4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 maxima with a 98 engine - vacume and sensor questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 12:58 PM

95 maxima with a 98 engine - vacume and sensor questions

Hello all this is my first post!!!

I live in Ottawa Ontario Canada and im 27 I have a 95 GXE with Ypipe and 191km on the body.

I bought a 98 engine with 118km and one year warranty on the weekend and put it in.

this is my problem

there is two sensors that i do not have enough hoses or harness plugs to connect. i think one is called an absolute presure sensor and a MAP/BARO solnoid. I will have to cap or re route hoses to make it the same as my 95.

any help in this type of a job would be greatly appreciated. i have the pdf for the 98 but it is very hard to tell on the 95 what needs to go where on the 98.

thanks

Corey

If all else fails .. i will trade this car two engines and all my parts for a small truck with extended cab in good condition.

or 5000$ canadian

Cheers
Old 03-07-2006, 01:36 PM

Does your extra stuff look like the one on the left?

If so, we need to talk

Old 03-08-2006, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by pratch
Does your extra stuff look like the one on the left?

If so, we need to talk

well i dont think so the stuff im talking about is right at the front of the engine one is the Map/baro sensor it has one big line from the bottom and two nipples for a and b galleries on top. the other is a little to the left right in front of the exaust it has the same type of setup with one big line from the top that connects somewhere and two lines at the top that go into a and b galleries. the one in the front doesnt have a electric plug from my harness so it is unusable and i think i need some hoses to make the two lines going into it come over to my map/baro sensor.

i dont know if that makes any sense but that is what im dealing with
Old 03-08-2006, 07:20 AM

What you're describing is exactly the difference between CA and non-CA emissions (based on my personal experience, and diagrams I've seen); I just took a picture of the top of the plenum instead of the front of the engine where the gallery is.

Your front gallery has a few extra nubs, an extra tube, etc - as well as the extra sensor.

My statement about switching back to the original emissions came from experience. You can't power the extra sensors, you can't read their signals (even if you did power the sensors), so they're 100% an impediment to getting the car running smoothly.

Obviously there are others with more Maxima experience on this board, and hopefully they'll chime in one way or the other.

YMMV SPSFD
Old 03-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah I don't see why, if you still have your 95 ecu, that you couldn't just ignore these sensors. Use your 95 harness too and just hook up all those connectors so the ecu gets the info it needs. I really don't know what I'm talking about though.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Blown

I did the same sawp. I did a 97 into my 95. You do not use the MAP/BARO/ Boost sensor on the 95, I just have mine Zip tied out of the way. Also you do not use that emissions stuff that is posted in the pics. Just take it off, you don't have any where to hook it up anyway. Just look at you 95 engine and make the 98 engine look like that one (does that make sense), take things off or swap things over. You can PM me if you like, I did the swap a few months ago now, so its still fresh.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by cardana24
I did the same sawp. I did a 97 into my 95. You do not use the MAP/BARO/ Boost sensor on the 95, I just have mine Zip tied out of the way. Also you do not use that emissions stuff that is posted in the pics. Just take it off, you don't have any where to hook it up anyway. Just look at you 95 engine and make the 98 engine look like that one (does that make sense), take things off or swap things over. You can PM me if you like, I did the swap a few months ago now, so its still fresh.
well i know what you mean but there is hard lines that go to the front of exaust mani and i think i need either to plug or re route them to where my original one sensor sits. i think my problem is that some of the hard lines go to different spots and if i can plug them or how i can make it look like my 95.

any more help or how you did the swap would be greatly appreciated!

thanks alot for the help thus far

Corey
Old 03-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Blown

I am not exactly sure what you are talking about with out seeing it. If you want to PM me I will give you my number and I can talk to you while my hood is poped.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by cardana24
I am not exactly sure what you are talking about with out seeing it. If you want to PM me I will give you my number and I can talk to you while my hood is poped.
PM sent

ill take some pics tonight and anyone who is interested in helping can pm me and i will give you access to my web space

Thanks
again
Old 03-08-2006, 01:10 PM

Here's what the FSM shows for the differences between the rats nests.

Since my 97 engine into 95 swap is complete, and I used the 95 galleries, I'm going to suggest (again) that you go that route.

I may yet have connected one or two improperly, but the car is running beautifully, so it isn't complaining

As always, YMMV SPSFD
Old 03-09-2006, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by pratch
Here's what the FSM shows for the differences between the rats nests.

Since my 97 engine into 95 swap is complete, and I used the 95 galleries, I'm going to suggest (again) that you go that route.

I may yet have connected one or two improperly, but the car is running beautifully, so it isn't complaining

As always, YMMV SPSFD
ok now it is making more sense. the egr-canister control valve is what i had on the 95 and is still hooked up and the new egr control solnoid is the one i dont have. in 95 it looks like it was all done threw one sensor. now i just have to figure out how to cut the new sensor out of the loop.

I think making the hardlines that go to the new sensor come up and over to my egr-canister control is all i have to do.

any thoughts.. there is two hard lines from the new one that have little rubber hoses to the bottom of it and i think i will just have to extend it to the egr-canister control because right now i dont have any hoses connected to the two nipples on that.

that will give me two lines to my old sensor and that will be perfect.

any thoughts would be appreciated!

i just dont want to swap everything over if all i need it two hoses to be extended. Less work the better