4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anybody else tired of their max?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:11 PM

Some poeple complain about MPG, but those are the people that live far far away from their work that is killing them. I was in my friend's 99 V6 Camry and it eats gas faster then when I floor the car on mine. Another one is fixing it. For me normal maintance is doing quite well for me. Only thing I have is a POPcharger and interior blue lights that light up when you open the door. Little maintance there and here that cost me less then $100 keeps my car running and looking new. except for the numbers on my dial in the cluster but that is besides the point. Look at some of the posts, new cars= HIGHER insurance and sometimes not all new cars run new, some break down within a week. I don't know how some of you guys get tired of the MAX. Compare the max with any of the same generation cars, the max will beat all of them. STOCK

Think again about your maxima and how it has treated you while you have owned it.

Hopefully to your knowledge I love my maxima and how it has been to me.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by nismos14
How much you wanna sell it to me for?
you beat me to it
Old 02-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Doggah Bite...

im on my third one, and I can't ever see myself w/o a 4th gen, even if it's a project car. I've invested too much time into learning everything I could about them & modding them that it would be a waste to let Max's go now...
Old 02-07-2006, 08:42 PM

my car is keyed, scratched, dented, dinged, and beaten up from a battle with a land rover. It has bad struts, the nice loud engine ticking, and the starter is going bad

but i would never trade it in..i love that thing and will run it into the ground...and then after that i will buy another nissan hopefully a 350z
Old 02-08-2006, 02:13 AM

I love my car.

I still have no engine mods.

'Nuff said.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:22 AM
V^___^V

i got sick of it when the gas price went up...at one point it was $3.50/gallon for 91 octane i dont' even wanna go out.

...........that's why now there is the tC.......
Old 02-08-2006, 02:57 AM

the steering, feel, and the 'seat' just sucks dearly.. i dont feel comfortable at all.. i can't say the same for my honda though, the seats are designed well for me. feel so incontrol..
Old 02-08-2006, 04:24 AM

first off you dont have to run the car higher than 89 oct unless its turbo'd. as for gas mileage mine is about 30-32 mpg. if you drive 70 miles a day for 6 days thats 420 miles; awsome mileage.

I wont trade or sell my max untill i blow it up and then i'll get a 5th gen 3.5
Old 02-08-2006, 06:10 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

91 is recommended for optimum performance and mileage, and if you have an upgraded ecu you should be running less than 91.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

and if you have an upgraded ecu you should be running less than 91.
Are you sure about that?
Old 02-08-2006, 06:16 AM
tastey wheat

91 is recommended for optimum performance and mileage...
i think it only affects performance...
Old 02-08-2006, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by mendon99
i think it only affects performance...
I used 87 in my old Max and it got much worse mileage than I do now using 91.

I'm happy with my Maxima. There are times when I consider selling it (mostly just to get a 5-speed instead) but whenever I get in and start driving those thoughts go away. I can't afford to do most of the modifications I'd really like to so it will be a slow process that will keep me interested in her. She's got to last me at least another 5 or 6 years until I'm done school...then she'll retire to a part time driver and maybe I'll get a 5th gen.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:42 AM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Hence the reason for new paint, lip kit, wheels, BBK....

Hopefully a bigger engine to utilize the BBK and a better tranny

All the interior rattles are next
uhh i already done all those mdos that you just listed above lol

Old 02-08-2006, 08:19 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
now make it rwd......
Old 02-08-2006, 08:26 AM

I can honestly say I'm beat. I am considering selling it very soon, before the tranny goes. I know we're not supposed to say how much stuff breaks but isn't that what it really comes down to? I'm tired of my max because I'm TIRED of fixing ****. By the time I get one thing fixed my cv boot will crack, then something else. It just seems like a never ending battle and I'm on the loosing side.

Sad to say, 6 years ago I was in love with this car when it wasn't mine. Now that I've driven it and it has nearly 200,000 miles on it, its time to start thinking about my options.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:43 AM

I just got my max not to long ago and ive had a few minor engine problems so far ks o2 sesnor and it still has a miss in it i need to fix but for some reason i just love the car!
Old 02-08-2006, 08:56 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by vsamoylov

So again how much to sell it to me?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:05 AM
100 posts/7 years - woot!

After totalling my 99 GXE, I faced the choices of 1. buying new 2. buying used. I thought about all the experiences, including lurking and learning on this board, the satisfaction of repairing / modding myself, and the joy of driving a very well made, sporty and stylish car, and at a very reasonable price. I bought another 99 and rediscovered that fun again as I began remaking it the way I wanted. Sure, next I'll buy new, maybe not a max anymore, because it's evolved away from what I fell in love with. But I expect to keep my 99, and enjoy our time as we grow old together....and yes, I do have a girlfriend!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:18 AM
VK56 Inside

Ive had my car since 99. The only thing I am tired of is the stupid hail damage that I suffered last year.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Wild for Width

I think about 2-doors every now and then for their looks and sporty nature but I just really like the Maxima. As someone else said, I have come from just doing oil changes (sometimes) on my last car to doing everything that has come along so far. I like working on/driving many different cars but I always come back to the Max.

vsamoylov- I think for the amount of time and money that you have put into modding it's only natural for you to want to move up to another platform.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:20 AM

Until about a month ago, I wasn't tired of my car at all. She's got 221,000 miles and still impresses people when they ride in it. She's cost me almost nothing in repairs in all these years and has been to hell and back in some of the roughest weather all over the eastern seaboard. It has all the features I need and nothing I don't. I don't think I'd drive anything else as a daily driver.

HOWEVER, I got rear ended 4 weeks ago and although she drives right, looks ugly with $4000 worth of body damage. The trunk doesn't open now and neither does the left rear door. The original automatic transmission is strong (doesn't slip) but I'm tired of driving a slushbox, I'm really aching to get a stick and lower miles. I'm going to have to drive her for another year though, at least until I finish school and move out of the city. There's no point in buying a nice car right now.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:48 AM

no i dont think i am sick of the max...i will probably always have a max... had a 96 loved it.. then i thought i was ready to move on... traded it in for a new Dodge Magnum... great car lots of power, very comfortable ride... after driving that for a while i drove in a friends max he was selling and i missed it.. so i bought it from him... better than my old one, newer, lower miles, old one was a 96 GXE auto this one is a loaded 98 SE 5 speed love it even more now.. wife got sick of driving the magnum all the time as she doesnt know how to drive stick so we traded the magnum in for something she wanted.. a 05 durango... great truck but i would rather drive the max, unless i need the D for work...

i have driven other cars in between, i have an old s-10 that i want to sell that i used to like before i even had my max.... had a monte Carlo SS as a project car, sold that, a 99 camry... hated it.. sluggish and felt cheep

the truck is in for an accident and we have a 05 altima rental and to tell you the truth.. .i hate the thing.. i comapred it side by side and 100% sure i would take my maxima over the new altima... maybe if it wasnt the 2.5l and it was fully loaded it would be nice, but then my maxima has everything i need and want.

going back and forth to all these cars makes me apreciate my car even more... so again... no i am not sick of her... dont know if i ever will, even if she does cost me money to repair.. i know that a 7 year old car will need maintenance and repairs and Mods!!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:15 AM
What was that?

I get sick of my Maxima somedays. It usually goes away though after I drive it spirited. I am craving more power though.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Kof

Never tired. Maximas are great!!! Get tired of the one you have buy a new one!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think one of the reasons some of you guys are getting tired of your cars is that you've concentrated on looks for too long. Sure I want my car to look good, sure I want that new black paintjob. But like Neal put it, performance never gets old no mater how you look at it.

But for me it's always about making it faster, lighter, stronger, handle better, better traction, etc. And I just have too much fun with the thing. It never gets old to have the guy in the other lane look at you with WTF expression at the end of the track and give you a thumbs up.

Even when it runs 11's it'll still look stock.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:15 PM

lately the rattles have been driving me crazy, the steering is loose, the seat don't hold you at all and arent very comfortable, the car just feels wobbly and cheap....i used to like it more, but after driving my friend's cars that kind of changed
Old 02-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have wanted one a Maxima just like the one I have for YEARS, I am keeping it till it dies... or until I can afford a 350...hehhehheh.
lameo
Old 02-08-2006, 02:06 PM
keep it metal

Originally Posted by Mymax97
yea im tired of the little s*** that needs to be fixed and its starting to seem alittle slower then it used to. I need more boost.
I feel like the guy I got it from just drove it and nothing else. It seems like I spend my days off taking caring of petty nonsense.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:09 PM
keep it metal

Originally Posted by JClaw
I think one of the reasons some of you guys are getting tired of your cars is that you've concentrated on looks for too long. Sure I want my car to look good, sure I want that new black paintjob. But like Neal put it, performance never gets old no mater how you look at it.

But for me it's always about making it faster, lighter, stronger, handle better, better traction, etc. And I just have too much fun with the thing. It never gets old to have the guy in the other lane look at you with WTF expression at the end of the track and give you a thumbs up.

Even when it runs 11's it'll still look stock.
a large part of me agrees here. It seems like so much has become, dare I say, fashion over function. Your ride may look sweet, but if you're burning oil or losing fluids, who cares anyhow?
Old 02-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Blazin......

yes yes.....

Yes Maxima's DO-REQUIRE some work.

My Maxima Has given this to me
1. Valuable Knowledge of HOW-to work on a car.
2. Has built character inside myself.
3. Has taught me patience when working.
4. Has helped me think outside of the box when working.
5. Has helped me score a dozen girls at least...*3in the back seat

Sometimes we have to remember what we have learned from this experience, If you didnt learn anything, The you probably sold the car before you fixed it.

187,000miles and 1,000 maxima.org post's later...........
Old 02-08-2006, 02:27 PM

Imo, my Maxima is one of most reliable cars I've ever had. It's not my most ideal car I would ever want, but I love the way the chassis looks (that long body look <3) and it isn't a push-over in the power department with a few minor modifications from stock..

And to the post above me, great post man. You took the words right out of my mouth. My Max has also been a great 'learning and experience' car for me and my auto shop class.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by bobjohnson
Yes Maxima's DO-REQUIRE some work.

My Maxima Has given this to me
1. Valuable Knowledge of HOW-to work on a car.
2. Has built character inside myself.
3. Has taught me patience when working.
4. Has helped me think outside of the box when working.
5. Has helped me score a dozen girls at least...*3in the back seat

Sometimes we have to remember what we have learned from this experience, If you didnt learn anything, The you probably sold the car before you fixed it.
I agree.... i know more about the maxima becuase of the org and the work i have done on my old one. I know more about this than i do about other cars i have worked on as projects.. since i found the org in 2003. i found more respect for the cars and from all the inovators to the car. all the elder Org'ers have caused me to always enjoy this car. no matter what others think of it... make it your own and enjoy it!!!

all but number 5 hehehe.. wife would hate it if i had chics in my back seat other than her or my 2 kids buckled in ther seatbelts..... any others i might as well be sleeping in the back seat my self hehe
Old 02-08-2006, 02:52 PM

ya, I'm tired of my max too, with a lot of u, its the small stuff that I'm tired of always tending to, when I first bought it, I was kind of upset that mods that are worth over 2Gs will only give you relatively small gains in HP and TQ, so I'm looking for a new car as of this moment
Old 02-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Livin dreams thru his Maxima

I love my max so far ... I bought it at 185K .... currently at 187K .... I did the complete tune up i.e. gear oil, engine oil, fuel filter, pcv valve, upper and lower hose, coolant, new radiator, new alternator, new water pump, new belts, and also installed the Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustable shock/strut with the HP springs, currently sitting 1.25" lower. I bought the car with the Megan Cat back system. An estimated $1500 worth of maintenance. Some other things that need to be fixed include KS sensor, Evap sensor, and new rear rotors(currently warped). Future Mods include PR intake, new paint job, wood trim interior, 5th gen clutch, short shifter, and last but not least a new engine(depending on how i feel about the car) ...
Old 02-08-2006, 04:52 PM

I def am. My new car will be this. http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...06#post1374206

Old 02-08-2006, 07:22 PM

[url]

I think this is next for me. I'll see if I can swing the R36 next year
I love the Max but she is getting old and I work for VW..
Old 02-08-2006, 07:30 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

I been tired of this POS. But for some reason I cant stop modding it and bring myself to sell it.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Blazin......

[QUOTE=z32drifter][url]
QUOTE]

seriously man....
Old 02-08-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by z32drifter
[url]

I think this is next for me. I'll see if I can swing the R36 next year
I love the Max but she is getting old and I work for VW..
Not trying to start anything, but for some reason your sig pic looks about one hundred times sexier than that VW's pic. Maybe it's the angle...
Old 02-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was, but now my car is at Tilley's shop for a 3.5 swap plus a new paint job. So hopefully I won't be tired of it.

Quick Reply: anybody else tired of their max?