4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

tinted tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 09:20 PM

Is there any way to tint the turn signal and reverse light so that it looks like the 98 jetta GT? My sister has a 98 Jetta GT and I noticed that it looks pretty good. I think it would probly look good on a 95 Max.
Old 06-11-2001, 10:43 PM

hmm

maybe you could buy some tint and sandwich it between the inner and outer lens pieces...

Or maybe spray 1 or 2 light coats of black spray paint inside the lens...

good luck

justin
Old 06-11-2001, 10:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i was thinking about doing that too with black out spray tint. there is such a product at www.autodynamic.com and some other kind by VHT on www.summitracing.com i did not go through with it because i think i read somewhere that you might have to reapply after a while. i cant imagine how nasty it will start to look once its fading. the sandwich tint sounds like a good idea. hmmmmm, maybe.
Old 06-11-2001, 11:09 PM

you could also try to tint the outside of the lens. my friend has an accord and got all clears and tinted the lens to make it half red/white... he tried painting it at first but didn't come out so well so he did the tint... looks pretty nice IMHO...
Old 06-12-2001, 12:45 AM

There's a lot of tail light spray paints and films out there. I went to a graphics shop where I live to get a transparent tinted film. I put it over my tail lights and it looks good. look at my car's homepage to see pics of my tail lights, I tinted only the turn signal part.
Originally posted by MAXTOUT
Is there any way to tint the turn signal and reverse light so that it looks like the 98 jetta GT? My sister has a 98 Jetta GT and I noticed that it looks pretty good. I think it would probly look good on a 95 Max.
Old 06-12-2001, 01:05 AM

better if u spray it but the film on outside looks alright too...some guy near me...has his tail lights tinted on a max and it's really black...he sprayed it but i can't seem to find him
Old 06-12-2001, 07:03 AM

I want to tint my front corners and my rear lights.

I thought about the paint method but I am worried it will scratch off too easily
and then would be hard to fix with out cleaning and starting over.

Others have done it with black pin stripes and spaces between the stripes.
George Sunil did this and in the picture I saw they looked pretty good.

I think sandwiching the tint is too much work.

I've decided to have them tint the lights when they do my windows.
Well, I haven't asked them if they can and how much they'd charge...
but that's my plan.

wheels/tires/springs come first though.

let us know what you did and post a pict of the outcome please.
Old 06-12-2001, 07:20 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Nah, get the spray from autodynamic.com. I've got the stuff on my 96 Max and I've had absolutely no problems. It's been on there for well over 1.5 years and been through two winters. The stuff sticks really well and is easy to apply. If you've got a black Max, like me, the butt looks completely black. Also, nearly 95% of the light still shows thru.

Dave
Old 06-12-2001, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Nah, get the spray from autodynamic.com. I've got the stuff on my 96 Max and I've had absolutely no problems. It's been on there for well over 1.5 years and been through two winters. The stuff sticks really well and is easy to apply. If you've got a black Max, like me, the butt looks completely black. Also, nearly 95% of the light still shows thru.

Dave
My max is "Neptune Blue" - pretty dark.
I think the tint will look sweet.

Did you remove the lights b4 you sprayed
or did you mask them and spray them while on the car?

How many coats did you apply?

How many cans did it take [as I recall the cans are pretty small]?
Old 06-12-2001, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave

enticiveblkmax -
where in sunnit racing - I couldn't find it...
Old 06-12-2001, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by fast97maxse

enticiveblkmax -
where in sunnit racing - I couldn't find it...

I have the spray-tint on my tailights and I've never had a problem with them, in regards to chipping or pealing or whatever, and I've had it on for 2 and a half years. You can check them out on my stupid photo page below. I masked the area and coated the housing with 3 coats of tint.

cheers,

G
Old 06-12-2001, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by fivelitrekiller

I have the spray-tint on my tailights and I've never had a problem with them, in regards to chipping or pealing or whatever, and I've had it on for 2 and a half years. You can check them out on my stupid photo page below. I masked the area and coated the housing with 3 coats of tint.

cheers,

G
thanks
looks good
probably cheaper than tinting

What kind of paint did you use?

Where did you get it?

Did it give you any kind of guide - like each coat = apx. 5%?
Old 06-12-2001, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by fast97maxse

thanks
looks good
probably cheaper than tinting

What kind of paint did you use?

Where did you get it?

Did it give you any kind of guide - like each coat = apx. 5%?
Thanks man, it was a car/glass tint spraycan from VHT. It cost me 8 bones Canadian...up here in TO. No guide bro, just make sure that you spray light coats of spray, with very little each time...because you don't want the tint to bubble, or run down the housing. I did 3 light, and even coats of the tint and it turned out very well.

holla if you need anything else!

G
Old 06-14-2001, 05:44 PM

to fast97maxse, i saw it in the summit racing catalog but i tried to do a search online and couldnt find it either. does anyone know which is better, the VHT or the one from autodynamic which cost $20 more. And where i could order the VHT brand from.
Old 06-14-2001, 06:32 PM
Disco Biscuit

Just remember, if you tint your tail lights, and someone rearends you, chances are you're gonna get screwed. It looks cool as hell, but it's not safe. I have heard of people doing that, getting rearended, and the cop pinning them at fault for the wreck, not the driver in the rear. Just something to think about if you already have high insurance.......
Old 06-14-2001, 06:37 PM

someone mentioned that the brake light still shines at 95% so i dont think it would increase the risk of rearend collisions.
Old 06-14-2001, 07:15 PM
kineshi1

50black/50red

i did it with black pinstripiing and it looks really hot, if u want to see pic email me at kineshi1@yahoo.com, or if somone can please explain how to make a sig pic ill do that, thanks

Old 06-14-2001, 08:28 PM
Disco Biscuit

Originally posted by enticiveblkmax
someone mentioned that the brake light still shines at 95% so i dont think it would increase the risk of rearend collisions.
Whether or not it shines though or not isn't at the debate. It's what the law would say. And chances are, they won't be siding with the person with tinted rears, especially if the driver in the back mentions it. I know if I rearended someone with tinted rears, I'd say something. I have seen rears with tint, and I can tell you, 95% of the light was not shining through...............
Old 06-15-2001, 06:43 AM

I wouldn't be tinting the LEDs in the spoiler
so they would still be nice and bright...

And OK, I can see how the cop might try to put some blame on you.
But what about the cars like the VW that you buy from
the dealer with tinted lights - are these people also going to problems?

Also, I believe the courts basically consider it the fault of the driver behind.
No matter what, they should be paying attention and keeping a safe distance.
[ha h - that's a larf n a harf]

Here's a horrible [and true] story to illustrate:
Guy I know pulls off the highway and heads up the exit ramp.
He hits some lady who is BACKING DOWN THE ONE WAY RAMP
becuse she didn't want the exit.
Moron could have just gone down the other side of the overpass.
And you know who's fault it was already, don't you?
The poor guy was so ****ed.

Do you think mud flaps with Yosemite Sam saying "Back Off"
would help any?
Old 06-15-2001, 09:24 AM

I have a 96 and I had my taillights tinted, but in a different way. My body shop mixed red and black paint and sprayed it on the outside, just like painting a car. 2 coats needed. It looks great. During the day, the taillights look dark dark red almost black, but when you apply the brakes, it comes on as bright as before they were tinted. At night, they look completely black, but again when you apply the brakes they come on as bright as before. I did all of my lights. The drawback is that I don't have back-up lights. I mean I do, but they are red. So I disconnected them and hooked them up as brake lights. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-15-2001, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by NUGE
I have a 96 and I had my taillights tinted, but in a different way. My body shop mixed red and black paint and sprayed it on the outside, just like painting a car. 2 coats needed. It looks great. During the day, the taillights look dark dark red almost black, but when you apply the brakes, it comes on as bright as before they were tinted. At night, they look completely black, but again when you apply the brakes they come on as bright as before. I did all of my lights. The drawback is that I don't have back-up lights. I mean I do, but they are red. So I disconnected them and hooked them up as brake lights. Just my 2 cents.
Never heard of that before.
Sounds like an interesting idea.
They put the red in the mix to enhance the red "output"?
What did they charge you for this?
Old 06-15-2001, 10:19 AM
kineshi1

heres pic of mine

this is with the pinstriping, at night or out of noon sun like in this pic it looks totally black....

Old 06-15-2001, 04:02 PM

They charge me $ 150.00 for all 4 pieces. I have had them for 4 years and no problems, except getting a ticket for no back-up lights.