4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

spraying pure oxygen...??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:24 PM
boost me.....

How would you have a set up to spray "pure oxygen" anyway....are you thinking the same way as nitrous st-up? and oh yeah, can you compress air enough to really matter at all?
Old 02-19-2006, 01:55 PM

Spraying 02 and compressing air

How would you have a set up to spray "pure oxygen" anyway....are you thinking the same way as nitrous st-up?
Sure, why couldn't you do that? 02 comes compressed in a cylinder just like N02. Except for the fact, as others have stated, your mixture would burn hot enough to melt your engine; and it would be super dangerous.
and oh yeah, can you compress air enough to really matter at all?
I missed what this is referring to. But the only reason turbo and superchargers work is because they compress air. In fact compressed air out of a tank would work better than a turbo/supercharger. It wouldn't take any engine power to compress. It wouldn't gain any heat from being just compressed. And the air would actually cool (providing a denser charge) as it is decompressed from 3000psi to +15psi.

The only problem is the tank would be heavy and depleted quickly since it would have to provide the whole air charge for the engine, rather than just occasional supplemental oxygen squirts.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by highoctane79
Here another thing you can try, put helium in your tires, its lighter than air so you can shave a few pounds and maybe a few seconds. Plus its funny when you squeal your tires cuz its higher pitched
well actually this is done in brazil alot (I don't know of any gains or anything) but we had free hellium tanks to fill our car tires, I even had it in my bikes.
I'm being 100% serious about this....
One more thing, I believe that the Helium is harder to deflate, also it makes tires stiffer. Helium molecules are alot smaller then what Air so Helium takes alot longer to difuse from the tire.... maintains pressure for a longer period of time....

Joke->
Jclaw -> build a time machine.
imagine a time machine at the track you can have a 1/4 time of 0.000
(just set the car to be at the end of the track at the same moment you leave the start of the track)
taking the fact you need to reach 80mph to activate the flux capacitor....
or a lighting bold strikes you.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:36 PM
SLOW

OK guys there is a difference between weight and mass. People often use them interchangeably, myself included in the context of cars and wheels and what not, but that's not actually correct. Just because helium is "lighter than air" doesn't mean that filling your tires with helium would "counteract" the "weight" (actually the MASS) of your wheels and tires in any way, shape or form. The reality is that your engine is spinning the MASS of the wheels and tires, which wouldn't change enough to be noticeable no matter if you had air, helium, hydrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, argon, etc in the tires. The only change in mass would be due to the SLIGHT (immeasureable) difference in the molecular weights between regular air, and whatever other gas you decided to put in the tires.

Bottom line is your car would not be any faster if you put some "lighter than air" gas in the tires.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Bottom line is your car would not be any faster if you put some "lighter than air" gas in the tires.
I never said any gains. what I'm almost sure is, the tires will deflate slower, and they will feel stiffer.... compare to air mix.
right?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:25 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by Guinader
I never said any gains. what I'm almost sure is, the tires will deflate slower, and they will feel stiffer.... compare to air mix.
right?

I don't know about any of that, and my post wasn't directed at you it was directed at someone earlier who said something about helium. When I saw helium mentioned in your post again I decided that I should post about the gains or lack thereof.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:55 PM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Mythbusters did this with footballs last week. Since its lighter than air, once the wheels are turning, it is harder to keep them turning.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:13 PM

Spraying straight o2 bad, but check this out
http://www.customenterprise.com/view.../vts/design017