4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My new intake setup (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 12:43 PM

My new intake setup (56k beware)

I know I know not another intake thread. But I think this may help some people looking for ideas on intake setups. Almost ever since I've had my car I've had a cone filter in and it ran fine. 15.8 without my y-pipe and just the filter and 15.4 with a y-pipe and cone filter. Over the weekend I went to home depot just to look around and see if i could think of some ideas for my intake. And I found a pipe(or what ever it is) that was 3" x 8' and could be stretched how ever I wanted. I dont know the exact name of it but I'm sure someone on here does. Well anyway I bought it with some 14" zipties and me and my brother put it on in about 5 min with 2 zip ties. It runs underneath the radiator, up passed the battery and directly underneath the filter. I'm not sure how much this will help the car but I'm sure the addition of cold air will do something. So what are your thoughts on this setup. Good, bad, waste of time? Here are some pics.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:45 PM
I support for what?

Oh dang that was my idea but i was thinking of putting it directly on the bottom of the filter. Did you notice anything different or did it feel the same?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Maximoneypit

haha, i did that EXACT same thing - same materials and all but ended up takin it out bc i thought it looked cheap and there really wasnt a gain.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:08 PM

I dont want to say it gave me any until i take it to the track. It does feel smoother but oof course all that could be in my head. My mom said it felt different and she didnt know about it.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

thats dryer vent (or anyother ducting really). it wont help unless its connected directly to the intake. thats not going to ram the air or suck it up with it just sitting there.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:14 PM

I bet it did absolutely nothing, the filter is going to suck in air from all around, and in order for it to pull in the cold air you have to be traveling at a speed for that air to make it all the way through the pipe ( i imagine 30+) then only part of that will be sucked in, since the filter is still sucking hot air as well. Good start and with a little bit of modifying you might be able to see some tiny gains, but at that point its a CAI. For now its just a shiney silver flex pipe sitting in your engine bay.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:18 PM

Looks good. I like the set up. I might have to try that. Maybe there is a way for you to connect the pipe more directly to the filter, rather than just direct cold air to the area.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by North
I bet it did absolutely nothing, the filter is going to suck in air from all around, and in order for it to pull in the cold air you have to be traveling at a speed for that air to make it all the way through the pipe ( i imagine 30+) then only part of that will be sucked in, since the filter is still sucking hot air as well. Good start and with a little bit of modifying you might be able to see some tiny gains, but at that point its a CAI. For now its just a shiney silver flex pipe sitting in your engine bay.
I know its going to take some speed for the air to travel through it. I'm almost never doing under 30. I just thought that adding a little colder air would do something. I do see what your saying though. Maybe 50% of the air my intake pulls in would have to be cold in order to really gain something and right now I'm at maybe 30% or 20%.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:04 PM

Any ideas if the set up was used on the stock box? Cut the under side of the stock box and run the duct into that? What kinda mod would be used to get the air up the duct?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:36 PM
I support for what?

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
Any ideas if the set up was used on the stock box? Cut the under side of the stock box and run the duct into that? What kinda mod would be used to get the air up the duct?
This is already built into our stock airbox the snorkel sitting above the radiator so I dunno what your getting at
Old 02-27-2006, 02:54 PM

The pictures made it look as the duct just sat under the cone filter. I meant if you dont have a cone can you bring the duct down the same way from the stock box to try to get some cooler air.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:09 PM

Neat design, too bad you have to take out the entire stock intake to do it.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

As others have mentioned, at a stop, air will be sucked in mainly from the engine bay (ie. path of least resistance). With the car in motion, even without the stock snorkel, the intake will get cold air. Ordinarily, if a mod *may* do some good but won't hurt, I wouldn't mind but the liability in your setup is that inevitably, you will see a lot of road debris get diverted up and clog your filter in no time. I personally do not think it's worth it.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mishmosh
As others have mentioned, at a stop, air will be sucked in mainly from the engine bay (ie. path of least resistance). With the car in motion, even without the stock snorkel, the intake will get cold air. Ordinarily, if a mod *may* do some good but won't hurt, I wouldn't mind but the liability in your setup is that inevitably, you will see a lot of road debris get diverted up and clog your filter in no time. I personally do not think it's worth it.
I did think about the debri issue but then I thought about how the injen intake is in almost the same place. Thats one reason I wasnt worried about it to much.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:49 PM

I thought of that but I had the idea of getting some type of mesh to cover the bottom of the hose might keep the bigger debris out. Also maybe a little fan that can run to the battery...prob not alot of power from the fan but maybe enough to blow some cooler air up the duct at a stand still...idk just some random ideas that popped into my head tonight
Old 02-28-2006, 04:28 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Good old metal drier vent hose running up past the HOT radiator absorbing all that heat the radiator and fans throw off from your engine brings you a nice supply of dirty hot air from down close to the road.

Just what your car needs to run faster......
Old 02-28-2006, 04:49 AM

the only way that dryer duct will make your car smoother is if you add fabric softener
Old 02-28-2006, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Good old metal drier vent hose running up past the HOT radiator absorbing all that heat the radiator and fans throw off from your engine brings you a nice supply of dirty hot air from down close to the road.

Just what your car needs to run faster......
I remember someone saying something about how running a pipe passed the radiator would make the pipe hot. I did drive around a bit at about 90 up the highway and back and checked it and the pipe was just barely warm in certain places.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:42 AM

Can always do some type of heat resistant covering around the duct. It is a dryer duct so it's meant for some heat. It's also fire-proof material so it's not gonna catch fire in the bay. There is a guard that can go on the end for like 4bucks. It's made to last in water and bad weather so it might be durable enough for a sheild for debris.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:53 AM

I think what I'll do is keep it open for a while and check that area underneath the intake after maybe a month or so to see if it is more dirty than usual. Also when it rains I'll check for water. I'll see about the heat resistant material. I actually have an industrial sized floor dryer that I will sit in front of the car and check the top of the duct and see how much air goes through it. I wish I had a thermometor to see how the temp changes. I'll video tape it and post it soon.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:14 AM

Yeah let me know because I like the idea. I think that there are a good amount of options and could possibly be work out. I just dont want to cut my box yet.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a smaller dry vac hose hooked up to the air box along with the stock ram air, I put my hand over the extra hose and I could feel a small bit of vacuum at idle, so I know it works. I would have been kinda mad because I messed up my stock box for nothing otherwise.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:12 AM

Zander, you think if I cut into the bottom/side of the stock box and run the duct down like ajcool2 it should work? Any gains at all? I wouldn't think there would be but still...I think I'm gonna do k&n filter too. Hoping for some sound or some type of small gain.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:13 AM

after driving around at 30+ mph for about a min, ur engine bay will match the outside temp,IIRC. so the cold air intake helps bring in cold air moreso at lower speeds. since ur "intake'' doesnt connect directly into the cone filter, u dont really have any actual sucking power at low speeds, when ur car actually needs the cold air. i did this same thing to one of my friends cars when i was 16 ('90 4cyl mustang) and not only did it do nothing at all, the car started throwing codes and had some trouble starting/idling. i even had a mesh grill on the bottom so i wouldnt pick up random debris and i had used bent gutter that was outside.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:25 AM

Zander, you think if I cut into the bottom/side of the stock box and run the duct down like ajcool2 it should work? Any gains at all? I wouldn't think there would be but still...I think I'm gonna do k&n filter too. Hoping for some sound or some type of small gain.
Possibly. If you haven't removed the resonators attached to the ram air you will notice a very slight increase in sound. But as for power gains its worth a shot though as long as you can get that dry hose for a couple bucks. And with the bends the chance of sucking up water or debris looks pretty slim. I did notice a small peice of paper got caught in my filter though.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:40 AM

Yeah I might try it. I've got an idea for mesh cover on the bottom of the hose and in where the hose attachs to the box to try to keep most debris out. Where are the resonators?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:44 AM

there's one under the battery, thats the only one you'll get rid of. The other one is that big black box between the MAF and the throttle body. Keep that one though, it helps low end response. You could get a straight pipe to replace it, but that sometimes hurts low end response, but it gives you some more sound.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:50 AM

Yea I def. dont want to lose any low end power. Thanks alot I think I'll take a look soon for options.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:59 AM

you know what, i was thinking about doing that, but like it was mentioned, it does seem like the air will have a hard time reaching itself up there.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:04 AM

Yeah I thought that too...I think I'm gonna try to find some type of small fan that can run off the 12v or something. Nothing huge just small enough to push some air up. Do one towards the top, one in the middle, and one at the bottom...might give enough push to put up air and maybe even to push some cooler air from the fans. Not sure yet. I still gotta look into it.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Old Maxima Legend

how much trouble to start the hose at the drivers side foglight and run it up. would be out of the way of radiator and fans ! good work aj
Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi

You could get one of them electric superchargers off of ebay to use as your fan.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Elect...42269787QQrdZ1

Or if that doesnt work maybe hook up a leaf blower and use that. I saw a video that did that on a dyno and it added power on a civic. Good luck though.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 AM

Depends on the size of the duct I imagine. Sounds like a good idea tho Ceasar.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
how much trouble to start the hose at the drivers side foglight and run it up. would be out of the way of radiator and fans ! good work aj
We had thought about it but there seemed to be a plate or some type of wall running along the side of the foglight opening. I had put my arm through and i never felt the end of it. It was at night and i didnt have my flash light so i could see through it. I'll check it out when I get home though.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Tha Snatcher

Reminds me of DonGfun's 'Gutter Intake'...
Old 02-28-2006, 10:58 AM

I was looking at something like this...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

small fan but might have enough juice to push some air.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:04 PM
scoobystoned...

Yea I def. dont want to lose any low end power. Thanks alot I think I'll take a look soon for options.
i just installed a Weapon R Dragon series short ram intake with a straight pipe. i havent noticed any loss of low end, and i have noticed that i have way more high end power. it also sounds AWESOME when revved up a little.

What i did was remove the stock airbox, but left the ram air scoop thingy and ran hose from where it connects to the bottom of the stock airbox, up to underneath my Dragon cone filter. i think this should help it suck in more cold air. I am always drving over 30 mph so there should be plenty of cold air in my engine bay.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by frodosmaxima
so there should be plenty of cold air in my engine bay.
Cold air and engine bay...those two words don't go together.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:13 AM

Well I finally took my new setup to the track. And yes it actually made a difference. I ran my PB of 15.01. In addition to the intake setup I added a grounding kit and I took my back seats out.

Heres the slip for proof.

Also it has rained a couple of times and I've checked for water around the opening of the duct and found none. And it wasnt any more dirty in that spot than what it was anywhere else in the engine bay. I'll still continue to check.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:23 AM

what if something decides to craw up ur intake duct and make itself into ur engine bay. perhaps...maybe like a little mouse....or better a snake?
what if they decide to get inside ur car through the hole in ur firewall u made to pass ur power cable thru to power ur amplifier in the trunk. (providing u have a system).
what if this little mouse starts to gnaw at ur wires???

sorry i just got out of work and my mind is everywhere else. nice setup though.

Quick Reply: My new intake setup (56k beware)