4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

replacing stock y-pipe, plz help those nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by konak85
Get a long breaker bar or put pipe over wrench, give it all you got and it should come out. Remember the swivel socket.
tried it all. my buddy works at the shop and he has more sophisticated tools. and torch if needed. i dont care if the bolts break now. went to sears and got some harden bolts, washers, and nuts to replace it all. this is just temp fix for the leaking flex pipe.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by goldtooth
Anyone care to explain this to me? Is this good or bad?
Im assuming bad for environment, good to torque and putting down power??
LMK
it just sounds really loud and backfires here and there. not bad for the enviroment, well in my case. i live about 1/4 of a mile from the shop that did it for me. i wouldnt drive around like that for longer than i did. i just didnt have a choice. plus the po po's probly woulda pulled me over if the saw me.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well thanks you all for the inputs.
I got some confidences to install it by myself again.
I just lubed once again on all the bolts tonight. tomorrow is the d-day either I change it or go to shop and let them do it.
When I checked that those 2 hidden bolts in middle section (right before the flex section) tonight, I think I can reach it with swivel socket and some extension.
I will let you know How I did it tomorrow
wish me good luck
thanks
Old 03-14-2006, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by kkw1004
well thanks you all for the inputs.
I got some confidences to install it by myself again.
I just lubed once again on all the bolts tonight. tomorrow is the d-day either I change it or go to shop and let them do it.
When I checked that those 2 hidden bolts in middle section (right before the flex section) tonight, I think I can reach it with swivel socket and some extension.
I will let you know How I did it tomorrow
wish me good luck
thanks
Good luck man, but did you ever get the y-cat bolts out? Those will surely give you problems if you haven't gotten them out yet. The only reason why they came out easily for me, was because they've been out like 5-6 times in the last year, and anti-siezed every time. I had a local muffler shop cut the stock ones off and replace the bolts when I tried working on my STS.
But good luck again, hope it goes smoothly.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well Well Well

I changed my stock y-pipe with budget y-pipe today.
I wished I could install it myself.
I ended up going to mechanic to install it. I was so glad that I decide to go there before it is too late.
When I tried the those 2 Nuts to CAT today, I figured that I cant do it myself. I don't want to admitted it but....
no one touched any exhaust part since the car came out of factory. those nuts are terribly rusted and without torching it, there is no way that someone could take those 8 year old nuts out.
If you wanna do it, you can still try, but my recommendation is go to muffler shop and let them do it
(I just paid $65).
I love to fix things myself and I am real handy, but exhaust system, I won't even think twice next time. just go to shop, specially any nuts are rusted bad.
from the shop, It took 1 hour and 15min.
6 14mm nuts (3 fornt, 3 middle section)were easy to unscrew, most of time they spent was for those 2 nuts to CAT. they had to torch it many times till they took them out. they didn't replace any bolts but they replaced some nuts. (have extra same size nuts when you do it yourself in case).
final words, for your safety, valuable time, and better job done, go to shop and let them do it. period period period.
thanks
Old 03-14-2006, 07:32 PM

damn you got a good price. everyone quoted me 100bux. well i took mine to the shop lastnite and got it done for roughly 4bux(big mac meal).