4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Air Bag Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 05:21 PM

Air Bag Light

My air bag light has been flashing for a couple weeks now. I'm guessing it's just a bad sensor or something. Hopefully it doesnt explode in my face.

What should I do and where should I take it? Is this a dealership issue? Can I diagnose the problem without taking it somewhere? Note: I have a 99 and you can't pull the codes like you can on other 4th gens, plus the CEL light is Not on.

Can anyone help me out or point me to a Sticky that deals with this problem. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2006, 09:00 PM

my air bag used to blink. there is a sequence to turn it off. i forgot though. heres a rough idea though. turn key on and off without starting car. then with key in off, push the driver door jamb button by the b pillar. the thing that turns the dome light off. 5 or 6 times in 7second. if done right the light won't come on. i have been driving like an azz for a month and still no light. also i got the squence off my snap on scanner, the graphic one, it knows it all. i love that thing. jsut a thought. if i remember, i will check on it or do a search on here.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:41 PM

yeah, but what if there really is something wrong witht the airbag? I drive in boston and need all the protection i can get...

does anyone have a suggestion? should i just take it into the dealership?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Dstyle
My air bag light has been flashing for a couple weeks now. I'm guessing it's just a bad sensor or something. Hopefully it doesnt explode in my face.

What should I do and where should I take it? Is this a dealership issue? Can I diagnose the problem without taking it somewhere? Note: I have a 99 and you can't pull the codes like you can on other 4th gens, plus the CEL light is Not on.

Can anyone help me out or point me to a Sticky that deals with this problem. Thanks!
Try the 'reset' procedure found in the "stickies'. If that does not work, the dealer is likely your only option.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:17 PM

Dstyle, it could possibly be a air bag control module. Mine went on the side air bags of my 98 SE, which was the first year of their availability. Have it diagnosed and check the code. I don't see the sense of just "resetting" the light, obviously there is a problem and your air bags will not deploy in an accident... its your choice.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:21 PM

How old is your battery? Mine was on and someone told me to check the battery. If the battery drops below 9 volts it will trigger the air bag light. Have it tested. Mine failed and I replaced it. The light stayed out after resetting it a couple of times.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:38 PM

First check the stickies... and reset the light.. you may need to try a few times... but if it does not work you have a bigger problem

there is a TSB on it, the module has a problem with the Module having too short of a harness and it gets pinched and causes the Pass side air bag in the seat to not work triggering the Airbag light.. causing the system to go in safe mode... the module is around $300 alot better than buying a new airbag for $600 to $1k

TSB# ntb000043

NTB00043

If a 1998 or 1999 Maxima has the SRS light flashing, and self-diagnosis indicates either Side Module LH [OPEN] (code DA) or Side Module RH [OPEN] (code 7A), install a SRS side air bag module of the type indicated in the Parts Information section of thisbulletin to resolve this incident. This new side air bag module (with long harness) replaces both the air bag module and the seat sub-harness. See this bulletin for further details.

Part number K8EHM-7L002 Module A

Local dealer qouted me here $395

hope this helps
Old 03-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by metal_god98SE
Dstyle, it could possibly be a air bag control module. Mine went on the side air bags of my 98 SE, which was the first year of their availability. Have it diagnosed and check the code. I don't see the sense of just "resetting" the light, obviously there is a problem and your air bags will not deploy in an accident... its your choice.
Out of curiousity, how can you tell if your Maxima is equiped with side bags? Are they all or was it an option?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:52 AM

easiest way is to look at your driver or pass seat.. they will be on the sides closes to the doors you will see the SRS bag built right into the upright part of the seat.

98-99 Deluxe Seating Package had the Side air bags