4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Terrible sound when starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2000, 10:44 AM

When my wife cranks her auto 95 GXE in the morning the car starts fine but then it almost sounds as if she's holding the key in the start position for about another two seconds and the car lets outs this estranged winding noise like something is still spinning or some gear is still turning when it shouldn't be. It's not the high pitched grinding you hear when you try to start a car that's already started - it's close but a little lower in pitch. After the car is warm it doesn't do this at all.
Here's the last hint: which may have nothing to do with anything. -I had one of those remote staters installed 3 years ago. Let's you start the car from 100 feet away and cool or heat it. Don't know if this would have any effect.
Any thoughts?
Old 10-13-2000, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by VQ Quick
When my wife cranks her auto 95 GXE in the morning the car starts fine but then it almost sounds as if she's holding the key in the start position for about another two seconds and the car lets outs this estranged winding noise like something is still spinning or some gear is still turning when it shouldn't be. It's not the high pitched grinding you hear when you try to start a car that's already started - it's close but a little lower in pitch. After the car is warm it doesn't do this at all.
Here's the last hint: which may have nothing to do with anything. -I had one of those remote staters installed 3 years ago. Let's you start the car from 100 feet away and cool or heat it. Don't know if this would have any effect.
Any thoughts?
The starter motor has a one-way clutch called the starter drive. This part allows the starter motor to rotate the engine but does not allow the engine to rotate the starter motor. This is important because, without it, the newly-started engine would over-rev the starter motor and destroy it.

The symptom you describe may be the starter drive spinning and "saving" the starter motor. This is a consequence of the starter motor sticking, and not promptly disengaging the starter motor's small pinion gear from the flywheel's large ring gear.

If you like to do your own "wrenching" you may remove the starter motor, clean and lubricate the starter drive engagement mechanism, and re-install it. If you prefer to pay a shop for service it may be better to simply replace the whole starter motor.

The factory service manual has a good exploded view diagram of the starter motor, solenoid, and associated parts. Unfortunately, niether Chilton or Haynes provides this information. If you decide to undertake this on your own you may find it helpful to first visit your friendly local Nissan dealer and ask to look at his book. Some dealers welcome owners to do this, and even provide no-cost copies of selected pages.
Old 10-13-2000, 11:19 AM

I have no problem whatsoever with taking things apart!

Putting them back together... is somewhat tricky .. so a shop would most likley do this.. do you know about pricing.
The dealer will screw me. I know them. They don't like people. Dr. Evil heads there service dept. And I'm not kidding.
Any thoughts on pricing? Items and service to install?
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2000, 11:32 AM

Re: I have no problem whatsoever with taking things apart!

Putting them back together... is somewhat tricky .. so a shop would most likley do this.. do you know about pricing.
The dealer will screw me. I know them. They don't like people. Dr. Evil heads there service dept. And I'm not kidding.
Thanks!
Removing and installing the starter motor as a unit is relatively easy. Chilton and Haynes both have good coverage of this repair. Of the two, I prefer Haynes. You can buy the book at a bookstore or auto parts store. You may find it on the shelf at your public library.
Old 10-13-2000, 11:45 AM

Re: I have no problem whatsoever with taking things apart!

Thanks!
PartsAmerica.com is having a Launch Special, 25% discount on all parts through the end of this month. Their regular prices for a remanufactured starter are:
- Worldwide $140
- Beck/Arnley $192
- Bosch $360

http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectPa...rchFor=Starter

You may order from PartsAmerica.com and save the shipping cost by picking up your order at any of their stores.

Some Nissan technicians insist that non-factory parts lead to grief. I've had generally good experience with name-brand aftermarket parts.
Old 10-13-2000, 01:47 PM
jerryg

Any thoughts?
Your description sounds alot like the noise from the bad starter I had replaced on my 95 SE. It was in the $300-$350 range at the Nissan dealer. High, I know, but I checked one third-party shop and they were almost as much.

Old 10-13-2000, 03:21 PM

My 96 SE does the same exact thing. My question is: Is it a problem to just leave it alone? i don't really mind the noise and don't want to fix it it if it won't cause any other problems down the road.
Old 10-13-2000, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by adam714
My 96 SE does the same exact thing. My question is: Is it a problem to just leave it alone? i don't really mind the noise and don't want to fix it it if it won't cause any other problems down the road.
You may safely ignore the problem in the short term. In the long term, that starter drive will burn out. It will change from a one-way clutch to a no-way clutch and your starter motor won't start the car. You will hear a high-pitched whine but no normal Rrr-Rrr-Rrr cranking sounds. When that happens you can roll-start your 5-speed. Does your Max have an automatic? In that case, you can call a cab.
Old 10-13-2000, 07:49 PM

i've got an auto. i also have an extended warranty good for 2 more years. if i take it to the dealer now though they'll say there is nothing wrong with the starter because i brought it in recently because i had trouble starting it. which by all research and viewing of posts(<a href="http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.phtml?threadid=1238" http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.phtml?threadid=1238) led me to believe it was the starter and they said it was the battery. they put in a new battery and i haven't had that problem since but now i get this noise instead.

[Edited by adam714 on 10-13-2000 at 09:54 PM]
Old 10-13-2000, 08:16 PM

Mine does it too!

However mine has just started doing it. I think it has something to do with it getting cold outside, because it only does it on cold starts. My car is still under warranty, so it will be going in sometime next week, to get the starter replaced and the 2500rpm hesitation fixed that I took it in for last time that they replaced $500 worth of stuff and it still does it. They said they couldn't get it to duplicate the problem. This time I'll tell them to keep the car till it's fixed, I don't need it anyway, I have 2 other cars I can drive.
Old 10-13-2000, 08:56 PM

keep us posted
Old 10-13-2000, 11:29 PM

I had a similar problem earlier this year. Taking the starter out and cleaning the old grease off, then regreasing it with a high temp grease completely solved the problem. It took me an hour of my time, but it was well worth it.

Old 10-13-2000, 11:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My car just started having this problem. . . And it is also only on cold starts. . . I would be worried about removing the starter and working on it myself as I am not that technically inclined, and would be afraid of doing something bad to the starter/car. . . If I had a mechanic take the starter off and regrease it, how much do you think it would cost?
Old 10-14-2000, 12:02 AM

If you have someone else work on the starter, it would be more cost-efficient to have it replaced (unless the mechanic is a buddy that would charge you a 6-pack). I wouldn't pay more than $50 to have it cleaned and regreased.

Old 10-14-2000, 12:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I may just take it to my relative that is a Nissan Service Tech. . . It would cost me about $50 in gas, but I think I would trust him to do it rather than me.