4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Prelude SI vs. Maxima GXE

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 05:07 PM

I am looking to buy a new used car. I know everyone's opinion will be biased towards the Max, so try to be objective. Both are 5spds with a clean title, and both are in comprable condition with a clean title. I can get either a:

1994 Prelude Si 33k miles
Options - Sunroof, ABS

or a 1998 Maxima GXE 60k miles

They both have the basic features like power windors, power doors and air condition.

The maxima is $1000 more than the prelude (8500 vs 9500) and is from a dealer. THe prelude is from a private party to should be more negotiable.

Let me know what you think.

-jordan
Old 06-12-2001, 06:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what do you know, i had a 94 prelude SI before my max, but i totaled it hitting a telephone pole at 71mph. same out w/ 35 stiches on my elbow from the window, and thats not bad seeing as how i am 6-foot-7 in that little car. i loved it, but i love my max too. I think i like the max more b/c its more powerfull and more roomy, they only thing i dont like is that my prelude was 5spd and my max is auto, b/c i couldnt find a 5spd one for sale at the time. Still love the car, but i love the prelude too, tough decistion (and unless you put a kit and wheels on the max, it wont get as many looks as the prelude will stock) just my .02
-Barto
Old 06-12-2001, 07:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Jordan
I am looking to buy a new used car. I know everyone's opinion will be biased towards the Max, so try to be objective. Both are 5spds with a clean title, and both are in comprable condition with a clean title. I can get either a:

1994 Prelude Si 33k miles
Options - Sunroof, ABS

or a 1998 Maxima GXE 60k miles

They both have the basic features like power windors, power doors and air condition.

The maxima is $1000 more than the prelude (8500 vs 9500) and is from a dealer. THe prelude is from a private party to should be more negotiable.

Let me know what you think.

-jordan
I would let the use of the car dictate this choice.. if that prelude has the 4 wheel stearing thing then it would be a really hard choice for me..
Old 06-12-2001, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by 95GreenGLE
what do you know, i had a 94 prelude SI before my max, but i totaled it hitting a telephone pole at 71mph. same out w/ 35 stiches on my elbow from the window, and thats not bad seeing as how i am 6-foot-7 in that little car. i loved it, but i love my max too. I think i like the max more b/c its more powerfull and more roomy, they only thing i dont like is that my prelude was 5spd and my max is auto, b/c i couldnt find a 5spd one for sale at the time. Still love the car, but i love the prelude too, tough decistion (and unless you put a kit and wheels on the max, it wont get as many looks as the prelude will stock) just my .02
-Barto
My reason for looking at the prelude and not something like an integra is the safety. This will be my first nice car, so i want something safe until i am used to f*****g around with a fast stick shift car. 5 and 4 stars got the prelude, 4 and 4 for the maxima.

I was with my friend, and he ate s**t when crashing his prelude at about 40-50 on a left turn by hitting a parked (after the rain). neiter of us had any injury what so ever, and the guy in the back seat as fine except for a bump on his head)(however, he was sitting with his feet acrross the seat, so his head hit the window instead of the headrest.)

I am not sure which car to go with. I guess I will try to bargain them both down against each other and get whichever one of end up getting a better deal on. Does anyone know how much it would cost to add an electric sunroof/moonroof to a '98 maxima gxe? (i am in so cal).

Thanks,
Jordan
Old 06-12-2001, 08:57 PM
rll96se

Originally posted by Jordan

My reason for looking at the prelude and not something like an integra is the safety. This will be my first nice car, so i want something safe until i am used to f*****g around with a fast stick shift car. 5 and 4 stars got the prelude, 4 and 4 for the maxima.

I was with my friend, and he ate s**t when crashing his prelude at about 40-50 on a left turn by hitting a parked (after the rain). neiter of us had any injury what so ever, and the guy in the back seat as fine except for a bump on his head)(however, he was sitting with his feet acrross the seat, so his head hit the window instead of the headrest.)

I am not sure which car to go with. I guess I will try to bargain them both down against each other and get whichever one of end up getting a better deal on. Does anyone know how much it would cost to add an electric sunroof/moonroof to a '98 maxima gxe? (i am in so cal).

Thanks,
Jordan
Tough choice - its like comparing apples to oranges. I loved my Max for reasons different from my IS. People ask me all the time which is better. I tell them advantages of both nd try to keep it neutral cuz I am "that" torn between the two. Like one of the posts said, it all depends on how you use it. Are you going to have passengers a lot? Are you gonna sit in traffic and yell at the clutch? I wish I could have kept my Max but I needed the cash. Good luck and weigh your options carefully.

Old 06-12-2001, 09:09 PM

depends on what u use the car for

the prelude is already a lil bit old even if it only has 33K miles, but the maxima is 98 so its still pretty new, the prelude is just a sports car but the maxima is a mixture of sports and luxury, more on the luxury side. so if you just want looks go with the prelude, but if you are going to some nice dinner party , i would rather roll up in a 98 maxima than a old 94 prelude. plus the maxima is really safe, i got into an accident and i think the maxima saved me, don't know about the prelude.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:12 AM

Re: depends on what u use the car for

Originally posted by NisMoMAX01SE
the prelude is already a lil bit old even if it only has 33K miles, but the maxima is 98 so its still pretty new, the prelude is just a sports car but the maxima is a mixture of sports and luxury, more on the luxury side. so if you just want looks go with the prelude, but if you are going to some nice dinner party , i would rather roll up in a 98 maxima than a old 94 prelude. plus the maxima is really safe, i got into an accident and i think the maxima saved me, don't know about the prelude.
Prelude is actually safer. It has a 4/5 while the maxima is a 4/4.

As for my needs, i dont often transport people. The advantage of the max is obvious in that it is larger and has a more powerful effort. The advantage of the prelude is that is has a sunroof (which is very nice in the los angeles), it has ABS and it handles nicer (more sports car like handling as opposed to luxury car handling). It should also be cleaner, because it hsa low miles; to put 60k on a 98 maxima it means it was drivin often, so everything (interior wise) will have more wear).

The max is 1000 more and as is it i am pushing my budget to get the prelude. I think i will negotiate one owner against the other, and get whichever car I can get a better deal on.

Prelude might be nicer for now, and then i can swap it for a max in a year or two when i have enough green.