4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wierd Oil Leak...**PICS Included**

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wierd Oil Leak...**PICS Included**

Im always checking my engine for any weird leaks or anything from any spots. I recently saw a bit of oil on the top of my modified thermostat housing. well at the bottom of the timing chain, not the complete bottom, but as it "turns inward" is the leak. If I drive a bit and run my finger under there, there is a drop of oil on there...

Here are some pics of it. Im clueless. It doesnt seem like its the Valve Cover. Its too far over to be the valve cover...PLEASE HELP

Old 03-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Kevlo for President

Timing chain cover gaskets/seals(it's RTV sealant) or the vavle cover gas***. The easy one to replace would be the front vavle cover as you would already know.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Blown

I don't really see where it is leaking but it looks to be in the area of the timing chain cover. Mine leaked when I did my motor swap. I paid a shop to fix it since they pulled the motor out of the car to fix it.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:47 PM

Its leaking right on the bottom of that peice of timing chain. If it was over a bit to the right I would say it was the Valve Cover. I really dont think I want to be replacing that seal. PITA.

Maybe its the valve cover gasket

-matt
Old 03-28-2006, 03:27 PM
kormax97

i have a similar prolem but mine is closer to valve cover and i need to replace my valve cover gasket. does anyone know the part number for the gasket?

Old 03-28-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

that looks like the seal between the rear timing chain cover and the head or cam bearing retainer (something like that). im pretty certin all those gaskets are actually just permatex grey. its a big job with many bolts to get in there. basically making it worthless to fix it.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
that looks like the seal between the rear timing chain cover and the head or cam bearing retainer (something like that). im pretty certin all those gaskets are actually just permatex grey. its a big job with many bolts to get in there. basically making it worthless to fix it.
Thats what I figured. Pointless to pull the motor to fix that. I purchased that DEK with 8K miles that will be installed. I plan on installing in like two months. The leak isnt all that bad yet so I should be ok.

Jshutter, What did you use to shine up that timing chain cover ? Id like to do it before I drop this motor in. maybe hit the valve cover too.

-matt
Old 03-28-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

i only got around to using some medium grit sand paper and some metal polish. its not all that blingy, but i think for a daily driver it shiny enough.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Pay to Play

Originally Posted by matty
Im always checking my engine for any weird leaks or anything from any spots. I recently saw a bit of oil on the top of my modified thermostat housing. well at the bottom of the timing chain, not the complete bottom, but as it "turns inward" is the leak. If I drive a bit and run my finger under there, there is a drop of oil on there...

Here are some pics of it. Im clueless. It doesnt seem like its the Valve Cover. Its too far over to be the valve cover...PLEASE HELP

Weird.......I am having the same exact problem. Exept mine is really bad we could say. Ever since i installed the sc my car has a oil leak just like the arrow on the first picture describes it. Every morning my car has small puddle of oil the size of an Oriole cookie or a little bigger sometimes on the ground. My friend and i pulled the blower out thinking it could be a loose bolt or something and NOPE...NADA...NOTHING. I put the blower back on and re-tighten the bolts on the plate but still no luck. So It came down to the conclusion that its the gasket where the timeing chain cover goes, that little gray one all around. So now everytime i go out i check my oil level to make shure its ok because in order to replace that gasket it would be a big job. I mean if it would be something less complicated i think i would do it but...dude we're talking about a Big Job..and since it doesnt leak that much sometimes, im not worried about it.

Albert-