4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can I repair a scraped rim? :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2001, 09:15 AM

Yesterday I was rushing to get someplace... some ******* (in an SUV, naturally) was in two lanes including the right turn lane... I tried to squeeze in there to turn... SCRAPE SCREECH SCRAPE SCRAPE...

Took a look, only some scraping around the outer edge of the rim (thank God).

It's an alloy rim (Konig Toxxin) - is there a way to grind off the damage or something, or will is there a finish layer that will leave it looking worse?

I don't have the money to replace it or send it out to be refinished or something.

Thanks,
Shayyadin
Old 06-09-2001, 10:17 AM

nope.. you'll have to get it refinished if you want it to look normal again.
Old 06-09-2001, 12:05 PM

How much does it cost to get it refinished?

Thanks,
Shayyadin
Old 06-09-2001, 12:41 PM
YamahaRyder

Originally posted by Shayyadin
Yesterday I was rushing to get someplace... some ******* (in an SUV, naturally) was in two lanes including the right turn lane... I tried to squeeze in there to turn... SCRAPE SCREECH SCRAPE SCRAPE...

Took a look, only some scraping around the outer edge of the rim (thank God).

It's an alloy rim (Konig Toxxin) - is there a way to grind off the damage or something, or will is there a finish layer that will leave it looking worse?

I don't have the money to replace it or send it out to be refinished or something.

Thanks,
Shayyadin
Lol...I'm guessing an Ivy League school isn't in your future

Old 06-09-2001, 01:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My mom was driving the Maxima and some lady started to come over into her so she started to move towards the right and jumped the curb. My mom said she slammed on the brakes and everything she had in the seat went flying and she could smell the tire smoke when she stopped. The other lady didn't even stop. The car has stock GLE rims and about a 2 inch section on the outside is scraped and left some sharp edges. I dont really care if the color matches I just want it to be smooth again. Can that be done or am I out of luck just like Shayyadin? Thanks.
Old 06-10-2001, 12:00 AM

Lol...I'm guessing an Ivy League school isn't in your future
I've tried to control myself but this board seems to have some of the meanest folks I've ever met. Not everyone - don't get me wrong. But the few bad apples here are exceptionally cruel.

I don't know what motivates you to be so abusive, but it's completely uncalled for.

So why don't you try this on for size: a 1490 SAT, collegiate merit scholarship, 800 writing SAT II, 760 Math IIC, sophomore year placement, two-year varsity wrestler, *** Laude society, Pennsylvania Book Award, National Honors Society National Award and Performing Arts Award...

...Not to mention paying for my damned Max through my own accomplishments, independent of my family.

Front-page article in business section, Boston Sunday Globe. Profiled on Boston.com. Featured in Wired Magazine. Three articles in the Boston Globe, two picture articles. Profiled in Massachusetts High Tech. Profiled in alt.media.watch. Featured in Kipplinger’s Personal Finance. Did all of the above by the time I was sixteen.

I applied early decision to Bennington College to study writing and philosophy, and I was accepted.

My name is David Borenstein - you can look me up if you don't believe me.

Now that my damned credentials are established...

I didn't come looking for snide remarks. I came looking for the answer to a car question.

I'd appreciate a straight answer.

Shayyadin
Old 06-10-2001, 06:24 AM

I've tried to control myself but this board seems to have some of the meanest folks I've ever met. Not everyone - don't get me wrong. But the few bad apples here are exceptionally cruel.

I don't know what motivates you to be so abusive, but it's completely uncalled for.

So why don't you try this on for size: a 1490 SAT, collegiate merit scholarship, 800 writing SAT II, 760 Math IIC, sophomore year placement, two-year varsity wrestler, *** Laude society, Pennsylvania Book Award, National Honors Society National Award and Performing Arts Award...

...Not to mention paying for my damned Max through my own accomplishments, independent of my family.

Front-page article in business section, Boston Sunday Globe. Profiled on Boston.com. Featured in Wired Magazine. Three articles in the Boston Globe, two picture articles. Profiled in Massachusetts High Tech. Profiled in alt.media.watch. Featured in Kipplinger’s Personal Finance. Did all of the above by the time I was sixteen.

I applied early decision to Bennington College to study writing and philosophy, and I was accepted.

I didn't come looking for snide remarks. I came looking for the answer to a car question.

Shayyadin

Damn Shayyadin, Thats awesome. I'm a junior at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and I thought I was smart....hehe

Nice Job
Old 06-10-2001, 06:34 AM

How much does it cost to get it refinished?

Thanks,
Shayyadin
You're looking at $100/wheel. It's almost cheaper to buy a new one if you have to ship out the scuffed wheel.
Old 06-10-2001, 06:56 AM
YamahaRyder

Dear Mr. Borenstein,

I sincerely apologize for my previous comment. You mistook my humor for cruelty, and I assure you, that was not my intent. Congratulations on all of your achievements, and I am sure you will be successful at anything you set forth to do.

All of those merits, all of that studying, all of that time spent researching and writing and calculating, you have learned more than the average teenager. However, it seems that you were at a National Honor Society meeting, or doing an interview with a major national magazine, and missed out on the lesson concerning humility, etiquette, and patience.

Not only was your last post inappropriate, but it showed gross signs of immaturity. Nobody likes a bragart, David. Just remember, no matter how many awards you win, or how well you do on a test, or how many magazines you are featured in....there will always be someone who wins one more than you, or scores 5 points better than you, or is featured in 1 more article than you.

For example, I went to high school with a guy who dropped out. He came back a year later and graduated a year behind me. Finished close to last in his class, didn't even brake a 1000 on his SAT's and couldn't spell 'National Honor Society' if you handed him a dictionary. Six months after he graduated his web site, geared towards helping college students find housing near their college campus, exploded. Within one year his net earnings were 6 million dollars. The second year was even more. He is now into the third year of owning this business, and he is living a life that 97% of people couldn't even imagine. Sure, he has fancy cars, lives in a lavish house, and wears $10,000 suits...but he never let that interfere with the type of person he is. Never, would he brag about his money, or talk about his business. Never, would he attempt to put himself above someone else, or feel so insecure as to list his crudentials. I don't know anybody who doesn't like this guy, as a person. He is a very unique individual, and you would never know it from just talking to him.

Remember, there are thousands of other people that have won the same awards as you, were featured in the same magazine as you, and are members of the same clubs as you. All of us know people from high school who were all-american-this, or national-that, and when we are talking about cars, or relaxing on the Internet, a little humor isn't going to hurt anyone. Your lack of humility and feable attempt to put yourself above the other people on this board and demand a straight answer because you were in wired magainze isn't going to make you too many friends.

I'll even give you your first lesson...The appropriate response to my comment, since according to resume you could attend any college in the world, would be...

"Lol, I guess not. But does anyone really know what I can do about the rim, I really want to get it fixed."

"Now that the damned lesson is established"

I apologize again, that you mistook my comment as a "snide remark". Please understand that the majority of the people on this board that make such comments are just doing it for fun. This is a friendly board that needs a little bit of humor once in a while. (you want snide, go to the honda boards

Once again, I thank you for your time Mr. Bronestein, and I feel a little honored just knowing that someone like you is reading my post. I look forward to hearing about your accomplishments in the future, and will be following your life story as it unravles.

Shayyadin

Old 06-10-2001, 08:01 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i think...

Some of the people like to get abusive when it comes to "lurkers" or "newbie's"... Not everyone but I've noticed that many do...
Old 06-10-2001, 05:24 PM

Re: i think...

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Some of the people like to get abusive when it comes to "lurkers" or "newbie's"... Not everyone but I've noticed that many do...
wow, this is some intese shiznit. lets not get mean, lets not get mad. lets just talk about cars, i have SO MUCH sheet to learn about them its not even funny. take care guys.
Old 06-11-2001, 09:32 AM

funny thread.