPS screws. Replaced the TPS w/one from Autozone.
WOW! my car actually has a warm-up idle now
My car doesnt run so rich on fuel either.

I recommend this for anyone who has idle issues and problems stalling. My car use to stall the first 3 times i started it every-morning. I actually see this engine lasting till 250,000 miles now. at 186,000 now...still blazin...
Old 01-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Do I get a tax break?

How much is a TPS from autozone? Did your TPS philips-head screws strip as well? I'm having the same trouble... (I was just going to remove mine to play one day, but the screws started deforming)... I need an impact screwdriver...
Old 01-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hell yeah dude! I have had roughidle and the same EVAP codes throwing and I was tryin to determine wha the issue was...I'm doing this today! Thanks for the feedback on your idle issues...it helped me!

-LIEB-
Old 01-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Blazin......

Originally Posted by njmodi
How much is a TPS from autozone? Did your TPS philips-head screws strip as well? I'm having the same trouble... (I was just going to remove mine to play one day, but the screws started deforming)... I need an impact screwdriver...
It costed me 70.00 from autozone. Its made by wells and is a remanufactured part. The parts looked identicall except 1 number off (mine was like E16 and the part i bought was like E10...)<something like that..

REMOVAL: Took 2minutes. Get a Dremel. Get a cutting wheel. I have extras of this laying around. Make 1 good cut across the TOP of the philips screw head, make it deep but not all the way down or youll cut the tip off and have to drill out the holes... (i suggest turning the dremel up on high and making 1 fast cut that way you dont loose alot of the tip to lock ur straight screw driver onto). then i think you have only one shot! after that the 2sides of the tip may break off b/c not much is there after making the cut. yes ur using a straight screw driver bc you made the single big cut w/ the dremel.

Ive honestly cleaned every EVAP crap part and replace all my hoses in the past 2 yrs. Ive been needing this part for 2 yrs now and it really feals like a new car...
Old 01-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Great tips on the removal.. I really need to add a dremel to my tool collection...
Old 01-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Blazin......

Yeah you'd be suprised how much you really use it. I use mine all the time.
I actually used it last night to grind down the center on the grill so my New Gold-Nissan Badge woud sit flush on the grill. 97 grill.~wise investment imo
Old 01-23-2006, 01:44 PM

Unbelieveable, I really hope this fixes my idle problem also. Did if feel like the car was ever so slightly vibrating on idle, but the second you pressed the gas a little, the vibration smoothed out, and you couldn't even tell? I also am running a little rich b/c I can smell it from the back, and I see carbon deposits on my muffler after about 2-3 days.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:47 PM

bobjohnson, did the evap codes go away? Was there a code fokr the TPS? Glad you solved your problem.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Banned

wait, why did you need a dremel, cuz ur screws were stripped?, cant I just unscrew it with a screw driver if my screws are good ?
Old 01-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by goldtooth
wait, why did you need a dremel, cuz ur screws were stripped?, cant I just unscrew it with a screw driver if my screws are good ?
Try it and you'll see My screws have never been touched since the factory and even with a screwdriver that fits perfectly, I started stripping the head.. you can always try first, but be prepared to get creative.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:40 AM
Blazin......

Originally Posted by goldtooth
Not that easy, As njmodistated. Sometimes ya gotta come with ur A-game as they say... I didnt wanna start stripping with a philips and then try it with a demolished head.

JeremysBlkMax97: Dude my car vibrated like a 69cuda... it loped it was getting so bad...even back fired out the intake once i think.

konak85The EVAP Codes went away when i sprayed WD-40 in the canister, cleaned the EVAP purge control valve w/TB cleaner, replaced some hose's and EVAP cleaning. The ECU-Codes may have dissappeared at that time, but it didnt run much better. Now the car has a steady nice smooth idle. Something ive been missing for quite some time now...
Old 01-24-2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by bobjohnson
Not that easy, As njmodistated. Sometimes ya gotta come with ur A-game as they say... I didnt wanna start stripping with a philips and then try it with a demolished head.

JeremysBlkMax97: Dude my car vibrated like a 69cuda... it loped it was getting so bad...even back fired out the intake once i think.

konak85The EVAP Codes went away when i sprayed WD-40 in the canister, cleaned the EVAP purge control valve w/TB cleaner, replaced some hose's and EVAP cleaning. The ECU-Codes may have dissappeared at that time, but it didnt run much better. Now the car has a steady nice smooth idle. Something ive been missing for quite some time now...
The EVAP system (canister, vcv behind rear wheel) doesn't affect how the engine runs... it's just a pain because its part of "emissions," so if you have a CEL for it you can't pass inspection. I had to do my canister/vcv three months ago to pass inspection.